• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tadej Pogacar and Mauro Giannetti

Page 155 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I think the timings were all wrong today, I’m not convinced they were 3 mins down when he attacked, he was very quickly on the storer group and was about 40 secs down on nairo going over 2nd last climb. I reckon the gap was less than 2 mins when he attacked. It looked out of the ordinary but this is a terrible field. And this nairo us a shadow of previous nairo

There is something going wrong here. How is it that there is no competition? Wait, don't lambaste me. But what is he on?
The other greats suffered on the climbs, he does not. It's strange or queer or however it is said.
This 👆. Some of the other comments here are missing the point entirely. Forget about the competition, some are overstating its weakness in any case. Look at Pogacar. He does not appear to suffer on the climbs. He just rides like he’s on the flat, accelerating and then sustaining the gained velocity. Who else can do that? It’s just weird. Indeed he often crosses the line looking like he’s just rode down to the shops for the paper. In fact he did just that after yesterday’s time trial when everyone else looked like their heart was going to explode. No one else does that. Even Vingegaard usually looks a bit sweaty and breathless on the big stages.

This 👆. Some of the other comments here are missing the point entirely. Forget about the competition, some are overstating its weakness in any case. Look at Pogacar. He does not appear to suffer on the climbs. He just rides like he’s on the flat, accelerating and then sustaining the gained velocity. Who else can do that? It’s just weird. Indeed he often crosses the line looking like he’s just rode down to the shops for the paper. In fact he did just that after yesterday’s time trial when everyone else looked like their heart was going to explode. No one else does that. Even Vingegaard usually looks a bit sweaty and breathless on the big stages.
The "looks" in cycling are overrated. When i look to Roglic, it appears he is always good.

This also isn’t Pogacar’s goal to be 100% yet. Theoretically he can be even stronger at the Tour since that’s the main goal. Otherwise he has looked better compared to last year with the way he rides and looks.

I don't know how they are planning his form peaks. He's been flying since the start of March winning everything easily except the 3rd place in MSR. And this year there's no usual post-Liege pre-Tour break. I have no idea what to expect at the Tour TBH (likely a strong start but what's gonna happen in the last week?)

I think the timings were all wrong today, I’m not convinced they were 3 mins down when he attacked, he was very quickly on the storer group and was about 40 secs down on nairo going over 2nd last climb. I reckon the gap was less than 2 mins when he attacked. It looked out of the ordinary but this is a terrible field. And this nairo us a shadow of previous nairo
Pogacar was 2m23s behind Quintana at the 15km mark and this was shortly after his attack.

When Pantani won the 98 Giro, before winning the Tour that year, he actually had to sweat to drop an obstinate Tonkov. By contrast, Pogi has no competition and he is much better in the TT. Gianetti has engineered a monster who needs to be brought down, but all that scandalous Arab money, which is nothing else but sports washing, won't allow this fraud to be caught.

Tadej Pogacar achieved one of the most astonishing feats of the last ten years: a very violent sprint of 13'' at 920 watts, a minute gained in two kilometres of climbing.

translating from the italiano here:

Reactions: Luthor and SHAD0W93
He does not appear to suffer on the climbs.
Again, he does not suffer here cause he has no reason to ride anywhere close to his limit. Why would he?
And the statement that he never does is simply not true, looking back at the past 2 Tours. “I am dead. I am gone.” He lost minutes to Zimmermann, Kwiatkowski, Barguil on that day. From the same group. And looked like dying on the bike.
But if you send me and Caleb Ewan up a climb, later will also be faster and not break a sweat in the process. Tells us to beat me, he never is on the limit. But tells us also nothing else really.

Tadej Pogacar achieved one of the most astonishing feats of the last ten years: a very violent sprint of 13'' at 920 watts, a minute gained in two kilometres of climbing.

translating from the italiano here:
What does 13'' mean? Somehow I find it hard to make sense of these numbers.