• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tenerife

Page 15 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

martinvickers

BANNED
Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
coinneach said:
I agree: thats what happens when you rip the heart of the backup team out....Yates Jullich Lienders, all missed (by the team, not the parent company, or the clinic;))

But no training is going to make a big long lanky guy like Wiggins good descending in the rain

Froome and Porte, if anything have pushed on. This isn't a Sky problem. It's a wiggins problem. And the key guys he's missing are Yates on the road, and Sutton. and sutton, i suspect, is the big miss.

martinvickers

BANNED
Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
mikehammer67 said:
it's not that good

athletes go to kenya to evade ooc testing
http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...hing-the-boundaries-in-athletics-8604176.html

John Fahey, president of the World Anti-Doping Agency (Wada), said there was a "cloud hanging over them". He said: "For some time, we have been very concerned about the accusations of doping there," going on to describe Kenya as "a location of choice for dopers".

Wiggins et all aren't going to Kenya. They're going to Tenerife/Majorca - within easy lab reach.

And if the guys are doping at altitude in Kenya, it's the same thing - the doctors go to where the athletes already are, not the other way round. Because when the cyclists were going to the doctors, it didn't half seem obvious.

Benotti69 said:
Riders need to get over this Tenerife thing. Riders before the advent of cheap flight travel trained in the places they were home based, Kelly in Ireland (over Xmas) and then back to Belgium (2nd home)for preseason.

They managed without the sun and got on with it.

I guess you live without central heating and a car too.

coinneach said:
I agree: thats what happens when you rip the heart of the backup team out....Yates Jullich Lienders, all missed (by the team, not the parent company, or the clinic;))

But no training is going to make a big long lanky guy like Wiggins good descending in the rain

Racing in the wet. Descending in all conditions make the man.

Bugno used to decend in training listening to classical music. It helped him get a rhythm through the corners.

The real problem is isolating yourself and only working to numbers. It gives a false impression of strength.

I'd say Nibili just about has mentally destroyed both Froome and Wiggins. They are scared of him and what he does. There's more to come as well.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
thehog said:
Kerrisons magic number machine didn't program rain into his equations.

Given his background in aquatics, this shouldn't be surprising. When told that "wet and slippery conditions" had a negative effect on Brad's performance, he was dumbfounded—near catatonic (according to inside sources). He had simply never heard, nor considered such a thing.

True story.

Teneriffe

I used to go in January to Tenneriffe in the early 80's and stay in Playa D'Americas... the ride to the Visitor Centre on the Plateau by Mt Teide is 36 miles ( sea level to 10000 ft) and apart from 1/2 mile it is climbing all the way.. Never saw any other cyclist on the roads when I was there..

thehog said:
Racing in the wet. Descending in all conditions make the man.

Bugno used to decend in training listening to classical music. It helped him get a rhythm through the corners.

The real problem is isolating yourself and only working to numbers. It gives a false impression of strength.

I'd say Nibili just about has mentally destroyed both Froome and Wiggins. They are scared of him and what he does. There's more to come as well.

No, Nibali is, apparently, a few notches down the ladder from Froome. No amount of courage and downhill bike handling can hide that. :rolleyes:

armchairclimber said:
No, Nibali is, apparently, a few notches down the ladder from Froome. No amount of courage and downhill bike handling can hide that. :rolleyes:

Nah. Nibs made his SRM comment at TA and the next day Froome went to pieces.

Sky are all defensive about their SRMs. They know everyone sees it for what it is.

Contador did a number on Froome last year. Nibs has now turned both Wiggins and Froome inside out.

The Borgs just want to go in straight lines all check numbers with Kerrison.

They forget that racing isn't all about numbers.

martinvickers said:
Froome and Porte, if anything have pushed on. This isn't a Sky problem. It's a wiggins problem. And the key guys he's missing are Yates on the road, and Sutton. and sutton, i suspect, is the big miss.

Good point - and also unrest in the Sky camp...too many wannabe leaders.

Aug 19, 2012
Visit site
martinvickers said:
Wiggins et all aren't going to Kenya. They're going to Tenerife/Majorca - within easy lab reach.

And if the guys are doping at altitude in Kenya, it's the same thing - the doctors go to where the athletes already are, not the other way round. Because when the cyclists were going to the doctors, it didn't half seem obvious.

the athletes go to the doctors

Sep 29, 2012
dearwiggo.blogspot.com.au
42x16ss said:
I doubt that there are too many high calibre doping doctors living permanently on Tenerife. The riders go there for kickar$e conditions, the docs go there because that's where the riders are doing their most intensive training.

A shame the same conditions are not present in the riders' races when it comes to the Giro and the classics, eh? ;-)

Dear Wiggo said:
A shame the same conditions are not present in the riders' races when it comes to the Giro and the classics, eh? ;-)
Doesn't stop it from being an awesome place to train for the winter. What would you prefer to ride in - 25 degree sunshine or -5 degree sleet?

Easy choice if you can afford the airfare and accommodation and aren't Aussie/riding the TdU.

Sep 29, 2012
dearwiggo.blogspot.com.au
42x16ss said:
Doesn't stop it from being an awesome place to train for the winter. What would you prefer to ride in - 25 degree sunshine or -5 degree sleet?

Easy choice if you can afford the airfare and accommodation and aren't Aussie/riding the TdU.

I train to suit the conditions I am going to race in. If it's going to be cold and wet, I would make sure that's what I trained in.

If I have to pedal nonstop for 6+ hours like you do in a classic, I wouldn't ride up and down mountains in Tenerife all day - rolling down the mountains like they were in the Leopard Trek video.

This sort of stuff seems pretty simple but hey, if they don't even train on TT bikes at Movistar...

Curious that for a team that don't train on their TT bikes they came 2nd in the TTT at this year's Giro, innit?

Dear Wiggo said:
I train to suit the conditions I am going to race in. If it's going to be cold and wet, I would make sure that's what I trained in.

If I have to pedal nonstop for 6+ hours like you do in a classic, I wouldn't ride up and down mountains in Tenerife all day - rolling down the mountains like they were in the Leopard Trek video.

This sort of stuff seems pretty simple but hey, if they don't even train on TT bikes at Movistar...

Curious that for a team that don't train on their TT bikes they came 2nd in the TTT at this year's Giro, innit?
Tenerife is a stupid place to train for the classics, there's no denying that! However, when your main goals are the GT's it's a great place to go for the winter.

Just remember to do some recon of the important stages as well. Laugh at Bruyneel and Riis all you want but they were adamant about recon, which was one of many factors in their success over the years.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
42x16ss said:
Tenerife is a stupid place to train for the classics, there's no denying that! However, when your main goals are the GT's it's a great place to go for the winter.

Just remember to do some recon of the important stages as well. Laugh at Bruyneel and Riis all you want but they were adamant about recon, which was one of many factors in their success over the years.

That we got to hear about Bruyneel and Riis doing recon were excuses to deflect from their riders extreme superhuman performances.

Plenty of riders have reconned stages for GTs before. Like Sky claiming they invented warm downs, to delfect.

Benotti69 said:
That we got to hear about Bruyneel and Riis doing recon were excuses to deflect from their riders extreme superhuman performances.

Plenty of riders have reconned stages for GTs before. Like Sky claiming they invented warm downs, to delfect.

Of course they didn't invent it and the programs they were on did about 10x more. Having said that, how often did you see the USPS or CSC guys crash on an important descent because they weren't familiar? Just because it was part of the myth doesn't mean that it had no benefit at all. Is Wiggins riding like he's taken the time to do this?

TRENDING THREADS