• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tennis

Page 30 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
faraday said:
Llodra has retired 31 (thirty one!) times in his career, and is known as a bit of a quitter. Plus if his tactic was just to evade the testers, playing in the doubles later in the day was probably not the best idea...

Serve & volley players like Llodra are much more injury-prone than baseliners. I thought it was common knowledge but ... :rolleyes:

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Briant_Gumble said:
Serena out then. More fuel to the idea that doping is cut down specifically this year (not convinced).

laura robson and andy murray doing well. yet more fuel to the idea that when the dopers can't dope, the clea, talented brits rise to the top

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
SeriousSam said:
laura robson and andy murray doing well. yet more fuel to the idea that when the dopers can't dope, the clea, talented brits rise to the top

Robson's out. Never heard that one before. Murray's skipping of the French was a classic case of doping up for the big one.

I thought it was funny before Robsons first match Sam Smith the last British woman to advance that far said on the BBC broadcast "there is no magic pill she just has to work really hard".

Serena lost because the women's game is only 3 sets. Weve seen Federer Nadal Djokovic win Grand slams after being 2-0 or 2-1 down in some matches. But the whole point is that eventually the top tennis prevails.

Serena doesnt get that. She loses a second set and its tournament over for her.

The Hitch said:
Serena lost because the women's game is only 3 sets.
A slight presumption, I'd say, particularly as Lisicki is based and trains in Florida where she is quite capable of getting on a programme every bit as efficient as the one we can assume Serena is on.

Kirsten flipkens

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kirsten_Flipkens

So have a read of KIRSTEN FLIPKENS career.Never progressed further than a 2nd round in her entire career, had wrist surgery end of 2010
Flipkens started 2011 with a first-round loss at the Australian Open and did not win one Grand Slam match that year.

In April 2012, doctors discovered blood clots in her calf, which prevented her from playing for two months. During this time, her ranking dropped to no. 262 and she lost her funding from the Flemish Tennis Association

It doesn't state what month she returned to the Tour but her first match at Rosmalen she beat SAMANTHA STOSUR in the first round and went on to reach the semi-finals.....2013 also turns out to be a stellar year.

SO - after a lay-off and dropped by funding - she returns to become a Wimbledon finalist among other awesome results for 2013.

Flipkens is still required to take blood-thinning drugs
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/te...-to-book-her-first-ever-semi-final-place.html

The story is always the same - pro's see their career is ending and turn to the PED's.....results are dramatic.

zebedee said:
A slight presumption, I'd say, particularly as Lisicki is based and trains in Florida where she is quite capable of getting on a programme every bit as efficient as the one we can assume Serena is on.

Its not about endurance but about the better tennis prevailing and pressure.

Statistically the more you play, in any sport, the more chances that the cream rises to the crop.

In the mens game the top players are given more room for error. They can underperform or be unlucky for 2 sets and still prevail. See murray atm.

In the womens game you lose a second set and you are out. If the men had to play like that last years wimbledon champion would have been out in the 3rd round.

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
happychappy said:
****ing ridiculous.

Is it though? Is it really ridiculous? Seems a bit over-the-top given the circumstantial nature of the 'evidence' - that level of bicep musculature is definitely achievable through the right training.

But am open-minded to any scientific counter-arguments - fair play if your outrage is based on something more concrete than 'these biceps are bigger than those of most women in the general public'.

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
faraday said:
Is it though? Is it really ridiculous? Seems a bit over-the-top given the circumstantial nature of the 'evidence' - that level of bicep musculature is definitely achievable through the right training.

But am open-minded to any scientific counter-arguments - fair play if your outrage is based on something more concrete than 'these biceps are bigger than those of most women in the general public'.

I agree that a woman could achieve Stephens' arm/shoulder muscles without dope, judging by these photos at least. There's a 45 year old woman in my boxing class that is a bit more petite, but would have a similar musculature and she sure as heck doesn't take PEDs. Now Serena, to me, that's a whole different story.

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
Cycle Chic said:
Step forward SLOANE STEPHENS - the next Serena...where ARE these girls getting their biceps from :rolleyes:

Have you seen Sam Stosur's ones?

Actually here I'll show you a pic:

rp6i.jpg

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
I'd give the Sloane Stevens the benefit of the doubt, I wouldn't be surprised if she was using though.

Serena on the other hand, she doesn't need to hide in her panic room when the testers arrive for me to know shes a user.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Wigwan said:
While Djokovic seems like he is fresh enough to ride an Ironman.. :D

djokovic defeated nadal in the AO open in like 5 hours of ultra physical tennis after beating murray in like 5 hours in the semi two years ago.

he could probably do a competitive triathlon after a 5 hour tennis marathon.

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
Cycle Chic said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kirsten_Flipkens

So have a read of KIRSTEN FLIPKENS career.Never progressed further than a 2nd round in her entire career, had wrist surgery end of 2010

It doesn't state what month she returned to the Tour but her first match at Rosmalen she beat SAMANTHA STOSUR in the first round and went on to reach the semi-finals.....2013 also turns out to be a stellar year.

SO - after a lay-off and dropped by funding - she returns to become a Wimbledon finalist among other awesome results for 2013.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/te...-to-book-her-first-ever-semi-final-place.html

The story is always the same - pro's see their career is ending and turn to the PED's.....results are dramatic.

Of course the other option is, that testing has increased at this Wimbledon, and the big time dopers have all either withdrawn "ill" or "injured" or have laid off and been beaten, and the lesser players actually have a chance.

Maybe the chargers have not figured out how to get around the Bio-Passport yet?

On the other hand, prize monies:

Losing 1/8 Finalists - £75,000
Losing 1/4 Finalists - £150,000
Losing 1/2 Finalists - £290,000

Over $100,000 for being the 16th best player, worth doping for. Reach number 16 in the world, make the last 16 in the four "Grand Slams", nearly half a million dollars in earnings per year.

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Considering Del Potro is 10 cm taller than Djoker he should be more tired. Anyway Del Potro is the one who said he was given "magic pills" to cure his injury. Imagine if a cyclist said that.

I could've sworn the commentators mentioned at some point today the magic pills were pain killers.

TRENDING THREADS