• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Team Ineos Discussion thread

Page 18 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

filipepc said:
"They are there to service Chris Froome and to win the yellow jersey. There is no other goal."

And this is to me the meaning of a great team. Like them or hate them, people must understand that in colective sport this is the WAY that the best should do. You have a plan, you believe in your plan, you fight always for your plan...

Congratulations to a magnificent team, huge team ( i´m very sory that the team of my favorite rider isn´t like this one).
Hmmm. Helps if you have to money to buy riders who would lead almost every other team for GC.
If they could do what they did with Movistar's budget - *that* would be impressive. Now it is merely the logic dictated by money and a very strict hierarchy.

Re: Re:

HelloDolly said:
pastronef said:
fungusbear said:
Any very early thoughts about who will be going to the vuelta for SKY? Especially who from their tour squad will go? I am starting to think that Froome will skip it :(

Landa, Roche, Konig, Intxausti, VanPoppel, Kiry, Henao, Lopez?

Kwait & Kennaugh have no GT in legs so I think they will go
Intxausti also but form low

Roche, Konig, VanPoppel, Puccio, Lopez & Landa too

Swift may ride Tour of Britain but could go

Not sure Kiry will go and Henao may concentrate on 1 day races

I think the Brits will ride Britain: Kennaugh, Swift, Fenn, Peters...

Intxausti will ride in Spain, Landa too (he said it on the Champs Elysées), Konig, Roche

Jun 8, 2015
Visit site
Re:

filipepc said:
"They are there to service Chris Froome and to win the yellow jersey. There is no other goal."

And this is to me the meaning of a great team. Like them or hate them, people must understand that in colective sport this is the WAY that the best should do. You have a plan, you believe in your plan, you fight always for your plan...

Congratulations to a magnificent team, huge team ( i´m very sory that the team of my favorite rider isn´t like this one).

It's interesting to read this. I feel completely opposite about team Sky. The Sky Machine does consider every scenario and detail - and controls for literally everything that can be controlled. But the weather still fits the description of an element that can't be controlled or purchased...(I think). Do I resent them for having a ridiculously deep bench compared to other teams...probably

pastronef said:
HelloDolly said:
pastronef said:
fungusbear said:
Any very early thoughts about who will be going to the vuelta for SKY? Especially who from their tour squad will go? I am starting to think that Froome will skip it :(

Intxausti will ride in Spain, Landa too (he said it on the Champs Elysées), Konig, Roche

Intxausti won't have the level to make the team. Poland was a major setback for him.

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site

jalep said:
filipepc said:

It's interesting to read this. I feel completely opposite about team Sky. The Sky Machine does consider every scenario and detail - and controls for literally everything that can be controlled. But the weather still fits the description of an element that can't be controlled or purchased...(I think). Do I resent them for having a ridiculously deep bench compared to other teams...probably

Look, i´m not even a sky fan, but i think i´m a guy that love sport so much that can have a honest opinion, without being in a "BLIND MODE". Since 2012 that i see always the same, sometimes better, sometimes worst, but they do it always the same... The have a leader, they fight with the number one leader ( that wins that´s the truth) and they follow the plan...

If that´s entertainement? Maybe not, i didn´t like this tour, it was borrow, but the sky train just do what they have to do... And it works. They kill a little bit the show, it´s true, but that´s their job, to win.

The problem is in the other teams, that can´t do enought against them. Ok thei budget is higher, but Katusha, Astana, have similar budget´s. Ithink that the problem is not just that. The problem is what i´m trying to focus. They have a organization, a plan, to the outside, they are the best, an that attract riders. They want to be in that "train", because they believe in that... Other teams MUST react and fight. If you can´t have 7 or 8 top riders, at least buy 4 or 5 and try to beat them.

Sincerely i would love to see them being beaten, but i admire them.

Jun 8, 2015
Visit site

filipepc said:
jalep said:
filipepc said:

Look, i´m not even a sky fan, but i think i´m a guy that love sport so much that can have a honest opinion, without being in a "BLIND MODE". Since 2012 that i see always the same, sometimes better, sometimes worst, but they do it always the same... The have a leader, they fight with the number one leader ( that wins that´s the truth) and they follow the plan...

If that´s entertainement? Maybe not, i didn´t like this tour, it was borrow, but the sky train just do what they have to do... And it works. They kill a little bit the show, it´s true, but that´s their job, to win.

The problem is in the other teams, that can´t do enought against them. Ok thei budget is higher, but Katusha, Astana, have similar budget´s. Ithink that the problem is not just that. The problem is what i´m trying to focus. They have a organization, a plan, to the outside, they are the best, an that attract riders. They want to be in that "train", because they believe in that... Other teams MUST react and fight. If you can´t have 7 or 8 top riders, at least buy 4 or 5 and try to beat them.

Sincerely i would love to see them being beaten, but i admire them.

Please don't think I was criticizing your opinion. Only found it interesting and it's distinctly different from my own regards appreciating Sky -- maybe I feel guilty a bit about my own inabilities to see Sky as a team to be admired. I don't like dreading team Sky but can't help it, so far. :eek:

Kudos to you. I liked them back in 2011 but from there my opinion went downhill. I think of them as a menace to GT's, sorry. Very happy that Poels won LBL, though. And it's not that I don't like individual cyclists on their team. Cheers and appreciate your detailed reply.

I just wish they'd give their riders a bit more freedom. Henao had a decent chance to go for stage 20, but had to pull back to add yet another body to the sky train. Which seemed a bit pointless to me. If they actually tried to animate the race a bit more with other riders it would be easier to warm to them.

Re:

SlickMongoose said:
I just wish they'd give their riders a bit more freedom. Henao had a decent chance to go for stage 20, but had to pull back to add yet another body to the sky train. Which seemed a bit pointless to me. If they actually tried to animate the race a bit more with other riders it would be easier to warm to them.

I disagree: I think his chance was long gone by the time he was pulled back. If I recall correctly, Pantano, Alaphilippe, Nibali and Izagirre were all ahead of the group he was in when he dropped back.

TMP402 said:
SlickMongoose said:

I disagree: I think his chance was long gone by the time he was pulled back. If I recall correctly, Pantano, Alaphilippe, Nibali and Izagirre were all ahead of the group he was in when he dropped back.

He didn't make the slightest attempt to keep up with them, because he was always going to drop back.

SlickMongoose said:
TMP402 said:
SlickMongoose said:

He didn't make the slightest attempt to keep up with them, because he was always going to drop back.

That's speculation.

TMP402 said:
SlickMongoose said:
TMP402 said:
SlickMongoose said:

That's speculation.

Sure, but we won't know if Henao could have won that stage or not, because sky were never going to let him try.

Jul 17, 2016
Visit site

SlickMongoose said:
Sure, but we won't know if Henao could have won that stage or not, because sky were never going to let him try.
They had at least 4 guys with Froome, why on earth would they pull back Henao? Henao's 3rd week wasn't his best, got dropped from the break and relaxed.

pastronef said:
HelloDolly said:
pastronef said:
fungusbear said:

Kennaugh is going to the Vuelta ...as I said key SKY riders without a GT in their legs will be there if fit...Brailsford believes in having at least one in and Kwait has none so expect him to be there too ..after all he did join SKY to become a GT contender

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
Re:

Sartorius said:
Btw I really like that Sky jersey from the last TdF stage - with yellow accessories.

I really really didn't, they looked like a swarm of wasps.

The only thing I can say in favour of Sky's drab kit is that they don't keep changing it. It takes me to stage 15 or so to be able to tell who a rider is for some teams. Maybe that's why I am fond of AG2R

Jun 8, 2015
Visit site

SlickMongoose said:
TMP402 said:
SlickMongoose said:

That's what it appeared to me and why I agree with you about warming up to Sky, maybe, if they gave a few riders, at least more freedom.

If I'm honest, 2011 Vuelta was the last time I watched Sky in a GT without getting my panties in a bunch about something :eek: :eek:

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site

HelloDolly said:
Kwait has none so expect him to be there too ..after all he did join SKY to become a GT contender
So far he has managed to prove that he is awful in this regard.
Edit: but that's sometimes (or even often?) Sky case, rarely cyclists are doing great there in first year. König was little bit exception, he managed to maintain his level, otherwise I can't think of other guy who has done very well after joining Sky, but lots who were awful - Kiryenka, Kwiat more or less, Roche, Landa...

Kokoso said:
HelloDolly said:
Kwait has none so expect him to be there too ..after all he did join SKY to become a GT contender
Edit: but that's sometimes (or even often?) Sky case, rarely cyclists are doing great there in first year. König was little bit exception, he managed to maintain his level, otherwise I can't think of other guy who has done very well after joining Sky, but lots who were awful - Kiryenka, Kwiat more or less, Roche, Landa...

Roche won a stage at the Vuelta and made the Tour team last year

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site

pastronef said:
Kokoso said:
HelloDolly said:

Roche won a stage at the Vuelta and made the Tour team last year
True, but still I tend to think that he got worse at Sky. Compare that to fifth place at Tinkoff...

Given that "guys suck first year in Sky and get better second years and further on" I wonder how good König could be if he was not injured... I mean - when he sucked first year he was 6th at Giro, this year he would have to be demon. I pity he was injured, he could do great result at Giro after Landa failed.

Kokoso said:
HelloDolly said:

WATSON_00004361-037-630x420.jpg

sptdw309_1_670.jpg

Kokoso said:
HelloDolly said:
Edit: but that's sometimes (or even often?) Sky case, rarely cyclists are doing great there in first year. König was little bit exception, he managed to maintain his level, otherwise I can't think of other guy who has done very well after joining Sky, but lots who were awful - Kiryenka, Kwiat more or less, Roche, Landa.[/b]..

:confused: :D

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site

MatParker117 said:
Kokoso said:
HelloDolly said:

sptdw309_1_670.jpg
I don't understand your point, Matt. I've said first year with Sky. Vasil won WC TT in his third year there. In his first year he was awful. Regarding Landa - he was far behind his previous year level with Astana, failed at Giro. Ok, won Trentino...against poor competition - Kangert, Firsanov, Fuglsang, Konrad...that speaks for itself.

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site

HelloDolly said:
Kokoso said:
HelloDolly said:
Edit: but that's sometimes (or even often?) Sky case, rarely cyclists are doing great there in first year. König was little bit exception, he managed to maintain his level, otherwise I can't think of other guy who has done very well after joining Sky, but lots who were awful - Kiryenka, Kwiat more or less, Roche, Landa.[/b]..

:confused: :D
What?

Kokoso said:
MatParker117 said:
Kokoso said:
HelloDolly said:

sptdw309_1_670.jpg
I don't understand your point, Matt. I've said first year with Sky. Vasil won WC TT in his third year there. In his first year he was awful. Regarding Landa - he was far behind his previous year level with Astana, failed at Giro. Ok, won Trentino...against poor competition - Kangert, Firsanov, Fuglsang, Konrad...that speaks for itself.

Wrong photo, my bad:
vuelta-2013-stage-18-vasil-kiryienka-2-vuelta-website1.jpg

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site

MatParker117 said:
Kokoso said:
MatParker117 said:
Kokoso said:
HelloDolly said:

sptdw309_1_670.jpg

Wrong photo, my bad:
vuelta-2013-stage-18-vasil-kiryienka-2-vuelta-website1.jpg
Still that doesn't change my point. Compared to years to come he was bad first year at Sky. Don't you remember that?

TRENDING THREADS