• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Team Ineos Discussion thread

Page 158 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I agree. @Tonton; why would you go around making yourself - and me! - depressed like that? No point speculating in what might have been.

Meanwhile, Ineos is sending the same number of GT winners to Denmark, as they're sending to Spain The Netherlands.
I know :(. And there're still many Luis Ocaña fans who re-hash the '71 Tour. Or people in Troyes (and me) who saw Pascal Simon win in '83.

Ineos has a good team for La Vuelta. If Roglic is at only 90%, Carapaz has a decent shot. They're the best run team in pro cycling, minimal loss in the TTT is very possible. After that, looking at each stage, again, each finish, again, and I think that the route sets up nicely for King Richard.

Yes, "King": "Little" is already taken ;) by the Australian in the team. And I hope that Porte gets a win before he takes a bow. He has 33 pro wins so far, like you know who :cool: . And Richie has some big ones including the GC in all of the best one-week races. Can he get one more, which was his objective for the season? I think that he can.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Ineos to buy struggling football club!

1. This is probably just the media being the media and I don't know how much truth is in it.
  2. But IF Ratcliffe does buy it he has got himself a money pit which might not be good for his other sporting interests.

What a team where even the staff breaks the hour record casually… Congratulations to Bigham.

But now that Bigham rode almost 56 kms, what will Ganna achieve? 59-60 kms?

If Ineos wins this evening‘s Vuelta TTT, it was a good day at work for Bigham: first break the Hour Record, then watch his guys win the TTT with his technical advice.

Bigham is underrated, isn’t he? ;)

What a team where even the staff breaks the hour record casually… Congratulations to Bigham.

But now that Bigham rode almost 56 kms, what will Ganna achieve? 59-60 kms?

If Ineos wins this evening‘s Vuelta TTT, it was a good day at work for Bigham: first break the Hour Record, then watch his guys win the TTT with his technical advice.

Bigham is underrated, isn’t he? ;)
And Pidcock also just won the xc MtB EC, not a bad day for the team...
About the Vuelta, I'm curious to see how Plapp does in his first GT.

Anyone know what Tao's problem was today during his interview? Very strange demeanor, lack of eye contact and fairly rude to the guy interviewing him? Is there something underlying his odd attitude do we think?

Didn't watch the race on Eurosport/GCN. Interview can be found here:

https://m.feltet.dk/video/eurosport/6932/

He looks like he doesn't want to be there. Seems quite uncomfortable. And he tells the interviewer (or someone else?) that his fly is undone. All a bit odd.

He looks like he doesn't want to be there. Seems quite uncomfortable. And he tells the interviewer (or someone else?) that his fly is undone. All a bit odd.

They interviewed him before the race a couple of days ago and he was pretty much the same apart from the flys undone and the shout out to the founders of Zwift. He's never come across like that before afaik.

I think what's missing as a context is what happens after Tao's attack when the TV coverage broke.

Was he called back tactically? Either that or he felt as if his attack completely backfired. Hence the being patient versus flight canceled comment.

I have to redundant my comment from yesterday. German Soccer player Kroos went rude on the reporter for critical questions. Others simply answer in pure phrases. Tao rather gave accurate answers and a true sight into his bad sentiments. Actually it's Kleikers that didn't ask him a single proper question.

Tao doesn't have a single bit of good luck ever since his 2020 Giro d'Italia victory. He's either ill. Used as a workhorse, after illness-harmed preperation or crashes like today.

Somehow makes it even more simpatico how a livelong domestique grabbed his one chance for glory.

Last edited:
Reactions: Monte Serra
So the early rumours are suggesting Thomas, Arensman and Rodriguez to the Giro and Bernal, Martinez and Pidcock to the Tour. Seems a sensible split of resources based on the routes. Ganna also going back to the Giro supposedly.
Sivakov and Tao will also be split I suppose. They have a huge problem now in that they have an embarrassment of riches who could all top 5 or 10 a grand tour, but nobody likely to win one (Unless Bernal is fully recovered and has continued to where he would have been at this age). At least the tour route is perfect for him with the lack of TT KMs, and the Giro route is great for G, but he is getting on.

I doubt Tao is a serious GC contender at GT's.

i think Big Coward was suggesting he could end up between 5-10 in a GT which isn’t unrealistic given he’s won one and some of the fields can be weak outside top 3/4 gc guys.

i agree with the sentiment expressed by Big Coward that unless Bernal can recover his pre-accident legs they are lacking an elite gc threat (which will be tough given the extent of his injuries and t he histotical track record of people recovering.

The biggest road talent at Ineos right now is Magnus Sheffield...he will be a one day classics beast if he keeps developing at this rate. I believe he's only 20 years old.

Ineos has no toppers for the 3 week GT races...they will just fight for leftovers after Pog, Vinnie, and Remco choose their spoils.

The biggest road talent at Ineos right now is Magnus Sheffield...he will be a one day classics beast if he keeps developing at this rate. I believe he's only 20 years old.

Ineos has no toppers for the 3 week GT races...they will just fight for leftovers after Pog, Vinnie, and Remco choose their spoils.

While I agree with your assessment of Sheffield I think it is rather weird to then discount a guy like Rodriguez, who at 21 years of age just became 7th in his first GT.

One cannot know if Bernal gets back to his best, and has even improved then. So Ineos certainly lacks a certain GT winner/podium candidate.

I think they now try to sign Vingegaard or Pogacar or Evenepoel or Ayuso. One of these four. This team (Ineos) was born/made to win the TdF. Everything else is less important.

I think Jumbo Visma and Soudal QS soon will be 1b. UAE and Ineos will be 1a. It is the money that makes the difference.

Ineos and UAE have most money, and run their teams to win the TdF. Just like USPS, Discovery, Astana, Sky, and so on: only TdF counts. So Ineos will need to have the rider who can win them the Tour as soon as possible. TGH and Carlos Rodriguez are good, but I assume Ineos are going for one of the four I mentioned. And they are going for them now, because we only have left seven full months until next Tour…

One cannot know if Bernal gets back to his best, and has even improved then. So Ineos certainly lacks a certain GT winner/podium candidate.

I think they now try to sign Vingegaard or Pogacar or Evenepoel or Ayuso. One of these four. This team (Ineos) was born/made to win the TdF. Everything else is less important.

I think Jumbo Visma and Soudal QS soon will be 1b. UAE and Ineos will be 1a. It is the money that makes the difference.

Ineos and UAE have most money, and run their teams to win the TdF. Just like USPS, Discovery, Astana, Sky, and so on: only TdF counts. So Ineos will need to have the rider who can win them the Tour as soon as possible. TGH and Carlos Rodriguez are good, but I assume Ineos are going for one of the four I mentioned. And they are going for them now, because we only have left seven full months until next Tour…

I don’t think they’ll get any of those riders. They’re all at big teams under long term contracts. Ineos have been pretty public about the fact they’re prioritising the development of their young super talents so we can be confident that they’re 2023 strategy revolves around those young guys taking big jumps forward. Most likely Sheffield/Pidcock in the classics and Rodriguez/Pidcock in the grand tours but there’s lot of other young talent as well like Arensman, the Hayter brothers, Turner, Plapp and Tulett etc who could surprise.

GT confirmed for the Giro, it really is a no brainer, 70km of TT should pretty much guarantee him a podium if he can maintain last years tour form and doesn't crash out.
I have no belief that he can beat Remco or Roglic without a bit of luck, but who else would finish above him of likely starters?
Thomas has shown that he's pretty good in cold, rainy weather (if he stays on his bike), that could help him a bit in the Giro.

TRENDING THREADS