• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tennis

Page 150 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I'm not sure tennis is a clean sport, either. But still, tennis is about so much more than power and endurance, so I can live with it, as a spectator. In cycling, power and endurance is everything, so it annoys me more if doping is involved in cycling than if it is involved in tennis (or other sports that have to do with balls).

There are still people believing that the likes of Serena, Federer, Nadal, Djokovic, Sharapova etc. are clean.

Some people go as far as saying Serena is a hero and saviour of sport because Sharapova cheats yet can't beat Williams. And then they bring examples of Bolt, Phelps and co. saying that they are other heroes and saviours of sports :D

They used to add Armstrong to those exclusive saviours and heroes of sports list as well till 2012. :D

Tennis fans are the worst. At least in sports like Basketball, Cycling, Boxing and MMA the fans know the story and know what it takes to be elite in terms of doping.

Although I adore Nadal and to me he is the GOAT as he faced and conquered the most during the time when the prime years of the big 3 interlocked most but he's so obviously juiced and was juiced to the gills it is silly. It is the blatant refusal that Federer and to a lesser extent Djokovic could take anything is crazy. Federer never ever ever appears to be tired, at least with Nadal he's a petrol engine with a stupidly big tank whereas Federer and Djokovic are these insane diesel engines who never falter or go off during a game.

Serena Williams is the biggest doping junkie in the history of all sport if we're being honest. HGH and test literally made her career. She's a dog *** useless tennis player from a technical POV.

My favorite moment is the 2012 Australian Open, Djokovic played a 5-hour semifinal with Andy Murray then showed zero signs of fatigue during a 6-hour final with Rafael Nadal

You know it when you see it

To be fair Nadal played for 4 hours in the quarterfinal and another 4 hours in the semifinal, and showed no signs of fatigue in the final either

Re:

Forever The Best said:
There are still people believing that the likes of Serena, Federer, Nadal, Djokovic, Sharapova etc. are clean.

Some people go as far as saying Serena is a hero and saviour of sport because Sharapova cheats yet can't beat Williams. And then they bring examples of Bolt, Phelps and co. saying that they are other heroes and saviours of sports :D

They used to add Armstrong to those exclusive saviours and heroes of sports list as well till 2012. :D

Of course. Probably 95% of people believe that. The anti Sharapova attitude is rather annoying (because of where that comes from). It would be better if they were more anti her for her generally pouty attitude.

Having said that, it is difficult to come out and declare somelike Federer as a 100% major doper. Like, with cycling, with Lance, we knew that he was riding pretty close to the fastest time ever up ADH, and we KNEW - thanks to what happened at the '99 Giro - that that rider was doped to the gills. Also given the discovery at the '98 Tour, there was some evidence that a large percentage of the peloton was doped to the gills. So how could Lance ride close to the speeds that he was climbing at, if he wasn't doped? It wasn't really possible.

Even more so with someone like Bolt; we KNOW that many previous great sprinters were doped to the gills, and the great times that they ran were totally destroyed. Without enormous improvements to track/shoes quality. Insane.

Whereas with tennis, it is more of a game that is based on skill, then power. I mean, Roger doesn't even have close to the fastest serve on Tour, so it's nothing like cycling. He has always had a big forehand, but not greatly more powerful than many of his rivals. If people want to argue that the big three have protection then all well and good (it would actually make some sense as to why there has never been a 'next generation'), but it's not really a claim that can be made to any large group in general society. There isn't a "Bolt was at least 2% faster than highly talented athletes who were super dedicated to their sport and who 100% doped, so how could Bolt be clean?" argument with Roger, really. Also he, Novak and especially Rafa, were great at a young age.

Re:

scapewalker said:
With the big 3 continuing their dominance and still outperformaning the next gen by a mile do you guys reckon they are on more stuff especially because the get more leeway when it comes to testing?
Think it's certainly possible. I don't believe for a second Nadal or Fed would ever test positive AND have that positive be announced.

But then again who knows what a top notch program costs these days and that would simply be a financial barrier for a lot of players.

However, tennis is also just really struggling for talent, and the young players are generally technically worse than the Big 3, so while their sustained domination may partially be due do doping and protection by the authorities, that is not the only reason. You have dudes like Verdasco, Kohlschreiber and Lopez who have been very consistent throughout their careers and are still getting results in their mid 30s.

One theory I heard is there's a lack of development in racket tech, which will usually help younger players beat down and older generation cause they can adapt more quickly

Re:

gregrowlerson said:
Actually 99.8% of people would assume that Federer was as clean as a whistle. To think otherwise just wouldn't even enter their minds.

Admittedly very little goes through the minds of 99.8% of the population. I mean Friends is still the biggest show on television.

Any of the top three men having a publicly announced failed doping test would be a massive disaster. There's too much at stake. If it was ever going to happen it was likely to happen early on when let's say Nadal won his second RG in 2006. It was virtually that time period at RG when operation puerto was made public and the news that among the athletes involved were tennis players. Of course I don't have proof that Nadal was one of those, but he very well could have been. That may have been early enough to bust a big name. Now, with 18 slams, 12 at RG alone, so much money, sponsors, fans, tv...it's not going to happen.

Well the confounding factor is that so much stuff is allowed, you can be a walking pharmacy and be doped to the eyeballs and still be "legal".

Obviously they're all juiced, the real question is what kind of stuff is allowed.

Then again there are those who break the rules too.

For me as a spectator, doping is mainly a psychological thing. I want to have the feeling that things are what they seem and that rules are met. If in running or cycling this is not the case - if some participants are enhancing their performance illegally -, it partly ruines my experience (I can still find joy in watching the drama of a descent and so on, but the fraud annoys me because it increases the number of unknown factors too much). In sports like golf, football or tennis it doesn't bother me as much because the performance of a golfer, football player or tennis player depends on so many other things than endurance. A relatively good bike rider can become a really good bike rider with drugs involved. That's not the case with a tennis player.

Re:

DanielSong39 said:
Well the confounding factor is that so much stuff is allowed, you can be a walking pharmacy and be doped to the eyeballs and still be "legal".

Obviously they're all juiced, the real question is what kind of stuff is allowed.

I agree - I'm pretty sure a big majority of them take medicine (for asthma at the very least), and depending on the doctors they are using they can build up quite a large arsenal of drugs. At the same time, there are undoubtedly things going on between the teams and the organisations (nationally and internationally) about how to avoid doping scandals. As long as the leading organisations of the sport itself play a major role in controlling medicine use among the riders, there is always a high risk of corruption.

Re: Re:

Danskebjerge said:
DanielSong39 said:

I agree - I'm pretty sure a big majority of them take medicine (for asthma at the very least), and depending on the doctors they are using they can build up quite a large arsenal of drugs. At the same time, there are undoubtedly things going on between the teams and the organisations (nationally and internationally) about how to avoid doping scandals. As long as the leading organisations of the sport itself play a major role in controlling medicine use among the riders, there is always a high risk of corruption.

Corporations lobby the sporting federations plus we have the impact of the TV companies putting their own poison in. The 2006 calciopoli scandal in Italy which was not drug related (although Italian soccer was riddled with drug abuse) revealed the operating model of contemporary corruption.

Re:

alternator said:
A tennis SARMs positive
https://www.itftennis.com/news/309220.aspx
Fairly small fry, Beatriz Haddad Maia - a Brazilian player ranked 99 in the world with a career high of #58.

Unsure what to make of it, she's ranked low enough that doping testing is probably not even a monthly occurrence for her.

Interesting........

The positive was actually from an in-competition test (which Victor Conte famously described as an IQ test for those who fail them!)

That said,Beatriz Haddad Maia is not included in the ITF's current international registered testing pool (so does not have to report out-of-competition whereabouts to the ITF's anti-doping program).
https://www.itftennis.com/media/309262/309262.pdf

I suspect the same was true in 2018. but despite this, it seems that she was tested 9 times out-of-competition :eek:
https://www.itftennis.com/media/303199/303199.pdf

How do you test someone 9 times OOC when you don't know where they are?

Re: Re:

Forever The Best said:
Red Rick said:
https://twitter.com/AnnaK_4ever/status/1154840605505269760?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Ftt.tennis-warehouse.com%2Findex.php%3Fthreads%2Fthe-most-pathetic-female-player.649637%2F

http://www.tennis.com/pro-game/2018/07/serena-williams-drug-testing-tues-theraputic-use-discrimination/75548/

The same Serena who used lots of backdated TUEs? Colour me not surprised.

Serena twits in the third person? Color me not surprised!

TRENDING THREADS