• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tejay Van Garderen Discussion Thread

Page 26 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

IndianCyclist said:
Lot of these talented cyclists who achieve a top 5-10 in GTs at ~25 usually go through a slump in their later years after showing good promise. Rolland, Pinot, Kelderman, TJ, Cunego etc

Cunego at least won a Giro at a very young age and had top 10 finishes in GTs later on and won some classics. Pinot and Kelderman have to start producing although Pinot has a podium in the Tour. Rolland just hasn't lived up to expectations, he was tipped for big things and TJVG is probably in the same category. Talansky also has been disappointing although his Vuelta ride was a return to some form I suppose and far ahead of what TJVG is doing. There are others as well like Mollema, Gesink, Uran, Majka, Kreuziger, and Costa who has had the sense to forget GTs and concentrate on shorter stage races and classics. Mollema had a good Tour until the final few days. Gesink just couldn't stop crashing and getting injured. The trouble for those guys is that younger guys have appeared now. Some of them are near the end of their careers like Gesink. They just did not take the opportunities when they were at their peak or couldn't take the next step. I think TJVG should try a sports psychologist or a coach because whatever he is doing prep and training wise is not working.

Re:

Jspear said:
It's weird to see riders like him and Talansky tank so badly - even Dombrowski was thought to be a potential somebody. These Americans disappoint. Fingers crossed that Adrien Costa develops well.
I'd say Talansky turned it around a bit last year after a bad 2015:

3rd at Utah
5th at Suisse
4th at Cali
5th at Vuelta behind Nairo, Froome, Chaves, and Contador

Re: Re:

jaylew said:
Jspear said:
It's weird to see riders like him and Talansky tank so badly - even Dombrowski was thought to be a potential somebody. These Americans disappoint. Fingers crossed that Adrien Costa develops well.

3rd at Utah
5th at Suisse
4th at Cali

You're right....we'll see what happens this year.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site

Jspear said:
jaylew said:
Jspear said:

3rd at Utah
5th at Suisse
4th at Cali

You're right....we'll see what happens this year.
And even when Talansky had a bad year (2015), he still managed to finish 11th on gc in the TdF and almost won a stage, at least he keeps fighting. People shouldn't have too high expectations when it comes to him, as a gc he's on a similar level as König, König is probably a more consistent gt rider, Talansky seems to be better in one week long stage races.
TJVG on the other had has really bad days way to often and seems to quit after those days. He seems to be a nice guy, but he has become too fragile for his own good, one has to wonder if that's the result of loosing too much weight.

So far this year he is looking better. His TT performance tomorrow could be interesting. Would like to see him do an improved ride in the Giro or at least show something like his old self. Not having Porte riding with him should take the stress off a little. Going into a race with two leaders often becomes a problem.

Speaking as an American (albeit living in France), there's a tendency to build up any US rider with GT potential into the next Lemond and He Who Shall Not Be Named. That push comes mostly from the sponsors, who see a huge, lucrative market in the US. Is TJVG going to win a GT? Unlikely. Just like dozens of hopefuls from other countries who don't get the same hype.

At any given time there are maybe 5 riders who you can say with 100 percent certainty that they can win a tour. Right now, and for the past couple of years, they have been Froome, Quintana, Nibs, and to a slightly lesser extent Aru and Contador. Because they have actually done it. TJ is nowhere near any of their level.

Having said all that, go TJ!

memyselfandI said:
But what is he doing in Giro, tell me? He's pretty good in tt but not a chance in aggressive mountain racing, too diesel. I wonder what the hell they thought when they put him instead of Porte there..

Porte had to ride the Tour after last year's performance. BMC probably thought that TJVG's spot in the Tour would be better taken by a domestique and I think they are right. Splitting the leaders makes more sense anyway and Dennis will be trying to help Tejay. The way TJVG has climbed in GTs recently it won't matter what race he goes in. Hopefully he can find some climbing form and I don't mean Romandie climbing form.

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
DBotero said:
No way back for TVG it seems :( Maybe going to a lower profile team would help him revive his career.

He does not have the stamina for anything longer than one week race so he would be even useless as a domestique on even a smaller team.

He will probably stick around for another year or two with UHC or something similar just to make a few more bucks before he will retire.

If you look back through this thread, I have defended TvG, and still think that he has some solid GT results, but he either needs to make some changes in his prep. or change his focus to shorter stage races because things aren't working. With that said, the GdI is not over for him. A lot can still happen and we've seen him ride in, out, and back in to the top five of GTs before.

Jancouver said:
DBotero said:
No way back for TVG it seems :( Maybe going to a lower profile team would help him revive his career.

He does not have the stamina for anything longer than one week race so he would be even useless as a domestique on even a smaller team.

He will probably stick around for another year or two with UHC or something similar just to make a few more bucks before he will retire.

Don't know,I still hope there are some mentality issues which can be solved because the guy is 28 :eek: He should fly now,but like you said he's looking way closer to retirement actually.

I don't understand why people are talking retirement. He finished top 10 in 3 WT stage races last year. He should just switch his focus (if his ego allows him to). That said, it's a bit early to write him off in in this Giro even if he looked bad today. He could still conceivably finish top 5-10.

Did TVG do bad today? Yes. Am I disappointed about his performance? Yes. But to many people are writing him off when it is only the first week. Everyone is always so quick to judge that a rider is done after a bad performance. Like jaylew said TVG can still finish top 10 which is where some of us put him because the Giro doesn't suit him. Now if the Giro finishes and he never gets better than absolutely he should be done with GC.

The race isn't over for anyone till the afternoon of May 28th. Anything can happen.

I don't expect him to improve as his morale will take a big hit after this bad performance,especially that in his interview he seemed to be kinda confident about his level.Would love to see it,but his usual trend is downwards after such a display.

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
TJ will be a Cannondale Rider. JV will dump Roland. And then we will hear about all the new Training TJ is learning under JV........And TJ will still be TJ.

Me and my little brother always have a under/over betting game on TJ on the big stages, today the line was 4 minutes which meant I was off by 15 seconds and he won. I can't imagine what the line will be when we reach stage 16. Any tips for a reasonable one?

Always glad to see him dropped like a stone after the *** he pulled in Catalunya.

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
Re:

jaylew said:
I don't understand why people are talking retirement. He finished top 10 in 3 WT stage races last year. He should just switch his focus (if his ego allows him to). That said, it's a bit early to write him off in in this Giro even if he looked bad today. He could still conceivably finish top 5-10.

Even if he somehow managed to make the Top10, what is the point of that result? Is his team or any team for that matter interested in another Zubeldia AKA invisible Ninja making the Top 10? I don’t thinks so. :cool:

When is his contract up anyway?

Jancouver said:
jaylew said:

Even if he somehow managed to make the Top10, what is the point of that result? Is his team or any team for that matter interested in another Zubeldia AKA invisible Ninja making the Top 10? I don’t thinks so. :cool:
Well, they pretty much all are. :p