• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

TdF 2017 stage 7: Troyes > Nuits-Saint-Georges 213,5 km

Page 12 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who is going to win the stage?

• Marcel Kittel to destroy them all convincingly

Votes: 42 50.0%
  • Marcel Kittel after a close sprint/photo finish

Votes: 12 14.3%
  • Arnaud Demare

Votes: 7 8.3%
  • Alexander Kristoff

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • André Greipel

• Nacer Bouhanni

• Dylan Groenewegen

• None of the above

Votes: 6 7.1%
  • Vino-option

Votes: 9 10.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Re: Re:

Melo said:
Irondan said:
Officially Kittel won by 0.0003 seconds, or 5mm.

That's a close race!

BH right now.

giphy.gif

That would be so absolutely not him.

Re:

Irondan said:

That's a close race!

The question is, what’s the margin of error in that measurement? Every measurement, now matter how sophisticated the equipment used, has a standard error. If it’s more than 5 mm, and I wouldn’t be at all surprised if it was—given the distance the camera must be from the two riders, that the two riders are at different distances from the camera, the speed they’re traveling, the error in the pixel size, and so on--it should be called a tie. Even if the standard error is less than 5 mm, there’s still a non-zero probability of assigning the wrong winner, a probability that almost definitely would be greater than the probability needed to allow a borderline drug test to be ruled non-positive.

If a rider is going to be allowed to skate because there’s, say, a 10-20% chance that his drug test result could occur without doping, shouldn’t a rider be allowed to tie if there’s the same chance that he won? Maybe the technology is good enough to say that Kittel hit the line first with > 99% probability, but that picture by itself does not address that.

Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Hagen surprisingly strong.

van Rensberg gave him a great leadout, he looked quite good yesterday and hopefully this marks a bit of a resurgence from EBH, a breakaway win before the Alps would be nice.

It was a very tense sprint, Kittel said that he didn't realize how close the finish was, which might explain why he just didn't go for it when his last lead out man pulled off.

Now it's the weekend and mountains, so I might actually watch the race, rather watching a repeat of the finish (as expected though, I don't seem to have missed anything).

Aug 17, 2016
Visit site
In the composite finish line picture every single rider has their handlebars pointing left. It does suggest that the camera was not aligned correctly and the result should be nullified.

Also EBH crossed the line with his brake levers well before Kittel. Which is odd since he's 3 inches shorter. Also Kittel was gaining so should be showing as ahead by that point as he was going faster. The rear of his back tyre should be well ahead, but it isn't.

There's a lot of things wrong with that result. Also bring back the Sag.

Re:

GreasyChain said:
In the composite finish line picture every single rider has their handlebars pointing left. It does suggest that the camera was not aligned correctly and the result should be nullified.

Also EBH crossed the line with his brake levers well before Kittel. Which is odd since he's 3 inches shorter. Also Kittel was gaining so should be showing as ahead by that point as he was going faster. The rear of his back tyre should be well ahead, but it isn't.

There's a lot of things wrong with that result. Also bring back the Sag.
That's explained by the different timing of their bike throws.

I watched and looked at a lot of the photos, and I'm not entirely sure Kittel got it. In the past photos this close were usually given to the rider going faster at the line, and that seems to be the case here. This photo was even closer than the 1990 Paris-Roubaix which took quite a while to sort out:
1990ParisRoubaix3-500x311.jpg

Or Pieter Weening's stage 8 win in the 2005 Tour:
weening-photofinish

Another win for disc brakes, I might add.

I'm starting to think the UCI allows Kittel to race on disc brakes because he's the type of rider who's unlikely to hit the brakes, ever. :)

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
Re: Re:

Merckx index said:
Irondan said:

That's a close race!

The question is, what’s the margin of error in that measurement? Every measurement, now matter how sophisticated the equipment used, has a standard error. If it’s more than 5 mm, and I wouldn’t be at all surprised if it was—given the distance the camera must be from the two riders, that the two riders are at different distances from the camera, the speed they’re traveling, the error in the pixel size, and so on--it should be called a tie. Even if the standard error is less than 5 mm, there’s still a non-zero probability of assigning the wrong winner, a probability that almost definitely would be greater than the probability needed to allow a borderline drug test to be ruled non-positive.

If a rider is going to be allowed to skate because there’s, say, a 10-20% chance that his drug test result could occur without doping, shouldn’t a rider be allowed to tie if there’s the same chance that he won? Maybe the technology is good enough to say that Kittel hit the line first with > 99% probability, but that picture by itself does not address that.

Doesn't the win go to the faster rider in the case of a dead heat? So Kittel would still be the winner in this case

Edit: Although it was Paul Sherwin that said that, so might not be accurate. Anyone know if true?

TRENDING THREADS