• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Team Visma - Lease a Bike

Page 77 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
more from Zeeman, in Belgian press today:

“In terms of the standings, Vingegaard is closer to Pogacar than we expected. [...] The values Vingegaard already achieved on the shorter climbs in this Tour are the best he ever achieved in those conditions. That gives us confidence for the rest of the Tour.”

but to put it into perspective: also Caruso said that his numbers are better than ever before ;)

Reactions: stonerider
What's so weird to my eyes though is why sponsors would be more helped by Van Aert and Jonas than Roglič.

It doesn't make any sense to me. I don't buy into the idea that Roglič is less popular, if not the sponsors are Belgians and Danish.

I don't know. I do know the whole point of taking two GC captains to the race was supposedly to outgun Pogacar with two pronged attacks. But that's gone down the drain now. But even before Roglic had his massive (& irrecuperable) time loss, Jumbo hadn't exactly prioritized preserving that option on stage 5. This Tour de France was never supposed to be a question of two leaders at Jumbo in an intra-team battle to determine which one was stronger & should lead. The idea was sold as 'one attacks, Pog follows, the other counters' & vice versa.

If Jonas & Roglic were going to step on each other's toes & working for both was impossible, then Jumbo should have split them up this season & sent them to different Grand Tours.

What's so weird to my eyes though is why sponsors would be more helped by Van Aert and Jonas than Roglič.

It doesn't make any sense to me. I don't buy into the idea that Roglič is less popular, if not the sponsors are Belgians and Danish.

Jumbo is opening supermarkets in Belgium, but not in Denmark or Slovenia. So for the sponsors Van Aert probably has a special status.

I think Roglic should go & target all the spring classics next year (Milan-San Remo, Flanders, Amstel etc.). If WvA wants the Tour de France as a playground, then Roglic should be able to have some freedom in someone else's playpen as well.

Demand Roglic ride as a slave for WvA in those races, he leaves and before you know it, you turned a team with the best stage racer in the world & triple GT champion (& second in the UCI rankings) into Quick Step.

Makes you think.

I agree that Roglič should focus more in one day races but the ones that you mention are not very well suited to him. All of them are at least 250km and he already showed some weakness of these distances in the past plus it would be very difficult for him to drop the Van der Poel/Van Aert types in MSR and in RVV plus the flat sprint could be a handicap for him as well and although Amstel is the most well suited to him its just 3 days before Fleche which is the one day race that I see him winning with more likelihood so riding Amstel hard could rob him of that extra bit that he could need on Mur de Huy.

I would also like Roglič to make at least another attempt in Lombardia where he showed some weakness in 2019 and 2021 but its the only monument missing that I see him winning if he arrives there in top shape and also in the World Championships, this year's route is pretty good for him but since they are in Australia and he will ride the Vuelta I think he could skip them to focus in Lombardia.

more from Zeeman, in Belgian press today:

“In terms of the standings, Vingegaard is closer to Pogacar than we expected. [...] The values Vingegaard already achieved on the shorter climbs in this Tour are the best he ever achieved in those conditions. That gives us confidence for the rest of the Tour.”

but to put it into perspective: also Caruso said that his numbers are better than ever before ;)

Kind of strange to have expected Vingegaard be 40 or more seconds back at this point already considering the stages that were raced

Kind of strange to have expected Vingegaard be 40 or more seconds back at this point already considering the stages that were raced

It's called pr aka public relations, or what some might call 'propaganda'.

Rewind to before the TdF started & the whole focus of Zeeman in his comments regarding the Tour selection was on selling the classic-type squad as vital not just for WvA's green, but also for the first week to make a difference on GC. The first week was supposed to be Pogacar's weakness, not strength. Anyone who now claims the contrary is lying to themselves. Where could Pog have realistically gone crazy & dropped a nuke? La Planche? That's the only place which favored him so far.

But Jumbo had the squad to hurt UAE in GC on so many stages (especially the cobbles). This never happened & now here they are, claiming a mano a mano in the high mountains between Vingegaard & Pogacar is good news.

I don't think so - The only reason Vingegard is so close is because of VWA's pacing in the last 30kms of the Roubaix Stage - Vingegard was very ordinary on the cobbles, compared to Roglic but he got the rub of the green on the day.

It's called pr aka public relations, or what some might call 'propaganda'.

Rewind to before the TdF started & the whole focus of Zeeman in his comments regarding the Tour selection was on selling the classic-type squad as vital not just for WvA's green, but also for the first week to make a difference on GC. The first week was supposed to be Pogacar's weakness, not strength. Anyone who now claims the contrary is lying to themselves. Where could Pog have realistically gone crazy & dropped a nuke? La Planche? That's the only place which favored him so far.

But Jumbo had the squad to hurt UAE in GC on so many stages (especially the cobbles). This never happened & now here they are, claiming a mano a mano in the high mountains between Vingegaard & Pogacar is good news.
To be fair it's not only Jumbo who are suddenly playing this narrative. Everyone was hoping teams to gain a bit of an advantage in the first week on Pogacar due to cobbles, crosswind and other factors because of his *** team. Now suddenly I read a lot over the last days that it's great that he is "only" ahead by 40 seconds because he was already ahead by 5 minutes after stage 9 last year. Well yes, because we had the Alps and a long ITT at this point last year and Roglic crashing out.
The way Vingegaard has been hyped based of that Ventoux moment you'd think he is Pantani ready to gain minutes on Zülle Pogacar once we reach the high mountains. The whole Pogacar is weak on long climbs is getting way overblown, he had no trouble last year on Ardiden (35 minutes climb) or Portet (50 minutes). I'm not saying its impossible for Vingegaard to gain time but I'm surprised where people take their confidence.

Bjarne Riis says there's a leadership problem at Jumbo Visma: Tour de France - Riis : «Il y a un souci de leadership chez Jumbo-Visma» (cyclismactu.net)

Meningen verdeeld: Riis vond Van Aert 'stom koersen', Rowe spreekt van 'buitensporige prestatie' | Indeleiderstrui.nl

FXc_XsDXoAIeZmO

Holy hell. While I am not sure Rohan Dennis would have had this shape Horner still has a ton of points (pun unintended) here!

That's a lot of what if's in that video ...
TJV sure made some "sacrifices" in order to give Wout his wins and green jersey, but Roglič crashing into that hay bale that was dragged on the road just in front of him is suddenly Wout's fault as well? Come on now...
Oh and Dennis has been sick and recently had covid. I doubt he's in great form. And even if he was, I doubt he would have been of the same value as Wout in stage 5...

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandisfan
TJV sure made some "sacrifices" in order to give Wout his wins and green jersey, but Roglič crashing into that hay bale that was dragged on the road just in front of him is suddenly Wout's fault as well? Come on now...
Oh and Dennis has been sick and recently had covid. I doubt he's in great form. And even if he was, I doubt he would have been of the same value as Wout in stage 5...

Whatever happened with Wout until now is in the past, Vingegaard has defended the teams decisions to give him free range and it's no use wondering about what if's at this point. Speaking of Vingegaard, there is still a remarkable eagerness in this thread to cast aspersions on him, but I suppose it's better to get it out now as after tomorrow it might be too late.

I think Roglic should go & target all the spring classics next year (Milan-San Remo, Flanders, Amstel etc.). If WvA wants the Tour de France as a playground, then Roglic should be able to have some freedom in someone else's playpen as well.

Demand Roglic ride as a slave for WvA in those races, he leaves and before you know it, you turned a team with the best stage racer in the world & triple GT champion (& second in the UCI rankings) into Quick Step.

Makes you think.
You make absolutely zero sense. It doesnt make you think at all since what you posted is absolute gibberish. But Im obviously welcoming Roglic to race these races, he did very well in MSR already this year as everybody remembers!

Yeah, he kinda costed Wout a win after Wout saved him one week earlier in France.

• Haha
Reactions: johnymax
Look, go into tantrums all you want but there is absolutely no denying that WVA rode for himself, without any team strategy and feels that he can do it AFTER acknowledging months before that there shouldn't be a problem with JV Team pursuing the green and the yellow jersey.

You wanna be the poster boy? Fine. But don't dare to say that you're riding for the team.

And Vingo makes absotutely no sense, just like JV's strategy.

Reactions: acm
You guys forget that in nearly every single GT, the strongest rider wins. Its pretty simple. There's 5-6 stages where it just comes down to who has the best legs out of Vingegaard and Pogacar, and 4 of them are high mountains MTFs. Jumbo understandably backs Vingegaard since they think he can win, and obviously support Wout a bit on top of that since he'll net you 3-4 stages and a green jersey for close to free.

It all makes sense, but all you guys absolutely love to dwell on tactics that has close to no impact on the race. Could Vingegaard have gotten 10 seconds at stage 4? Sure, but going alone was the safer option after getting triple 2nds in Denmark. Was stage 6 stupid? Yes, in hindsight, but who in their right mind would have thought nobody else would join these 3 riders and that Jasper Phillipsen of all people think he could have won and therefore put his team on the front? After the stage he even stated: "The climb was just 1 km too long!". Lord have mercy, the climb was 1,6 km you absolutely tool. I lol'led so hard when I heard him say that, unironically. Stuff like that happens in the Tour, riders gets overconfident and chase for no reason. They prolly had their eyes set on the stage and kept on doing so even after knowing Mathieu showed up in absolutely putrid shape for his lofty standards. Pogacar gained 10 seconds instead of possibly 6 if Wout would have won, but theres no guarantees. Thats a difference at 4 seconds at worst/best depending on how you look at it.

Now, lets say Wout waited for Vingegaard on stage 4and he won stage 6 ahead of Pogacar. First of, no guarantees they even make it to the finish, but lets assume they do. Vingegaard gets 3rd (4 secs) and an advantage of 10 seconds (which is very generous). He would have gained 14 seconds, and Pogacar would have gained 4 less on stage 6. Thats 18 seconds diff. Chances are they would have gotten caught anyways, who knows.

Now, how many seconds did Wout save on stage 5? I dont think it was seconds, I think were talking minutes.

Riis and Horner are notorious for stating stuff like that. Its what Horner has made an career off of, basically criticizing everyone and to Bjarne, theres only one thing that matters and that is the GC. Guy doesnt care about anything else and has time and time again been on danish TV criticizing everybody and their moms for doing everything wrong, just like Horner. Trust me on that one. Here's a guy who desperately wants to show he knows much more and is much better than virtually every DS. I wonder how he woulda felt about all this if he had Wout on his team instead of Cancellara in the 07-10 years. Cancellara was fine being more or less a domestique throughout these races since he had small chance of winning anything else than time trials in a Tour-setting. He did so on what, one occasion in 07, and was 100% dom on the cobbled stage in 10 (just like Wout). But if he had Wouts skillset, im absolutely positive Riis would have managed his team differently because you SIMPLY CANNOT keep such a rider down. I have said it many times, but its Peter Sagan on steroids right now. Sagan has never been this good in TdF. At least I cannot remember. These two complaining about Jumbo is the least surprising in the whole cycling world.

Vingegaard is in the perfect position, and now its time to strike. What more could you want? You even have 2 stages already and green jersey. You guys will most likely point to the first week and yell Rabofail like hysterical children if he loses the races with 10-20 seconds, but I do not need to remind you guys how much worse it could have been without Wout on stage 5 to Arenberg. The only one to blame would be Vingegaard himself after that hilarious bikeswap/whatever that was.

Last edited:
You guys forget that in nearly every single GT, the strongest rider wins. Its pretty simple. There's 5-6 stages where it just comes down to who has the best legs out of Vingegaard and Pogacar, and 4 of them are high mountains MTFs. Jumbo understandably backs Vingegaard since they think he can win, and obviously support Wout a bit on top of that since he'll net you 3-4 stages and a green jersey for close to free.

It all makes sense, but all you guys absolutely love to dwell on tactics that has close to no impact on the race. Could Vingegaard have gotten 10 seconds at stage 4? Sure, but going alone was the safer option after getting triple 2nds in Denmark. Was stage 6 stupid? Yes, in hindsight, but who in their right mind would have thought nobody else would join these 3 riders and that Jasper Phillipsen of all people think he could have won and therefore put his team on the front? After the stage he even stated: "The climb was just 1 km too long!". Lord have mercy, the climb was 1,6 km you absolutely tool. I lol'led so hard when I heard him say that, unironically. Stuff like that happens in the Tour, riders gets overconfident and chase for no reason. They prolly had their eyes set on the stage and kept on doing so even after knowing Mathieu showed up in absolutely putrid shape for his lofty standards. Pogacar gained 10 seconds instead of possibly 6 if Wout would have won, but theres no guarantees. Thats a difference at 4 seconds at worst/best depending on how you look at it.

Now, lets say Wout waited for Vingegaard on stage 4and he won stage 6 ahead of Pogacar. First of, no guarantees they even make it to the finish, but lets assume they do. Vingegaard gets 3rd (4 secs) and an advantage of 10 seconds (which is very generous). He would have gained 14 seconds, and Pogacar would have gained 4 less on stage 6. Thats 18 seconds diff. Chances are they would have gotten caught anyways, who knows.

Now, how many seconds did Wout save on stage 5? I dont think it was seconds, I think were talking minutes.

Riis and Horner are notorious for stating stuff like that. Its what Horner has made an career off of, basically criticizing everyone and to Bjarne, theres only one thing that matters and that is the GC. Guy doesnt care about anything else and has time and time again been on danish TV criticizing everybody and their moms for doing everything wrong, just like Horner. Trust me on that one. Here's a guy who desperately wants to show he knows much more and is much better than virtually every DS. I wonder how he woulda felt about all this if he had Wout on his team instead of Cancellara in the 07-10 years. Cancellara was fine being more or less a domestique throughout these races since he had small chance of winning anything else than time trials in a Tour-setting. He did so on what, one occasion in 07, and was 100% dom on the cobbled stage in 10 (just like Wout). But if he had Wouts skillset, im absolutely positive Riis would have managed his team differently because you SIMPLY CANNOT keep such a rider down. I have said it many times, but its Peter Sagan on steroids right now. Sagan has never been this good in TdF. At least I cannot remember.

Vingegaard is in the perfect position, and now its time to strike. What more could you want? You even have 2 stages already and green jersey. You guys will most likely point to the first week and yell Rabofail like hysterical children if he loses the races with 10-20 seconds, but I do not need to remind you guys how much worse it could have been without Wout on stage 5 to Arenberg. The only one to blame would be Vingegaard himself after that hilarious bikeswap/whatever that was.

If Vingegaard loses the GC by less than 1 minute that won't be a bad result from him at all, he will keep getting stronger every year and is still only 25. You can argue Pogacar will keep getting stronger as well but I think he is closer to his full potential. I think he will drop Pogacar at least once on one of the big climbs this year, and if it's not followed by a descent where he has no help (Wout?) he will gain time back. The final TT will be decisive but Pogacar is still the clear favorite despite his weak team. Tomorrow a lot of questions will be answered, it will be interesting to see if Roglic can be a big factor in the remaining part of the race.

I was prepared to disagree with Hornet’s takes, but he does make some sense. His general take was that a dedicated strong superdom like Dennis or Wout behaving as a superdom would have behaved differently and had myriad impacts on the race. It would not have prevented the hay bail, of course. But his argument is that Wout was tucked in the back saving strength so he could go for the win instead of controlling from the front and guiding his GC contenders. Because he was saving strength by being farther back, he crashed, and because he was riding for himself, he rode by Vingo when Vingo was doing his weird thing with the biked, which meant he later had to drop back to shepherd Vingo back from a much worse deficit than it should have been. And also meant he was not there with Roglic at the front, who, instead of being on the wheel of a strongman like Wout at the front of the race, was back enough that he couldn’t see the hay bail. It’s of course a lot to attribute to Wout, but the general point remains: Wout’s focus on his own results has hurt the team’s GC chances. It would be better for GC ambitions to bring a 100% dedicated team. You can talk trade offs and value attribution between probability weighted Top GC results vs stages and general interest, but that basic assertion is hard to argue against.
You guys forget that in nearly every single GT, the strongest rider wins. Its pretty simple.
Except in 2011, 2012, 2014, arguably 2015, arguably 2019…watts matter most, but so does team strength, the strategic deployment of that strength, clear focus on simple objectives (see Team Sky), positioning (typically aided by the team), team support after crashed and mechanicals, etc. If Vingegaard had been sent to the Giro, for example, Roglic likely would only be down 1 minute instead of close to 3. Admittedly that is speculation.
It all makes sense, but all you guys absolutely love to dwell on tactics that has close to no impact on the race. Could Vingegaard have gotten 10 seconds at stage 4? Sure, but going alone was the safer option after getting triple 2nds in Denmark. Was stage 6 stupid? Yes, in hindsight, but
I think this was pretty clearly a bizarre decision at the time and most, while impressed, found it to be a dumb waste of energy that could instead be used to help his team. And ultimately it also ironically cost him the win and the yellow Jersey.

QUOTE="Valv.Piti, post: 2727784, member: 113798"]

Riis and Horner are notorious for stating stuff like that. Its what Horner has made an career off of, basically criticizing everyone and to Bjarne, theres only one thing that matters and that is the GC. Guy doesnt care about anything else and has time and time again been on danish TV criticizing everybody and their moms for doing everything wrong, just like Horner. Trust me on that one. Here's a guy who desperately wants to show he knows much more and is much better than virtually every DS. I wonder how he woulda felt about all this if he had Wout on his team instead of Cancellara in the 07-10 years. Cancellara was fine being more or less a domestique throughout these races since he had small chance of winning anything else than time trials in a Tour-setting. He did so on what, one occasion in 07, and was 100% dom on the cobbled stage in 10 (just like Wout). But if he had Wouts skillset, im absolutely positive Riis would have managed his team differently because you SIMPLY CANNOT keep such a rider down. I have said it many times, but its Peter Sagan on steroids right now. Sagan has never been this good in TdF. At least I cannot remember. These two complaining about Jumbo is the least surprising in the whole cycling world.

[/QUOTE]
I agree that Wout is insanely good; I am a Wout fan. But you’re trying to have it both ways: You’re saying that Riis’s view of Wout is clouded by his single minded focus on GC and really what Wout brings to the table is just more badass anyways, which is defensible, but also that Wout’s focus on his own results do not come at a cost to his team’s GC ambitions. Clearly they do. Like Horner or not, and I am more in the camp of not, his points do make a certain kind of sense. Does it make sense to contest a group sprint on day 2, exposing yourself to risk of crashing 3 days before the pivotal cobbles stage? Not if you’re focused on helping deliver GC results; yes if focused on delivering stage victories and temporary yellow jerseys. Does tucking into the pack and riding your own cobbles race until you’re directly ordered to help your GC leaders make sense? Not if you’re focused on helping your GC leaders survive the cobbles and even take time; yes if focused on preserving strength to contest the stage. Same with stage 6. And so on.

This Tour will go down as at least somewhat successful for TJV because of Wout, no doubt about that. But does that come at the cost of likelihood of winning the Tour GC? Absolutely. Well never now for sure because Roglic is hurt, but we’ll at least soon know for sure if Vingegaard has the legs for that to matter.

Cancellara had a small chance of winning road stages? Jesus Christ. Cancellara, IF HE WANTED, he would win 4-5 stages in each Tour. His engine is mindblowing, but he never was greedy so after winning those time trials, he worked as a full dom for Andy/Sastre. WVA is a little bit more selfish, he wants to win even if his main role is protecting his team leaders.

You make absolutely zero sense. It doesnt make you think at all since what you posted is absolute gibberish. But Im obviously welcoming Roglic to race these races, he did very well in MSR already this year as everybody remembers!

Yeah, he kinda costed Wout a win after Wout saved him one week earlier in France.

I was being sarcastic, so I'll explain just for you i.e. spring classics are Wout van Aert's territory. They're his speciality. He's literally a "classics specialist".

Well guess what? Primoz Roglic is a stage race/GT specialist. Until proven otherwise, the Tour de France is a Grand Tour, not a classics race.

Hence why Chris Horner & others look at this race from a GT yellow jersey perspective first (because that's what it's all about) & a team with Roglic on the start list should probably focus that as well. Roglic came to this race with half the team stepping on his toes (i.e. most of his time deficit is a direct result of his own teammates pulling G Thomas & the others away from him on stage 5).

So the equivalent really would be Roglic demanding to race & go for the win in WvA's classics objectives, with support riders as well, with the threat of "I'll throw my toys out of the pram & leave the team if I don't get the freedom I want" (which is what you unironically insinuated WvA would do if he wasn't given freedom in the TdF in your previous post). It doesn't matter whether you think Roglic could win the classics or not, much in the same way Wout Van Aert is never going to win the TdF. But Roglic could put in some nice attacks in those races, perhaps a podium in one or two & look cool on instagram.

The bottom line in the TdF is Green is an annex classification & stages are for exposure (& overrated) & prize money. Well, in Jumbo's own words, they really value the latter criteria. More than a serious team going for yellow should, for certain.

Cancellara had a small chance of winning road stages? Jesus Christ. Cancellara, IF HE WANTED, he would win 4-5 stages in each Tour. His engine is mindblowing, but he never was greedy so after winning those time trials, he worked as a full dom for Andy/Sastre. WVA is a little bit more selfish, he wants to win even if his main role is protecting his team leaders.

Cancellara could not have won as much as WVA (not a good enough sprint), though he could have won some more stages here and there had he raced more for his own objectives.

Vaya:

Evans was the strongest in 2011. Time trials are a thing.
Froome was maybe stronger in 2012 and could possibly have won the race, but remember, they rode on the same team. Its not like team tactics held another rider back on another team which is the whole point. Who knows if he woulda clawed the TT deficits back.
Nibali was BY FAR the strongest in 2014. Im obviously talking about riders still being in the race, lol. Its not like weird tactical decisions held Froome or Contador back, they just crashed out.
Froome/Quintana was equally as strong in in 2015, but on a route which featured a measly 14 km ITT.
Bernal was the strongest in 2019. Again, Pinot crashed out.

I was being sarcastic, so I'll explain just for you i.e. spring classics are Wout van Aert's territory. They're his speciality. He's literally a "classics specialist".

Well guess what? Primoz Roglic is a stage race/GT specialist. Until proven otherwise, the Tour de France is a Grand Tour, not a classics race.

Hence why Chris Horner & others look at this race from a GT yellow jersey perspective first (because that's what it's all about) & a team with Roglic on the start list should probably focus that as well. Roglic came to this race with half the team stepping on his toes (i.e. most of his time deficit is a direct result of his own teammates pulling G Thomas & the others away from him on stage 5).

Yeah they should have waited for Roglic, with Vingegaard, and have both their GC riders loose time. Sounds like a solid plan to win yellow.

So the equivalent really would be Roglic demanding to race & go for the win in WvA's classics objectives, with support riders as well, with the threat of "I'll throw my toys out of the pram & leave the team if I don't get the freedom I want" (which is what you unironically insinuated WvA would do if he wasn't given freedom in the TdF in your previous post). It doesn't matter whether you think Roglic could win the classics or not, much in the same way Wout Van Aert is never going to win the TdF. But Roglic could put in some nice attacks in those races, perhaps a podium in one or two & look cool on instagram.

Yeah that makes a lot of sense, except that the TdF isn't only about the GC, and I'm sure Roglič would get a free role in e.g. Flanders, if so desired... so actually it doesn't make any sense at all.

Reactions: inri2000
Yeah they should have waited for Roglic, with Vingegaard, and have both their GC riders loose time. Sounds like a solid plan to win yellow.

Yeah that makes a lot of sense, except that the TdF isn't only about the GC, and I'm sure Roglič would get a free role in e.g. Flanders, if so desired... so actually it doesn't make any sense at all.
There are so many strawman fallacies in your argument that you could feed a million horses with it.

• Haha