• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Team Ineos (Formerly the Sky thread)

Page 1082 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
Justinr said:
Its interesting that he says that. I've managed to lose twice that in the past and increase my power at the same time.

A recreational cyclist who has weight to lose, of course they can lose weight and increase power. A pro cyclist with hardly any weight to lose anyway who has been riding thousands of miles per year for years, is a totally different ball game.

Parrulo said:
Also we should take into consideration how fast wiggins lost the weight.

Didn't the supposed 8-9 Kg weight loss happen between the giro and the tour?

Wiggins at the 2009 Paris-Roubaix. Looks pretty skeletal there.

4bh9iE0E6mbv2vt38XiIHRfIo1_400.jpg

del1962 said:
Seriously is the new clinic meme that because someone worked with Sciandri then they are suspected of doping, that mean anyone at BMC last year including Pinotti is suspect?
Sciandri is of interest because he is a key figure in the set-up of British Cycling academy in Quarrata that brought up the big british stars except Wiggins and Froome.

As a rider, Sciandri's 8 pro teams were always the ones with EPO and dirty docs starting with Carrera in 1990 and finishing with CSC in 2004.
According to Richard Moore, Sciandri was a Motorola teammate and friend of Armstrong who sometimes visited him at home in Quarrata.
Max could be an interesting witness for CIRC but I doubt he will show up.

Sciandri was also a known customer, a neighbour and admirer of Cecchini who, like Ferrari, was assessing his riders on a climb near Quarrata: Monte Serra. He was also one of Peter Keen's leader for the UK RR teams in the 90's (the other was Boardman).
At the end of his pro career he became part of the UK cycling staff and convinced Brailsford to base the academy away from Manchester in Quarrata where some future UK stars like Kennaugh, Swift, Stannard, Thomas, Cav were trained.

This article from Fotheringham illustrate the probable influence of Sciandri, assessing his riders on Monte Serra, in their development :
http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2009/sep/20/tuscany-cycling-tour-de-france

Even if the Quarrata UK base has been highly successful it has been closed and Sciandri has moved on. He is now employed by BMC but IMO he is of importance on the UK cycling scene.

Justinr

BANNED
Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
Dear Wiggo said:
Biggest Loser participants can lose 5 times that amount and double not only their power output but also their time to exhaustion. Not sure your personal example is a good one.

So it can be done without doping then...

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
lllludo said:
Sciandri is of interest because he is a key figure in the set-up of British Cycling academy in Quarrata that brought up the big british stars except Wiggins and Froome.

As a rider, Sciandri's 8 pro teams were always the ones with EPO and dirty docs starting with Carrera in 1990 and finishing with CSC in 2004.
According to Richard Moore, Sciandri was a Motorola teammate and friend of Armstrong who sometimes visited him at home in Quarrata.
Max could be an interesting witness for CIRC but I doubt he will show up.

Sciandri was also a known customer, a neighbour and admirer of Cecchini who, like Ferrari, was assessing his riders on a climb near Quarrata: Monte Serra. He was also one of Peter Keen's leader for the UK RR teams in the 90's (the other was Boardman).
At the end of his pro career he became part of the UK cycling staff and convinced Brailsford to base the academy away from Manchester in Quarrata where some future UK stars like Kennaugh, Swift, Stannard, Thomas, Cav were trained.

This article from Fotheringham illustrate the probable influence of Sciandri, assessing his riders on Monte Serra, in their development :
http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2009/sep/20/tuscany-cycling-tour-de-france

Even if the Quarrata UK base has been highly successful it has been closed and Sciandri has moved on. He is now employed by BMC but IMO he is of importance on the UK cycling scene.
very interesting.

any ideas on why dowsett didn't get along with sciandri (and therefore exchanged BC for trek/livestrong)? (not that i think it's very relevant, but still)

any ideas on what came/is coming out of the mccartney investigation (if anything)?

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
Justinr said:
So it can be done without doping then...

You have obviously never been lean and trained to a reasonable level have you? The type of workouts you need to perform to improve FTP (especially at a pro level) are very difficult to perform on a restricted diet when you have little fat and non functional muscle mass to eat into.

Justinr

BANNED
Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
SundayRider said:
You have obviously never been lean and trained to a reasonable level have you? The type of workouts you need to perform to improve FTP (especially at a pro level) are very difficult to perform on a restricted diet when you have little fat and non functional muscle mass to eat into.

I never claimed that I had. I just replied to the comment that someone had implied weight loss and power increase could only be done by doping. I have personal experience of doing both without doping and also another example was also posted. In return I'm subjected to sarcastic and ridculing comments from people on here, some of whom have complained about others trolling...

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Justinr said:
I never claimed that I had. I just replied to the comment that someone had implied weight loss and power increase could only be done by doping. I have personal experience of doing both without doping and also another example was also posted. In return I'm subjected to sarcastic and ridculing comments from people on here, some of whom have complained about others trolling...
you can't keep a straight face and say you didn't see the irrelevance of your own experience here.
we were talking about weight loss at top level cycling. you knew, everybody knew.
let's keep it real justinr.

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
Netserk - There are no prizes for reporting the most posts. When you make so many reports that are quite trivial in nature, there's a risk that your reports of posts that genuinely should be reported will be overlooked.

Justinr - It might be prudent to stop your posts about weight loss, if only to save the Cycling News server from collapsing under the weight of Netserk's complaints. Whilst it's an interesting subject, it just upsets the feisty "regulars" in the context of Wiggo and when they get upset, all sorts of unpleasant stuff ends up getting posted. Thanks.

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
Justinr said:

Well I've lost a bit of weight too and gained some power last summer. It was possible because I'm a amateur and there where gains to be made. It's less realistic when u look at a pro cyclist who is in top form and winning long flat ITT. In that scenario losing 10kg and gaining power is pretty much near impossible (naturally).

Wallace and Gromit said:
Netserk - There are no prizes for reporting the most posts. When you make so many reports that are quite trivial in nature, there's a risk that your reports of posts that genuinely should be reported will be overlooked.

Justinr - It might be prudent to stop your posts about weight loss, if only to save the Cycling News server from collapsing under the weight of Netserk's complaints. Whilst it's an interesting subject, it just upsets the feisty "regulars" in the context of Wiggo and when they get upset, all sorts of unpleasant stuff ends up getting posted. Thanks.

This seems unfair. While it's interesting it's very obvious that the examples he is pushing are completely irrelevant to the discussion of professional cyclists.

I always thought reporting posts was meant to be anonymous...

mikeoneill said:
why would froome and wiggo be the only ones on the special aicar/gw sauce

what's the reasoning there?

there's not much evidence of its use in athletics

ferrari speculated about froome and mo farahs ghastly thinness on his blog..he seemed to be hinting at something there

the only other one that springs to mind is asbel kiprop
They are not the only ones. Valverde this year is thinner than ever.

TRENDING THREADS