• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tennis

Page 151 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Farah, from Colombia, the no 1 doubles player, had a breakout season last year. Jarry, a clay courter from Chile, also broke through last season when he made it to two finals and won his first title. He also got to his career high of 38th in the ranking list.

Jan 21, 2020
Visit site
Is mainstream tennis media finally starting to take doping a little bit more seriously?
The Telegraph: Revealed: The leading coaches with doping pasts

The Telegraph can reveal that Martin Rodriguez – who is Nicolas Jarry’s uncle-in-law, and was also his coach until October last year – committed an anti-doping rule violation during his own career.

Coria, whose defence of contaminated supplements was accepted by the relevant authorities, eventually defected to the Spanish system. He hired Dr Angel Ruiz-Cotorro, who has been Nadal’s doctor since he was 14. Coria said: “He [Ruiz-Cotorro] attends to all Spanish tennis players and nothing ever happened to them. He is very professional and tidy.”

“I can’t imagine these guys are dopers,” said world No 5 Dominic Thiem. “It is ridiculous and is completely made up, for us. It’s a mistake in the system.”

The title:"Federer wins five set thriller at age 38" tells you everything that you need to know. He is two + decades into a great program. I wonder if his buddy Fabian was cheering for him.

Yeah, because his game is particularly dependant on high endurance.

He's not known for excellent technique and always seeking to finish rallies as quickly as possible at all.

The fact that these top players are complaining about 'too many tests' it really paints a bad picture. Of course them complaining about it isn't the biggest red light, but it does say a lot.

Tennis has likely never been this popular. The top three guys have taken tennis several notches upward in the last 10-15 years. Federer took off after his first GS win, Nadal won his first when he was barely 19, Djokovic won his first in between the age of the other two. Djokovic struggled a bit to get that 2nd slam, it took him exactly three years, but his transformation in January 2011 is something else. I don't care what sort of nutritional changes he made, you don't all of a sudden start dominating and hardly ever tiring after your biggest weakness was stamina.

I'm perpetually shocked that pretty much everyone i ever talk with about tennis has NO clue that the doping is seriously bad. People (at least in my realm, in the U.S.) have no clue that Serena is most definitely on PEDs.

It is pretty much impossible to point out without being labeled biased against her, for whatever reason.

I'm perpetually shocked that pretty much everyone i ever talk with about tennis has NO clue that the doping is seriously bad. People (at least in my realm, in the U.S.) have no clue that Serena is most definitely on PEDs.

It is pretty much impossible to point out without being labeled biased against her, for whatever reason.
The problem is that no one outside the immediate circle of these tennis players really knows much about what these presumed dopers are actually up to; omertà prevails and hard, factual evidence is lacking. The top players today are all denialists to a man with Thiem for example, recently downplaying the issue as non-existent despite his coach coming from South America, countries where a spate of doping bans have arisen in the not so distant past. No tennis player, has ever come out with a straightforward confession. There's always some excuse.

In stark contrast, far, far more is known about doping in cycling.

I see you've met Serena Williams' banbase. Have you tried explaining she hid in a panic room when she got an OOC test?

• Haha
Reactions: Scarponi
Marcelo Rios now claiming Agassi got busted 4 different times and ATP covered it up

https://www.telegraaf.nl/sport/132385793/andre-agassi-werd-vier-keer-betrapt-op-doping.

Well the ATP definitely covered Agassi up with the crystal meth and the funny thing is is that Agassi had that in his book, otherwise nobody would have known. Of course everyone said that it being crystal meth it didn't do him any good and it actually could have done more damage than good. Honestly I didn't read the book, but when I first heard about that I wondered about whether or not that was a cover up of what Agassi did in fact take. It was always talked about how he changed his training regimen, how he worked out with Gil Reyes, his longtime friend and trainer (Reyes was a former UNLV trainer when UNLV won the NCAA basketball tournament in 1990) and how he went from 141 to 1 in the rankings. He won a gold medal in Atlanta in 1996 and then suddenly started playing badly and disappeared for a bit before reappearing in 1998 and then making it to three slam finals in 1999 and winning two of those.

In that time 29 was always talked about as being past one's prime, and that may be true, particularly 20 years ago and Agassi's transformation was significant. He always had the shots but now he had stamina and strength. The ATP covered up one positive test, for sure, and was it a 'silent' ban that he received sometime after Atlanta? Was the crystal meth ban that he talked about that ban?

I don't doubt that Agassi doped and I certainly don't doubt that the ATP or any other tennis authority would cover up positives, be it for Agassi or any other start of yesteryear or today.

Reactions: Red Rick
I still don't think you can dope yourself to that. I mean, it's not crazy endurance battles he has been part of (maybe against Felix). But yeah, someone will probably ridicule me. But I truly think the adage "you can't turn a donkey into a racehorse" is much more applicable to tennis than to cycling.
Well you can't dope technical ability from the ground up, being faster to a ball and having more time to hit it, as well as being able to hit at 90% instead of 100% helps a LOT in being more accurate.

That being said Karatsev is completely uninteresting to me cause it's one tournament where there's a looot of other factors at play as well. I didn't see the Schwartzman match though. Dimitrov was injured and winning before that. Auger Alliassime is a known choker. If I'd be suspicious of him it would be because he's a tennis player.

The bigger thing in tennis for me is the height of many of the younger players and how well these tall players move. Zverev and Medvedev in particular. I think there's a lot of HGH on the junior tour.

Does anyone want to weigh in on Aslan Karatsev? :oops::oops:
Me do! The 238th ranked player on the planet wins three qualifying matches just to get into the main draw. That means he's going to be playing top ranked opponents right off the hop.
First he beats 18 ranked Dmitrov. After getting thumped in the first set, AK explodes like an, uh, AK and goes on to win in convincing fashion.
I don't recall his second round match, but I remember when he faced Felix A-A. Once again, a top 20 player wipes the floor with his opponent and storms out to a two set lead, before getting hammered during the remaining three.
I don't know -- I'm just spit-ballin' here -- but I have a hard time believing that those epic comebacks against the best is a case of practice makes perfect.

Me do! The 238th ranked player on the planet wins three qualifying matches just to get into the main draw. That means he's going to be playing top ranked opponents right off the hop.
First he beats 18 ranked Dmitrov. After getting thumped in the first set, AK explodes like an, uh, AK and goes on to win in convincing fashion.
I don't recall his second round match, but I remember when he faced Felix A-A. Once again, a top 20 player wipes the floor with his opponent and storms out to a two set lead, before getting hammered during the remaining three.
I don't know -- I'm just spit-ballin' here -- but I have a hard time believing that those epic comebacks against the best is a case of practice makes perfect.

He beat Dimitrov in the quarterfinal (not the first round, I have no idea where you get that from) after Dimitrov hurt his back to the point where he could barely move.

Maybe spitball somewhere else if you have not seen his matches at all.

Reactions: yaco
Beating Schwartzman really easily is the bigger surprise than FAA choking another big match away.

Reactions: yaco
He beat Dimitrov in the quarterfinal (not the first round, I have no idea where you get that from) after Dimitrov hurt his back to the point where he could barely move.

Maybe spitball somewhere else if you have not seen his matches at all.

Sorry about that, tobydawg, I didn't mean to touch a nerve. I hope you're ok and we can get over this little misunderstanding.
Truth be told, I watched the first two sets of his match against F A-A before going home. No way was this guy gonna pull off a come back.
The rest of what I said was based on stats provided by the Ausopen web site. I will admit, inferences were made based on what I read. You know, things like scores and stuff. I mistakenly referred the the round in which he pulled off a comeback against one of the best players in the world, and for that you have my sincere apologies.

TRENDING THREADS