• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Team Ineos (Formerly the Sky thread)

Page 1104 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
the sceptic said:
Everyones cleans. As long as they are british.

What is your fetish with the word "cleans" you always use?

I didn´t find it in the Oxford dictionary, but at least found something in the urban dictionary:

Definition:
Cleans
slang for clean / sterile hypodermic syringes that have never been used. Term typically used by drug addicts who inject street drugs.

Cleans
In reference to marijuana - non gritty, nice tasting, potent, clean weed. Most dealers nowadays have inferior marijuana. Most weed smokers are on a continuous search for "the cleans".

I guess you want to be taken serious with all your well thought and backed-up theories. Why than you talk "slang"? And even in slang "cleans" makes no sense in the matter of riders being clean or not.

Thanks for a kind answer in advance. :)

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
Born in Birmingham, father is British and mother is Irish*. Hence British. Since then he's elected to take his mother's nationality, most likely to ensure almost certain worlds selection.

*Just like me. Father is British, mother not and I was born in UK.

Surprised me to see Contador, as super as he had been all season, has only scored 46 cq points a day, slightly less than Froome did in 2013- 46,10 and Wiggins in 2012 -47,14.

Those are season long scores for Wiggins and Froome. Contador we are looking only at a 2 month period.

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
ultimobici said:
Born in Birmingham, father is British and mother is Irish*. Hence British. Since then he's elected to take his mother's nationality, most likely to ensure almost certain worlds selection.

*Just like me. Father is British, mother not and I was born in UK.
You can consider yourself to be what you want. That is your decision.

In school he was a bit exceptional too, and not just because he considered himself distinctly Irish even though he was born and reared in Birmingham like the rest of his schoolmates.

I can blame the horrible accent on living in Birmingham,” he’s said, “but I’ve always felt Irish. I spend a lot more time in Ireland these days than I do in England. It feels like home.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/...an-martin-ready-for-the-big-stage-235499.html

Justinr

BANNED
Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Surprised me to see Contador, as super as he had been all season, has only scored 46 cq points a day, slightly less than Froome did in 2013- 46,10 and Wiggins in 2012 -47,14.

Those are season long scores for Wiggins and Froome. Contador we are looking only at a 2 month period.

Boring ....

pmcg76 said:
What about Chris Juul Jensen of Saxo Bank, born in Ireland to Danish parents, lived for 15-16 years in Ireland, started cycling in Ireland but then moved to Denmark, represents Denmark. Dual nationality is hardly unsual or exceptional in modern times.

Excellent example. I bet he doesn't like getting labelled.

martinvickers

BANNED
Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
ferryman said:
Excellent example. I bet he doesn't like getting labelled.

Irish nationality, and national feeling, in particular is a minefield. Occasionally literally. Best not to go there if you don't understand the nuances.

In 2010 Martyn Irvine and Wendy Houvenaghal both won medals for Northern Ireland at the Commonwealth Games. Both born in the same jurisdiction, subject to the same nationality laws (both sets). One is a world champion for Ireland, the other a World Champ for Great Britain.

Or take, for example, two rugby players. One is born in Ireland of Irish parents, a short little curly haired Celt; the second never sets foot in the country till he plays there, and is blond and blue eyed as any Angle you like.

The former is Kyran Bracken, who despite the *******ised Irish first name is a World cup winner for England, and frankly as English as warm beer. The Latter is Simon Geoghegan, cult hero of Irish Rugby.

I look forward to ringside seats when someone tries to tell Simon he wasn't Irish, or frankly Kyran that he wasn't English.

Dan Martin being Irish, is no thing. Nico Roche either, for that matter, even though he rode originally for France.

Trying to tell some guy who competes for his country what he really is, is a pretty quick way for said athlete to tell you what you really are. In very short words.

May 26, 2009
Visit site
martinvickers said:
Irish nationality.....

Whilst there's a national chat thing going.

Martin, can you explain to me if it's explainable and doesn't take several years to explain, why Ireland plays Rugby as Ireland but in Football it's Northern Ireland and Rep. of Ireland? Also are there any other sports where they play as Ireland?

EDIT: If a mod can move this to an appropriate thread that would be great.

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
BYOP88 said:

Martin, can you explain to me if it's explainable and doesn't take several years to explain, why Ireland plays Rugby as Ireland but in Football it's Northern Ireland and Rep. of Ireland? Also are there any other sports where they play as Ireland?

Cricket and amateur boxing at World and Olympic level are two that are united.

The football one is a touchy subject at the moment. The Good Friday Agreement has been used here and it means the likes of Darron Gibson and James McLean who were born in the North can declare for us down here. It's a real hot topic of debate.

There was a long while back a united Ireland team that played Brazil.

May 26, 2009
Visit site
gooner said:
Cricket and amateur boxing at World and Olympic level are two that are united.

The football one is a touchy subject at the moment. The Good Friday Agreement has been used here and it means the likes of Darron Gibson and James McLean who were born in the North can declare for us down here. It's a real hot topic of debate.

There was a long while back a united Ireland team that played Brazil.

Cheers gooner.

martinvickers

BANNED
Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
BYOP88 said:

EDIT: If a mod can move this to an appropriate thread that would be great.

In short....(God help me)

Most major international sports were first set up prior to 1922 - at that stage, Ireland as a whole was still part of the UK, just.

Most major international sports were set up wholly or partly by the English; and where they did, they tended to compete against scotland, wales and ireland. as the sports went international, this strange arrangement remained the norm. See Soccer, Rugby (both codes), Cricket, Netball, until very recently Athletics and Boxing.

Evidence: lots (though not all - EWCB)of English sports orgs and comps don't have England or English in the name, they just are THE organisation - the Football Association, The Rugby Football Union, The Rugby Football League, the Lawn Tennis Association, the Amateur Athletics Assocaition etc. Because they were the first, and there was no need for further explanation.

To this day, although FIFA organises football, it doesn't set the rules. International Football Association Board does - and it's made up of 8 members - 4 from FIFA and one each from Eng, Sco, Wal and NI - at least 6 of whom most vote for any change to the laws - so the home nations, acting together have a veto (as do FIFA)

THe only exception was the Olympics. why? 'cos, frankly, it was set up by a frenchie! When the Brits set up their similar endeavour (the empire/commonwealth games) guess what?? The home nations competed seperately - including, for several years Ireland post 1922.

So historically, most major Irish sports (including, off course GAA) were played on an all ireland basis prior to 1922, and simply kept going afterwards - not least because most Irish (though not most Northern Irish) wanted Ireland reunited at some stage.

So, why is Soccer different...aah!

Soccer in Ireland, uniquely was run from Belfast, not Dublin - soccer was far stronger in ulster. as such, some Southern/Catholic clubs felt the IFA (note the 'northern irish' association is simply called the Irish Football Association, not the Northern Irish anything)...were less than even handed, and the whole war of independence thing made things worse -the final straw was IFA moving a cup semifinal featuring dublin team Shelbourne to Belfast - The Leinster regional FA, and the southern clubs broke away to form the League of Ireland and the then Football Association of the Irish Free State, As Did several 'catholic' northern clubs.

So far so good. Bear with it.

The home nations pre war ignored FIFA and didn't compete in the World Cup; they thought it was beneath them, and their Home Nations Championship was more important. Yep, seriously.

This gave the new FA-IFS an opportunity, which it took, to affiliate to FIFA and attempt to be the all-ireland FIFA recognised association.

After WWII, the home nations caught themselves on a bit, and started entering world cups - unfortunately IFA ALSO considered themselves the sole Ireland representative - and FIFA just accepted both.

So for a time you had TWO Ireland teams, both claiming universal irish jurisdiction, both in FIFA. And some players, notably MUFC hero Johnny cArey, played for both - in the same tournaments!

FIFA finally said enough's enough - the solution? The two Associations were 'coralled' into their own jurisdictions, and internationally had to be referred to as Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland - the latter still rankles with some due to a convoluted dispute over the proper name for the country, but FIFA insist.

Finally, in the last few years, after years of not doing so, the FAI (dublin FA) started picking interested players born in Northern Ireland - Gibson, McClean etc - this upset IFA a lot, and they went to CAS, but lost completely. Everyone born in NI of an Irish (north or south) born parent is entitled as birthright to Irish citizenship, which kicks in retrospectively the first time a person does an act 'consistent' with it (like apply for a passport, or use it as the nationlaity on the form) - but it not an 'acquired' nationality - you're born with the right it.

AS you can imagine, northern ireland born people who would prefer a united ireland outside the uk (nationalists - between 30-45% depending who you ask) tend to be more drawn to the team that waves a tricolour and sings amrain na bhian, than the one flying a union flag and singing god save the queen. It remains a live, and divisive, issue.

So that's why.

p.s. where all Ireland teams have survived - specifically rugby, both codes, and cricket, teams have taken to using Phil Coulter's Ireland's Call as the 'national' anthem, and playing under one of a number of flags - wikipedia articles will give you a good flavour of the flag miscelleny - 4 province flag, logo of organisation, shamrocks on a shield on a plain green back etc...

Yep, I know, bonkers.

Sep 29, 2012
dearwiggo.blogspot.com.au
go crazy said:
Is it just me, or are these topics getting way off topic lately? The contador thread and this one are making me say wtf.

Yes, they are. Someone raised the question in the Moderators thread and I flagged a few posts, but the flagging and the question were ignored, or deemed incorrect.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Yes, your right about the off topic that was here. Deleted some posts that were taking things far off topic.

Now to get things back on topic, Strong performance by Wiggins today...

MartinGT said:
Strong wheel sucking for 99% of it yes.

A very quiet 24 hours here, due to Wiggins not delivering the performance required by his critics.
Sometimes, it is wise to say nothing, even in a thread of 25000+ posts.

Your post smacks of sour grapes; it is inaccurate, since it was Wiggins who towed the chase group back to the Cancellara elite selection.
That, having just completed the Carrefour de l'Arbre section.

So, yes, it was a very strong performance, especially given that most here had him climbing off by d'Arenberg.
To suggest otherwise also belittles the race.

Justinr

BANNED
Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
Mellow Velo said:
A very quiet 24 hours here, due to Wiggins not delivering the performance required by his critics.

You mean not winning (and therefore doping) or not doing badly and showing a big drop off in form (and therefore doping in the past) ... ?

TRENDING THREADS