• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

TDF Stage 9 - Tuesday, July 13 2010, Morzine-Avoriaz - Saint-Jean-de-Maurienne, 204 k

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
ozymandias said:
Question. If the contenders go over the summit of la Madeleine as a group of 10 or so, is it possible that poorer descenders like Schleck and Basso lose contact with the group on the descent, and lose time on the stage?
Anyone in the group at the summit will be almost impossible to drop because they can easily keep up by drafting, unless it's a highly technical descent. Is it?

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Moose McKnuckles said:
That's what she said.

Ufffff Classic! :cool:

Christian said:
Depending on how things go, Schleck could be in white, polka dots and yellow at the end of the day.

That would actually be pretty bad for Saxo though, so I hope Evans stays in yellow and a breakaway goes through or one of the "outsiders" (Kreuziger, Basso, Wiggins, ...) puts in a surprise move to win a stage, gain some time.

mmmm Andy did it great on sunday but I think that a lot of ppl and specially him are right now "understimating" AC ot taking his victory too seriously... If you read what Andy has been saying he is talking too much and that is not good... take care Andy... a bad day could have it anyone... maybe AC had it on sunday and you only attacked in the last Km... you gained 10secs that is great cuz you are not a TTer... but when you have your bad day I'm pretty sure that AC is going to kill you... so if I were you I would take care about the things that I say...

auscyclefan94 said:
I think AStana will set a decent tempo but if nobody of significance is not behind or cracking, the tempo will not be that high.

mmmmm I don't agree... AC is going to save the team's energies for other moments... I'm pretty sure that he is now thinking in the pyrenees and he want to have a fresh team for that moment... tomorrow BMC is the team that is going to put the tempo...

ozymandias said:
Question. If the contenders go over the summit of la Madeleine as a group of 10 or so, is it possible that poorer descenders like Schleck and Basso lose contact with the group on the descent, and lose time on the stage?

Just Imagine Andy dropped big time from the bunch... ufffff... I want to see that and see how he manage that situation...

mmmm Basso losing contact??? Is pretty possible but remember that Kreuziger will be there so he will have help in the descent... not the same with Andy...

Tomorrow I think that Samu and LL Sanchez are going big time... LL Sanchez could maybe be dropped big time during the ascent but in the descent he could regain contact and attack for the stage... in the other hand we have Samu... he has proved that he has the legs so I'm expecting an attack 1km away from the top and he will descent like if the devil was chasing him...

A breakaway managing to survive La Col de la Madeleine? nah forget it... that climb is hell... I can see the breakaway failing in the middle of the climb...

Winners: LL Sanchez or Samuel Sanchez
Darkhorses: Kreuziger (If Basso doesn't lose contact and is with the top 10), Van den Broeck (If he can be in the top 10) or Cadel (to show that he deserve to wear Le maillot jaune)

this is going to be a pretty interesting stage and we will see who is recovering well and who is recovering GREAT... is a shame that the finish line is TOO far from the top :mad:

A

Anonymous

DenisMenchov said:
I admit that I don t known all cyclingnews forum members gender, OK?

its a joke.. a bit like "as the actress said to the bishop"

As for the stage, 20 or so riders all together at the top of the final climb, and vino to kamikaze down the hill for the win. Lance to retire from the stage at the feed zone and phil and paul to spend teh rest of the stage saying how brave lance has been and what a wonderful champion he is.

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
ozymandias said:

Yep I think there could be splits caused by differences in descending ability. Good descenders will try to take as much time as they can.

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
Christian said:
Depending on how things go, Schleck could be in white, polka dots and yellow at the end of the day.

That would actually be pretty bad for Saxo though, so I hope Evans stays in yellow and a breakaway goes through or one of the "outsiders" (Kreuziger, Basso, Wiggins, ...) puts in a surprise move to win a stage, gain some time.

I'm not sure it would be that bad, Saxo Bank could and IMO should not actually defend the jersey from anyone who isn't a legitimate threat. Let some medium descent climber like Chavanel have it, Quick Step or any other non-GC team would love to spend energy defending the jersey for 3 more days, and Andy could take it back on stage 14.

Moose McKnuckles said:
Some of those descents off the Giro were absolutely insane. That descent off the Mortirolo was sheer madness.

I liked the netting they put in places on the Gavia descent to catch riders so they would not go off cliffs. :)

But the Giro is the Giro, and the Tour is the Tour. I don't expect any mad downhill action.

Jan 13, 2010
Visit site
sometriguy said:
Vino will try to bridge to kreuziger and basso, catch them with 3k left. He will hang on the back so he doesn't aide them at all. Then he will out sprint them for the win :)
So who will lead out the sprint?

Uffffffff??

Mate....um is English your 2nd language? just asking coz WTF is "Uffffffff"?

Ryaguas said:
Ufffff Classic! :cool

mmmm Andy did it great on sunday but I think that a lot of ppl and specially him are right now "understimating" AC ot taking his victory too seriously... If you read what Andy has been saying he is talking too much and that is not good... take care Andy... a bad day could have it anyone... maybe AC had it on sunday and you only attacked in the last Km... you gained 10secs that is great cuz you are not a TTer... but when you have your bad day I'm pretty sure that AC is going to kill you... so if I were you I would take care about the things that I say...

mmmmm I don't agree... AC is going to save the team's energies for other moments... I'm pretty sure that he is now thinking in the pyrenees and he want to have a fresh team for that moment... tomorrow BMC is the team that is going to put the tempo...

Just Imagine Andy dropped big time from the bunch... ufffff... I want to see that and see how he manage that situation...

mmmm Basso losing contact??? Is pretty possible but remember that Kreuziger will be there so he will have help in the descent... not the same with Andy...

Tomorrow I think that Samu and LL Sanchez are going big time... LL Sanchez could maybe be dropped big time during the ascent but in the descent he could regain contact and attack for the stage... in the other hand we have Samu... he has proved that he has the legs so I'm expecting an attack 1km away from the top and he will descent like if the devil was chasing him...

A breakaway managing to survive La Col de la Madeleine? nah forget it... that climb is hell... I can see the breakaway failing in the middle of the climb...

Winners: LL Sanchez or Samuel Sanchez
Darkhorses: Kreuziger (If Basso doesn't lose contact and is with the top 10), Van den Broeck (If he can be in the top 10) or Cadel (to show that he deserve to wear Le maillot jaune)

this is going to be a pretty interesting stage and we will see who is recovering well and who is recovering GREAT... is a shame that the finish line is TOO far from the top :mad:

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
luckyboy said:
Has a Tour stage ever finished on top of the Madeleine?

Ha-Ha!!!
Good question from a senior member!!

I agree with all of the members saying tomorrow stage is very interesting. The problem is the focus most members have!!!!
This stage is decided on 3 factors only few speaks about!!!
1. WILL IT BE RAIN/COLD??!!
2. THE QUALITY OF BMC TEAM
3. WHO WILL BE IN THE EARLY BREAK-AWAY??

First question is extremly importent for the race, but the answer is not known yet!!!! IF rain we all can forget about a GC-duell (sorry).. The leaders will not risk anything, and will see a break-away disappear with 10 minuts!!!

Second answer is easy!! BMC will not defend Evans lead, because they know the quality of their squad!! Any breakaway will quickly earn time untill ASTANA or SAXO BANK take over, and why should they push hard????
None of them think about stage win....

Third answer will be answered in first 30 minutes of racing. It will go a early break, and BBOX and Quick Step will be there. In addition it will be some teams with special interest who problably will have people in the break. Saxo Bank (I hope Cancellara, but think Sørensen/Voigt), SKY (Flecha or Boassen Hagen), RadioShack (??) and the usually uninteresting bunch of riders from minor teams. I think the it will be 15 persons in the break.
If Hushovd is going to do the traditional crazy mountain run he do every year - his only chance is tomorrow. After a rest day, under 30 degrees - perhaps rain!!! He can quickly race up to the break after it is established. He will go with Klier and they will race together. If the weather is bad the break-away will have a big lead going into Madeleine. A few men is together at the top, and they will fight for the stage.
In the GC group it will be some uninteresting attacks, but nothing will happend.
If we get rain and less than 30 degrees....

May 22, 2010
Visit site
I actually like the fact that there is 30km after the summit of the Madeleine. If it ended at the top it would be fairly predictable, with Schleck or Contador probably proving too strong for the rest. With the summit not being the finish we may see a nice fight amongst some of the GC contenders at the top of the madeleine anyway (being worth 40 mountain points along with what they accrued on sundays stage the winner at the top could well pull on the polka jersey). I personally dont think a breakaway can survive the brutality of this climb, we may see Astana trying to break off some favourites again. Then on the downhill I think we could see a nice breakup anyway. Theres a few guys down on the GC who know they cant outclimb Schleck and Contador and will have nothing to lose, so they may try a daredevil descent and then 10km of flat to try and stay away from the chasing group.

Then again this is the TDF so ill pick Sanchez to win the sprint over the same group that topped the Morzina-Avoriaz climb together.

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Very much looking forward to tonights stage. Hoping Cadel can stick with the leaders but if not, I hope he has a real go of it on the downhill and the flat. Often he can be a bit cautious, and I think he is a better decender than he shows because he too often holds back.

Apart from that I really, really looking forward to the Contador/Schleck battle. For me, this is the most exciting Tour for a while, due to there actually being a contest, and Cadels new found racing attitude.

I predict that there will be a battle and the leaders over Madeliene will work to ensure that the gaps are held and those dropped will not come back.

Important for Basso/Sastre to be with the group due to their decending skills.

Very hard to pick a winner, for me maybe Sanchez or Gesink with Schleck and Contador in the front group.

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
RedZone said:
I actually like the fact that there is 30km after the summit of the Madeleine. If it ended at the top it would be fairly predictable, with Schleck or Contador probably proving too strong for the rest. With the summit not being the finish we may see a nice fight amongst some of the GC contenders at the top of the madeleine anyway (being worth 40 mountain points along with what they accrued on sundays stage the winner at the top could well pull on the polka jersey). I personally dont think a breakaway can survive the brutality of this climb, we may see Astana trying to break off some favourites again. Then on the downhill I think we could see a nice breakup anyway. Theres a few guys down on the GC who know they cant outclimb Schleck and Contador and will have nothing to lose, so they may try a daredevil descent and then 10km of flat to try and stay away from the chasing group.

Then again this is the TDF so ill pick Sanchez to win the sprint over the same group that topped the Morzina-Avoriaz climb together.

AGAIN!!!!
- wake up people!!!
This is a race and it is importent who wears the yellow yersey in Paris!!!!
But today will have the GC contenders 20 minuts back before Madeleine!!!
Why??
1. Because there is no point in using energy with 30 clicks downhill/flat at the end. The risks is higher than the gain!!!
2. The leader has a team who can not ( and do not want to) control the race untill Paris.

The break-away goes all the way.
There will be some attacks from the second best GC-riders in the peleton up Madeleine, and some of them might get a minut on others GC-riders... So what !!!! AS, AC, Evans will ride together all the way!!!

Noone will use team energy if they do not see a gain!!! And today noone will risk anything!!!

And remember RAIN and COLD changes everything!!!!!

If its raining and cold Cadel will be fine...actually he will be fine regaurdless.I dont anyone of the favourites will risk to much knowing what is coming in the third week.Stage favourite to win(Sanchez best downhill desender)but i will tip Kreuziger,he loves going downhill.Fingers crossed for Gesink and Menchov.(No Crashes)

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
quiet_water said:
AGAIN!!!!
- wake up people!!!
This is a race and it is importent who wears the yellow yersey in Paris!!!!
But today will have the GC contenders 20 minuts back before Madeleine!!!
Why??
1. Because there is no point in using energy with 30 clicks downhill/flat at the end. The risks is higher than the gain!!!
2. The leader has a team who can not ( and do not want to) control the race untill Paris.

The break-away goes all the way.
There will be some attacks from the second best GC-riders in the peleton up Madeleine, and some of them might get a minut on others GC-riders... So what !!!! AS, AC, Evans will ride together all the way!!!

Noone will use team energy if they do not see a gain!!! And today noone will risk anything!!!

And remember RAIN and COLD changes everything!!!!!

Quick note, and I know it's not intentional, but all the exclamation points and caps, not to mention the general attitude of your post-come off as somewhat obnoxious. Anyway, people think the break won't survive because of the severity of the Madeline. If the quality of the climbers is anything like they were yesterday, they would need an extravagant advantage to survive over the climb. And just because the yellow jersey's team won't be controlling the race-doesn't mean another team won't. There are no tough stages after this for a while, and teams like CSC and Astana have the depth to set a tough pace up the climb and not regret it later. So unless are stronger climber goes in the break, i.e Gerdemann/Karpets/Cunego, it probably won't survive.

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
blaxland said:
If its raining and cold Cadel will be fine...actually he will be fine regaurdless.I dont anyone of the favourites will risk to much knowing what is coming in the third week.Stage favourite to win(Sanchez best downhill desender)but i will tip Kreuziger,he loves going downhill.Fingers crossed for Gesink and Menchov.(No Crashes)

I know what you are saying, and traditionally, this would be the case, however I don't understand why they would wait till the last week to hurt Contador.

Rabo & Liqi are strong and should hurt Schleck and AC at every opportunity, because I think if they leave it till the Pyrenees, they can kiss their chances goodbye. or maybe, thats just me wanting to see some daring attacks talking.

Bennyl said:
I know what you are saying, and traditionally, this would be the case, however I don't understand why they would wait till the last week to hurt Contador.

Rabo & Liqi are strong and should hurt Schleck and AC at every opportunity, because I think if they leave it till the Pyrenees, they can kiss their chances goodbye. or maybe, thats just me wanting to see some daring attacks talking.

I too would like to see Liquigas and Rabobank attack but they wont cause their scared of Contadors counter attack and loosing time.If Andy Schleck was so strong on stage 8 then why did he wait to attack in the last 2 kms?(For fear of being put to the sword.)So stage 9 wont be much different and minimal time changes in overall Gc....

Oct 26, 2009
Visit site
RedZone said:

I seriously doubt that the real GC contenders are concerned about the polka dot jersey. I prefer mountain top finishes. They are much more exciting. The last downhill/flat finish that was really exciting was probably Landis' win in a late stage in 2006--when he made up lots of time. It was one of the greatest finishes ever until AFTER the tour that year. :)