• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Team Ineos Discussion thread

Page 49 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Team Sky Discussion thread

With regard to the big furor surrounding a few Team SKY riders using the new Castelli Body Paint 4.0 Speedsuit,
it seems some people here are calling for something like the NJS Keirin regulations regarding bikes and clothing.
In the interest of "fairness" maybe this is the only way forward! :surprised:

NJS-Export1000_1024x1024.jpg

Re: Re:

DFA123 said:
jmdirt said:
DFA123 said:
jmdirt said:
I already posted about this a few pages back: I have a five year old *MTB skin suit that was made by Champion during their early days (read: they weren't cutting edge), and its made using three types of material: mesh (most of the top), smooth (most of the bottom), dimpled (shoulders). Plus all of the seams are placed to control air flow. My point being that pro teams will all have access to similarly fast clothing. Hopefully someone is already testing so we can get some real numbers soon because my guess is that there isn't as much difference as was stated (especially in the rain).
*the MTB skin suit was just their TT suit with two tiny pockets sewn in the back (we used to be self supported).
I don't think they do have access to similarly fast clothing. Not if one big team has an exclusive contract with Endura and is pumping a lot of R&D into the technology, while another small team has to buy something off the shelf.

Don't get me wrong, I don't believe for one minute that the differences are as big as Castelli were claiming for Sky. But even a saving of a few watts, which I think is realistic for the big budget teams, is a 'bought' saving and distorts the competition imo.
I don't think that any team at the TdF buys off the shelf. A quick look at sponsors: Craft, Assos, POC, Oakley, Vermarc, Shimano, Endura, Giordana, Castelli, Etxeondo, Sportful, Champion, Nalini...

The numbers were given by another DS who was complaining not by Castelli.
Exactly, there's no way with so many different teams producing kits, that there is not going to be a difference in watts saved. And, inevitably, the ones spending most on R&D, supported by the richest teams, will benefit the most.
I think that you missed my point. The companies I listed are putting out the best stuff. Do you think that Castelli is doing more R&D than Shimano and Oakley? Assos, Craft, and Vermarc are still using their '80s stuff? Pealr Izumi isn't even on that list and they have a slippery TT suit that you and I can go buy today (zoom in on the construction):
http://www.pearlizumi.com/US/en/c/Men's_Pursuit_/_BLACK_Mach_5_Long_Sleeve_Speedsuit/p/411117415LC

I want to see some real numbers, but your assumption of "a few watts", seems high to me for small arm and shoulder areas (assuming that the other suit isn't just as slick).

EDIT: if an independent test finds that Castelli's new suit is 10 watts faster at 40 kph I'll buy you a beer! :D

Re:

CTQ said:
Team work,

https://twitter.com/jonathanwitty/status/886261311897825281

Shoutout to Kiry with the assist who noticed Aru was distanced and passed the message on. Great teamwork
Chris Froome also on the team work:
I knew the finish from two years ago, but I have to say that was all the team today, keeping me at the front through all those twisty corners in the final. Without the job the team did today there was no way I could have found myself in that position, especially Kwiato in the final, did an amazing job to keep me there in the last k. The last 500m he was just shouting in the radio, ‘go go go, you’ve got a gap, it’s splitting to bits back here, just push!‘. It was amazing to hear that.
Every second here - it’s still so close between the main rivals, so every second here is worth really fighting for.

Nice to see all the 6 riders left with Froome rallying around him. Chapeau to Froome too for being able to manage all that stress and motivate the boys on the road.

Top work from the team today. Days like this really show the value of having a strong team. If Landa can maintain his form in the mountains, Sky could be looking at a potential double podium.

Very interesting week ahead, and still with so many potential winners of the Tour which we've not had for years.

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site

dacooley said:
TMP402 said:
Has there been a better domestique this Tour than Kwiatkowski?
quite possible the Tour hasn't known a better domestique since froome himself 2012 times
Froome in 2012 didn't have to do a great deal. Porte and Rogers did most of the damage

That team was probably the most talented Grand Tour team of all time. 1996 Telekom team and 1986 La Vie Claire come close.

Parker said:
dacooley said:
TMP402 said:
quite possible the Tour hasn't known a better domestique since froome himself 2012 times
Froome in 2012 didn't have to do a great deal. Porte and Rogers did most of the damage

That team was probably the most talented Grand Tour team of all time. 1996 Telekom team and 1986 La Vie Claire come close.
Astana 2009 has a case.

DNP-Old said:
Parker said:
dacooley said:
TMP402 said:

Astana 2009 has a case.
Yes. They would be worth considering.

TRENDING THREADS