• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Team Kits? Your Views.......

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 4, 2009
Visit site
I was looking at getting a team kit to go with my new scott addict. I told my mate my plan and he said not to be too hasty. He said it can be a little embarassing having all the kit and then being overtaken by another cyclist. So for the time being I'm going to stick with my basic apparel and go hunting for the team kit brigade....:)

Jun 24, 2009
Visit site
pedaling squares said:
Hey Ralph. I think you have misunderstood some of these posts. People are writing that they consider certain jerseys to be so special that only the person who has won that jersey should wear it. This does not make the authors self-righteous or prejudiced, merely persons willing to express their reverence of a certain symbol. And let's face it, fat guys in team kit are funny. It's a paradox that someone dresses like a pro but is shaped unlike a pro. Nobody has suggested that they not wear team kit, just that it is funny. At least to me. And... maybe I'm a fat guy. I'm not going to pile on, but I wonder why, if this thread is so incredibly silly, you bothered to add to it.
I chose to add to the thread because I interpreted many of these comments to be somewhat judgmental, and in many cases, unfortunately, overly self conscious. Only in that there seems to be a theme that somebody has to truly EARN wearing a jersey, or risk varying amounts of derision. I feel that folks should lighten up a bit on the derision and judging of other folks. Live, and Let Live. It's a much more sociable manner in which to live, and after all, many of us have got plenty of problems of our own that we should feel the need to be looking for someone to focus somewhat negatively on, because of the clothes they've chosen to purchase and wear.
Somehow many in this forum have more "reverence" for the jerseys, than they do for some of the professional riders, many of whom should have earned a certain amount of admiration.
I'll tell you what clothes I wouldn't wear, and I'm sure some people will disagree with me, but.... I will not spend $200 plus for a jersey. Or $300 Plus for a pair of shorts. I think that is absolutely insane, even if they are incredibly comfortable. I have some shorts that are @$150 plus, that really do the trick. I'm not into giving my money away. I'd rather spend it on my bike.
Like I've said previously. I often wear team kit. But, I also don't pretend to be a world champion, or a TdF winner. I just like the way they look, they don't look bad when I put them on. And they are comfortable.
When I ski race, and I do kick rear end when I do that. I wear Top quality, Team GS suits. Because they work real well when you're going fast, in the cold! But I never look down on some lower level racers when they show up totally jazzed up in Olympian gear. My awareness of them is raised, but that is about it. I know who I am, and in the end, the clothes mean very little.
I didn't mean to offend anyone, I just think that this "reverence" that you speak about, for the clothing, is a bit uptight. Sorry, but that's just how I see it.:eek:

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
iwannabeabiker said:
I was looking at getting a team kit to go with my new scott addict. I told my mate my plan and he said not to be too hasty. He said it can be a little embarassing having all the kit and then being overtaken by another cyclist. So for the time being I'm going to stick with my basic apparel and go hunting for the team kit brigade....:)

Trick is to not be overtaken. :D

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
racerralph said:
I'll tell you what clothes I wouldn't wear, and I'm sure some people will disagree with me, but.... I will not spend $200 plus for a jersey. Or $300 Plus for a pair of shorts. I think that is absolutely insane, even if they are incredibly comfortable. I have some shorts that are @$150 plus, that really do the trick. I'm not into giving my money away. I'd rather spend it on my bike.

This is a good point. Conspicuous consumption is as bad as any particular jersey.

Aug 19, 2009
Visit site
racerralph said:

I've seen jackets that cost more than my first racing bike... mind you that was back in 1990, but it did have full 105. And if I did buy it, I couldn't ever tell anyone that I spent 650 bucks on a frickin' cycling jacket!

I've got the Kelme Communidad Valencia kit that I think is one of the better looking one's I've ever seen (I've got the jersey, bibs and gloves). The jersey and bibs are by Nalini and the bibs are probably the most comfortable and better fitting bibs I've ever owned. I ride an Orbea and at the time that I bought the kit so were the Kelme team. Admittedly it was the 2nd year Valverde began making a name for himself at the Vuelta and I became diehard fan from that point until the end of time. A bonus is the increased visibility of the bright green in the upper torso of the jersey. Simply a great looking jersey!:)

I've also got an Oktos jersey, which I believe was a Pro Continental team in Europe. I'm partial to certain color combinations and the Oktos' black with red Oktos "O" and very subtle little "O's" in grey all over the jersey make it my favorite. Semi club cut to make up for my perpetual early season gut. Plus it's easy to match up with the bevy of black bibs on the market.

I've been a long time admirer of the Belgian National Champion jersey but have yet to take the dive and get one. One day I will.:D

I've had my eye on the PDM, BIC, Reynolds and Faema jersey's that they have at prendas.com. Primarily I like the designs of all of them and some of take me back to my introduction to professional cycling with Raul Alcala and others at PDM and Delgado at Reynolds. The BIC jersey would be paying tribute to Luis Ocana and being that highly visibile orange is an added benefit.
The Faema jersey just looks great to me but I'm fearful that they're sold out and no longer carrying it since I haven't seen it on their site lately. I would kill for a KAS jersey to pay tribute to the Spaniards that used make things interesting for Merckx back in the day.

I primarily wear my club kit which at one point I was serious odds with the design of the bibs. They were a split color design, royal blue on one side and orange on the other. I was out voted when the final decision was made in spite of my protestations about the impracticality of orange in a bib short. Years later I have been proven correct so I take comfort in that. Secretly the design kind of grew on me but I still say that it reminded me of a court jester in medieval England. All that was missing was the shoes that turned up at the toe with the little bells on it!:eek:

I say wear what you want. If someone has a problem with it, that's their personal issue to address. Just be prepared for those who think its their duty to be fashion police of the cycling world and personally tell you that it is inappropriate or unacceptable. Just tell them to lighten up and ride!

Oct 8, 2009
Visit site
I'll happily wear my football team's shirt, but wouldn't dream of wearing a team's cycling jersey. partly because I'm rubbish on a bike, and partly because I have a little too much chest to look anything other than obscene in one.

I did track down a brilliant Columbia HTC t-shirt that I wear, but even that is embarrassing - not a good look to be struggling up a tiny hill on a little hybrid bike with 'world's best cycling team' across your back....

A

Anonymous

I have a Toyota United long sleeved jersey I bought when the ToC Prologue was in San Francisco in 2007. I got it because it was lined and cheap. I think it's the 2006 jersey. And I got it because I had just moved back to SF from Texas so I didn't have any long sleeved jerseys or arm warmers to fight the cold coastal winds and fog. I also have a ToC Most Aggresive jersey I won in a contest.

But to be honest with you, I stopped wearing the Toyota jersey because of comments I saw on various forums that said it was faux pas. Plus it is kind of loud. But it is warm. I still wear the ToC jersey though because I like the way it looks and I did win it... just not for my cycling skills (or lack thereof) haha!

I hate to say it but I, too, am a slave to the cycling snobs. It seems that many feel the same way as the masses do on here that you shouldn't wear team kit.

But I'm fighting the feeling that if you can wear a jersey of your favorite baseball team, football team, fubol team, etc. why then can't you wear a jersey of your favorite cycling team? Why must you be a Pro to wear it?

So I'm torn. I like lots of team kits out there but I'm still apprehensive when it comes to actually buying and wearing one now.

I guess I'll continue to wear the kit of the site my friend works at and that I freelance for occassionally. <shrugs>

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
when I started actually going out on a road bike I used to wear team kit. I followed the sport on TV and so bought myself a road bike and wanted to be like my heroes so bought team kit , gloves and socks. it used to be the same price as the casual kit anyway and I liked looking like the guys on TV. Now the prices are creeping up.

Did buy the Cippo world champ jersey and shorts wore it a few times as anything Cippo does is cool. Wish I got the Domina Vicanza stuff and matching ONCE stuff too. Wear ONCE winter stuff but not got the shorts or the pink kit for that. Whatever happened to Giordana don't see their stuff about much or sponsor any teams now.

Was thinking of getting the Saxo Bank Swiss kit though as a big fan of Spartacus and would love to look like him on a bike.

PS : i'm so slow I got overtaken once by a woman with a basket on her bike while I was in full team kit

Jun 24, 2009
Visit site
sherer said:
when I started actually going out on a road bike I used to wear team kit. I followed the sport on TV and so bought myself a road bike and wanted to be like my heroes so bought team kit , gloves and socks. it used to be the same price as the casual kit anyway and I liked looking like the guys on TV. Now the prices are creeping up.

Did buy the Cippo world champ jersey and shorts wore it a few times as anything Cippo does is cool. Wish I got the Domina Vicanza stuff and matching ONCE stuff too. Wear ONCE winter stuff but not got the shorts or the pink kit for that. Whatever happened to Giordana don't see their stuff about much or sponsor any teams now.

Was thinking of getting the Saxo Bank Swiss kit though as a big fan of Spartacus and would love to look like him on a bike.

PS : i'm so slow I got overtaken once by a woman with a basket on her bike while I was in full team kit

I think Lance Armstrong's "Mellow Johnny" kit is made by Giordana, if you're OK with LA stuff.
Otherwise, don't worry about being passed by women, or old folks with baskets attached to their bikes. They do that as a type of decoy, then when you're not ready, they kick it up! You'd be surprised how many miles they put in trying to look sub par, then pouncing on the unsuspecting!;)
Riding isn't for comparison, it's for FUN! Enjoy it! (as I'm sure you do):)

May 7, 2009
Visit site
I would never wear a pro team kit. I can't put my finger on exactly why, but I think I would feel out of place in it. I do race for a local club/shop and I actualy prefer to not wear that kit when out "training". I save it for races or cold weather (it is by far my best cold weather stuff). I prefer to be anonymous and just go out and ride and not be targeted by people on the bike path who want to "race" me 'cuz I am wearing my team kit. I have had this happen when I am exhausted coming back from a long ride in the mountains. I take a bike path back home and some guy wearing the polka-dot TDF jersey is racing me up the bike path becouse I am wearing my teams uniform. Heck, it still happens when I am in plain bike clothes, but they honestly seem a bit more agressive when I am in my team kit.

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
Lots of thoughts...

Personally, I don't care if people like to wear full-up team kits, although it is kind of funny sometimes. We have a few guys who race around the neighborhood every morning (don't seem to ever go out on the "road") all dressed up like pros. Similarly I have never shaved my legs, on the grounds that I'm not pretending to be a real racer, and really love to "smoke" guys who are all kitted up, legs shaved, totally "stylin' " while I'm not looking the part (that happens less often all the time though). Felt the same way about skiing in jeans back in the day, nice to be better than I look... One of my favorite moments on a big climbing ride was when a small guy on a carbon bike told me (kiddingly) that "big guys on steel bikes are not allowed to pass small guys on carbon bikes." So whatever works for you but I'd rather be better than I look (have to keep looking worse all the time to maintain that). And some of the more "kitted up" riders seem to be the more snooty, less friendly types who don't wave back at other cyclists on the road. Seems some only acknlowedge peole who appear at least as "cool" as themsleves.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
The only pro kit I have that is recognizable (from a well known continental team of higher) is the 1998 Festina kit. I got it really really cheap at the time. :) I do however have kit from a few different clubs (I travelled a lot) and one well known shop based team that I rode with as an amateur a year or two back.

These days I am a mid-30s office working parent and very overweight.

I really don't mind which of these kits I ride in when out training (they atill fit fine) - or even just commuting. And I don't care what people who see me think.

I don't have any embarrassment when someone passes me. They can be a professional, a club rider, another commuter, or a kid on a tricycle. It doesn't matter to me. If I am on the bike and going that slowly that they are passing me, there is a reason and its usually my heart rate setting the pace. There is no way that I am going to come out of my recovery zone to "meet a challenge".

If you go home feeling good because you passed me on a hill while I was in team/club kit then good luck to you. :D I won't lose sleep over it.

Jun 24, 2009
Visit site
Martin318is said:
The only pro kit I have that is recognizable (from a well known continental team of higher) is the 1998 Festina kit. I got it really really cheap at the time. :) I do however have kit from a few different clubs (I travelled a lot) and one well known shop based team that I rode with as an amateur a year or two back.

I really don't mind which of these kits I ride in when out training (they atill fit fine) - or even just commuting. And I don't care what people who see me think.

I don't have any embarrassment when someone passes me. They can be a professional, a club rider, another commuter, or a kid on a tricycle. It doesn't matter to me. If I am on the bike and going that slowly that they are passing me, there is a reason and its usually my heart rate setting the pace. There is no way that I am going to come out of my recovery zone to "meet a challenge".

If you go home feeling good because you passed me on a hill while I was in team/club kit then good luck to you. :D I won't lose sleep over it.
Bravo! Know who you are, and love the skin you're in.:)

Aug 14, 2009
Visit site
Martin318is said:

Wise words!

Aug 16, 2009
Visit site
So I pass this guy in all Pellozotti TDF KoM polka dots, big Cannondale lettering down the side, riding a Cervelo bike. Made me laugh. If we wern't both riding through heavy traffic I would have asked him why he wasn't in green. BTW, I doubt I was faster than him, I was just in a lane that was moving and I think he had some guy trying to cross the bike lane into a parking spot in front of him.

Martin818is,
I'll ride with you any day - but you will probably take me.

Jun 24, 2009
Visit site
TheDude said:
So I pass this guy in all Pellozotti TDF KoM polka dots, big Cannondale lettering down the side, riding a Cervelo bike. Made me laugh. If we wern't both riding through heavy traffic I would have asked him why he wasn't in green. BTW, I doubt I was faster than him, I was just in a lane that was moving and I think he had some guy trying to cross the bike lane into a parking spot in front of him.

Martin818is,
I'll ride with you any day - but you will probably take me.
Yes, sometimes it is kinda funny:D But not in a bad way.:)

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
This thread got me thinking that it seems like there is a market for fan kits that aren't exact replicas to what the pros wear. Something with the colors and certain design elements but definitely different from the team issue kit. Riders could still support their favorite team without feeling like as much of a poseur.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Actually i think that team replica stuff is completely fine but think they should ban the selling of replicas of the 'award' kits.

If someone wants to buy and ride in the National team uniform from the olympics or worlds etc then good luck to them - to me it is little different from riding in Rabo or Astan kit etc. Wearing the Pink form the Giro or Yellow from the Tour or polka dots etc is in the same category.

I don't think that extends to riding in a copy of the National or World Champion's uniforms though. In any country there should only be one person riding around in the National Champion's uniform (they had to work very very hard to get it after all!) And there should only be one person in the world wearing the WC uniform.

You would never see Bettini or Friere riding in the WC colours this year would you? and they would have more sets of the stuff than anyone else!

Its a respect thing.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
With two exceptions, all my stuff is bargain basement mix and match, and mostly team kit. I have been seen spinning into work with the old Bouygues French Champ shorts, a PDM long sleeve (so with you on this dimspace), with CSC mitts and a credit Agricole casquette, on a Specialized bike. Team kit tends to be cheaper than the plain stuff here, so what of it.

The only exceptions are two deals I picked up with bibs and jersey for half nothing - the Bouygues French champ kit, and the Milram Giro points kit (no-one could currently mistake someone in a Milram kit for a professional cycist at the moment, surely?). I won't get gear of teams I seriously dislike for some reason, but otherwise, it's anything goes.

Except, obviously, lime green bibshorts and a polka jersey. Only a blond perm can make that look good...

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
I personally think team kits look gaudy, all decked out with logos it looks like too much. But that's just me. If someone wants to and it turns their crank, then whom am I to say they can't ? That said, the only "team kit" I really liked was the Danish champion jersey as worn by Riis in 96 and the Asics team as worn by Bartoli about that same time ( I thought the logo and script with blue orange white colour combination looked really sharp)

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
What a great topic for my first post.

In a century I rode this weekend, I passed a few people wearing the full Garmin-Slipstream Kits, gloves and socks included. It got me thinking. While I don't really have a problem with it per se, I do think it's odd. I wouldn't do it because I prefer to wear the kits of teams and shops that I'm directly associated with; I earned the right to wear those kits. They didn't earn the Garmin Kits. On a group ride, something less formal, I wouldn't think too much of it, but in a race, I wouldn't like it. Wearing the kits of teams long disbanded is a little different; that has more of a retro, classic feel, you know what I mean? ONCE, Postal Service, Discovery. I would wear those kits....maybe.

The leader's jersey and national/world champion jerseys, I have a slight problem with. The riders wearing those jerseys worked for nearly a lifetime to attain that honor, and I think it cheapens the achievement and prestige of wearing your nations colors or the rainbow jersey when the most elementary of riders could purchase them. I don't even think they should be for sale.

Ultimately though, it's irrelevant. I'm just stoked to see people riding, regardless of what they wear.

Latest posts