• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The 2016 CQ Ranking Manager Thread

Page 43 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Update #36: Not just Trudgin along this week

The Eneco Tour, the last World Tour level stage race of the season, took place this week, and it had absolutely no impact whatsoever at the top of the weekly standings. In yet another lesson of how this game is shaped by your whole team, and how the whole calendar of races can be valuable, this week's winner got points nearly exclusively from the busy Italian fall one-day calendar.

This Week's Top Scorers

Rank Team Points this week
1 Trudgin 579
2 Object 436
3 LaVelocipede 419
4 kiilike 415
5 Hugo Koblet 409

After some hard luck this year with expensive picks like Landa, Vuillermoz and Gougeard underperforming, Trudgin's team has a week of glory, easily the top team of the week. With big points from Colbrelli, Pozzato, Visconti, Guarnieri and Barbero, this was pretty much all thanks to the busy Italian race calendar in the weeks leading up to Lombardia. Second place Object had a more balanced set of scorers, with only Pippo and Wilco Kelderman scoring over 100, but some good contributing points from a few riders. LaVelocipide, one of three teams to pick Sagan, rode his 272 points and some handy points from other rare picks like Sam Bennett (70 points) to the final podium spot.

This Week's High Movers

Rank Team Up/down
1 scrooll07 (+10)
2 simple (+9)
2 just some guy (+9)
4 Object (+8)
4 LaVelocipede (+8)
4 Skibby the bush kangaroo (+8)
4 kiilike (+8)
4 Falze (+8)

With not much scoring this week, and with 36 weeks in the bag and therefore the bulk of the season's points for all teams already reflected in the standings, there was little moving around this week. Top honors go to scrooll07, one of the other Sagan holders (and one of the 3 Bardet holders), whereas second and third go to simple (Chaves and Kelderman top scorers) and just some guy (Chaves and Pippo).

Green Jersey Competition

Rank Team Total
1 Emericlabordure 274
2 Eric10 221
3 Jancouver 175
4 freshman 173
4 Roda_na_Frente 173
6 Roubaix 169
7 Pentacycle 161
8 the_fool_on_the_hill 160
9 Slapshot 157
10 ironted 153

Eric10 has yet another solid week, picking up 9 green jersey points for finishing in a tie for 11th on the week. Still, that team will need to do more than inch towards Emericlabordure - anything can happen in the low-scoring tail end of the season, of course, but there is still a more-than-a-week-win points gap between first and second. No other movement in the top 10.

Polka Dot Jersey Competition

Rank Team Points
1 Emericlabordure 143
2 the_fool_on_the_hill 118
3 freshman 117
4 scrooll07 105.3
5 Eric10 96
6 ironted 94
7 Roubaix 93
8 EvansIsTheBest 84
9 hilltopfinisher 80
10 just some guy 78
10 LosBrolin 78

Similar to last week, there is one team within a week's victory of Emericlabordure on this one (although it would only lead to a tie); weekly winner scrooll07 moves into the top 5 with the 25 points on the week, and just some guy uses the 18 points this week (tied for 2nd on the week) to squeak into a tie for 10th. No other movement in the top 10.

Top 10 Overall

Rank Up/down Team Points
1 (-) skidmark 13873
2 (-) jeroenk 13535
3 (+2) Eric10 13205
4 (-1) Kjellus 13130
5 (-1) abbulf 13099
6 (-) Squire 12957
7 (-) Kazistuta 12725
8 (+4) Hugo Koblet 12718
9 (-1) togo95 12675
10 (-1) search 12671

Team skidmark has the worst week of any of the top 10, conceding 118 points to second place jeroenk. Eric10 continues to rocket up the charts, now making the podium. Game founder Hugo Koblet leaps into the top 10 with a good week, while StephenC2020 doesn't get his wish for the game to end this week, and drops a spot out of the top 10. The next few weeks should be very interesting, with many of the riders winding up their seasons and a bunch of little races that could have surprising results.

Spreadsheet at dropbox

Dec 31, 2015
Visit site
I though i'd look into Blel Khadri who is on 15 points. (for finishing the Giro - only 4 stages finished top 100 on the day and only 1 in the 50 on the day - 47th!! )

Assumed he had been injured, but he has race every month (expect this month so far)

Bleak performance in EVERY race.

I thought I'd write a eulogy for the career of arguably the biggest CQ game legend of them all, who recently announced he's retiring at the end of this season: GOSS Matthew.

The Australian sprinter is the epitome of the perfect CQ game pick. A proven performer, monument winner to boot, with a 1000+ points season on his CV, who "just had a bad season", and is now "more motivated than ever" and "looking forward to getting back to his best".

However, few riders have caused CQ managers as much disappointment and agony as Goss.

It's quite fitting that he is actually only the second most picked rider across all CQ game seasons. Goss has been in CQ teams every year, featuring in a total of 289 of them since 2011. Out of all those 289 teams, he has made a profit for nine of them. Nine! That means 3% of all Goss owners can remember him with fondness (actually less than 3% though, because some of the profiteers picked him again later).

That profit came with his MSR-winning season in 2011. Since then, it's all gone downhill. From peaking at 1189 that year, his points haul reads 743, 217, 66, 10, 0. Still, the masses have stuck with him (including yours truly this year) in the hope of him refinding his spark of old. And the hope has just grown. Every year, more and more CQ managers have been lured by the promise of Goss. When the craze hit its peak in 2014 and 2015, he managed to mislead more than 100 managers each year with his sweet pre-season words of wondrous watts and points galore.

Some of his devoted followers started to desert him this year, but 57 die-hards still stuck by him. We poor souls have witnessed the Aussie completing his masterpiece of CQ devaluation: A complete 0-point season! As the artist he is, he even maintained our glimmers of hope with a top-ten finish in Malaysia in March. And then, poof! Just like that, he was gone. Never to finish in the top 100 again. In his trail of disappearance he left us last few believers to search the results list to no avail. But for the seasoned CQ manager, there's always next season. Next season, he must surely get back to his best! Nobody can take away that light in the end of the tunnel.

Until now. Now he's retired. Maybe it's for the best, and we can now find peace with ourselves. But he would've been a 0-pointer! The holy grail of the CQ game! *Gazing hypnotized at his CQ score, mouth open* Maybe I'll still pick him. He could always make a comeback, who knows...

Thanks for the updates skidmark. Appreciated as always!

And thanks for the writeup, Squire. Goss is indeed a legend. I think perhaps only Cobo is a bigger legend than Goss. Have you calculated how many points he has lost for participants of this game in total? Must be a huge number.

Re:

Squire said:
I thought I'd write a eulogy for the career of arguably the biggest CQ game legend of them all, who recently announced he's retiring at the end of this season: GOSS Matthew.

The Australian sprinter is the epitome of the perfect CQ game pick. A proven performer, monument winner to boot, with a 1000+ points season on his CV, who "just had a bad season", and is now "more motivated than ever" and "looking forward to getting back to his best".

However, few riders have caused CQ managers as much disappointment and agony as Goss.

It's quite fitting that he is actually only the second most picked rider across all CQ game seasons. Goss has been in CQ teams every year, featuring in a total of 289 of them since 2011. Out of all those 289 teams, he has made a profit for nine of them. Nine! That means 3% of all Goss owners can remember him with fondness (actually less than 3% though, because some of the profiteers picked him again later).

That profit came with his MSR-winning season in 2011. Since then, it's all gone downhill. From peaking at 1189 that year, his points haul reads 743, 217, 66, 10, 0. Still, the masses have stuck with him (including yours truly this year) in the hope of him refinding his spark of old. And the hope has just grown. Every year, more and more CQ managers have been lured by the promise of Goss. When the craze hit its peak in 2014 and 2015, he managed to mislead more than 100 managers each year with his sweet pre-season words of wondrous watts and points galore.

Some of his devoted followers started to desert him this year, but 57 die-hards still stuck by him. We poor souls have witnessed the Aussie completing his masterpiece of CQ devaluation: A complete 0-point season! As the artist he is, he even maintained our glimmers of hope with a top-ten finish in Malaysia in March. And then, poof! Just like that, he was gone. Never to finish in the top 100 again. In his trail of disappearance he left us last few believers to search the results list to no avail. But for the seasoned CQ manager, there's always next season. Next season, he must surely get back to his best! Nobody can take away that light in the end of the tunnel.

Until now. Now he's retired. Maybe it's for the best, and we can now find peace with ourselves. But he would've been a 0-pointer! The holy grail of the CQ game! *Gazing hypnotized at his CQ score, mouth open* Maybe I'll still pick him. He could always make a comeback, who knows...

Marvellous post!

Re:

Hugo Koblet said:

And thanks for the writeup, Squire. Goss is indeed a legend. I think perhaps only Cobo is a bigger legend than Goss. Have you calculated how many points he has lost for participants of this game in total? Must be a huge number.

Betancur will round up the podium.

Re:

Hugo Koblet said:

Goss has contributed to a total net loss of 22673 points :lol:

Most of that came in 2014, when he lost 16006 points in total for 106 CQ managers by giving a return of 66 points for a cost of 217.

GP Blanco said:
Good call. I made some calculations on potential rivals to Goss' overall points loss, and two riders beat him. One was Ricco, who incurred a loss of 30744 points when he crashed the seasons of 42 managers in 2011. The other one, and the biggest points thief in CQ game history, is Carlos Betancur. Assuming he doesn't score more this year, he has lost a net total of 34803 points for CQ managers! :eek: Pretty astonishing, considering he turned a profit the first three years of the game. The worst loss-incuring year was obviously last year, when he caused a cumulative loss of 39228 points.

But there are so many others also worthy of hall of fame status. Argiro Ospina, Moreno Moser, Andy Schleck, Matthew Lloyd to name a few.

Can anyone guess who the most picked rider in CQ game history is? Compared to the above-mentioned legends, he has actually gone a bit under the radar.

Re: Re:

Squire said:
Hugo Koblet said:

Most of that came in 2014, when he lost 16006 points in total for 106 CQ managers by giving a return of 66 points for a cost of 217.

GP Blanco said:
Good call. I made some calculations on potential rivals to Goss' overall points loss, and two riders beat him. One was Ricco, who incurred a loss of 30744 points when he crashed the seasons of 42 managers in 2011. The other one, and the biggest points thief in CQ game history, is Carlos Betancur. Assuming he doesn't score more this year, he has lost a net total of 34803 points for CQ managers! :eek: Pretty astonishing, considering he turned a profit the first three years of the game. The worst loss-incuring year was obviously last year, when he caused a cumulative loss of 39228 points.

But there are so many others also worthy of hall of fame status. Argiro Ospina, Moreno Moser, Andy Schleck, Matthew Lloyd to name a few.

Can anyone guess who the most picked rider in CQ game history is? Compared to the above-mentioned legends, he has actually gone a bit under the radar.
Haha these stats are absolutely hilarious :D The most picked rider? Hmm, my guess would be Haussler.

Squire said:
Hugo Koblet said:

GP Blanco said:

Hmm, that's some good trivia... I must admit that as much as I've paid attention to this game over the years, I've never thought about who the most picked riders ever would be. Without looking back on any previous years, I'd say maybe Porte or Gerrans? Leaning toward Gerrans.

Re:

barmaher said:
Tyler Farrar must score highly by some of your metrics.
Farrar has been comparatively anonymous. He's the 113th most picked rider (61 picks), with a net score of -7465 points.

Hugo Koblet said:
Haha these stats are absolutely hilarious :D The most picked rider? Hmm, my guess would be Haussler.
Haussler is actually not even in the top 20, despite being the most popular pick in 2011.

skidmark said:
Hmm, that's some good trivia... I must admit that as much as I've paid attention to this game over the years, I've never thought about who the most picked riders ever would be. Without looking back on any previous years, I'd say maybe Porte or Gerrans? Leaning toward Gerrans.
Now we're getting a bit closer. Porte is in 11th and Gerrans in 13th.

The problem with these riders in terms of maximising numbers of picks, is that they've had more or less alternating good and bad seasons, which won't get them consistently picked by a good number almost every year. The absolute top picks, it turns out, are often riders with great promise who have never really delivered on it, but still done enough for people to keep the faith. Which the all-time most picked rider is a great example of.

The CQ game players' top favourite is a rider who might even solidify that record next year: Taylor Phinney! With 293 picks (4 more than Goss), he has been in 37% of all CQ teams ever submitted.

Squire said:
barmaher said:
Tyler Farrar must score highly by some of your metrics.
Farrar has been comparatively anonymous. He's the 113th most picked rider (61 picks), with a net score of -7465 points.

Hugo Koblet said:
Haussler is actually not even in the top 20, despite being the most popular pick in 2011.

skidmark said:
Now we're getting a bit closer. Porte is in 11th and Gerrans in 13th.

The problem with these riders in terms of maximising numbers of picks, is that they've had more or less alternating good and bad seasons, which won't get them consistently picked by a good number almost every year. The absolute top picks, it turns out, are often riders with great promise who have never really delivered on it, but still done enough for people to keep the faith. Which the all-time most picked rider is a great example of.

The CQ game players' top favourite is a rider who might even solidify that record next year: Taylor Phinney! With 293 picks (4 more than Goss), he has been in 37% of all CQ teams ever submitted.
Wow, really? I seem to remember Haussler being quite popular in a few versions and the most popular in the first edition, though I guess there weren't as many participants back then. Bad guess by me then!

Update #37: 747 takes off

We're getting down to the nitty gritty of the game, with the last World Tour race in the bag and the Worlds coming up. At this point in the game, the last few weeks tend to be about who is still riding more than who you picked, as a couple of riders dominating late-season races can really win the week. This week, of course, there were a bunch of Italian races, some for sprinters and some for climbers, and a few other 1-day races around, but the big points were in Lombardia.

This Week's Top Scorers

1 Jakob747 688
2 Trudgin 575
3 Jspear 551
4 rote_laterne 527
5 simple 514

Jakob747 has a late season surge to top the leaderboard for the first time - in fact, before this week, that team was one of three to have not scored any points in the green jersey competition all year! (more remarkable is that 4th place rote_lanterne was also one of those three teams, so that's two teams having a late-season highlight). Jakob747's teams have always been more on the 'rarer picks' side of things, and it had the right combo this week, with Chaves (7 teams) and Villella (14 teams) picking up some strong points, as well as more popular picks Gaviria and Lopez. Trudgin, last week's winner, continues a run of success, with Colbrelli, Rosa and Visconti leading the way. Jspear rounds out the podium with contributions from Chaves, Lopez, Barguil.

This Week's High Movers

Rank Team Up/down
1 Jakob747 (+17)
2 axis (+10)
2 Total Package (+10)
4 Blues in the bottle (+9)
5 GP Blanco (+8)
5 snccdcno (+8)
5 the asian (+8)

Jakob747 does the double here, climbing 17 spots. axis (with help from Bardet/Barguil/Gaviria) and Total Package (Barguil/Lopez/Gaviria) tie for second. With the big races and big points mostly in the past, the moves are relatively small compared with the early season fluctuations.

Green Jersey Competition

Rank Team Total
1 Emericlabordure 278
2 Eric10 221
3 Jancouver 175
4 freshman 173
4 Roda_na_Frente 173
6 Roubaix 169
7 Pentacycle 161
8 togo95 160
8 the_fool_on_the_hill 160
10 Slapshot 157

With so many teams at the top relative newbies to the weekly points, there is not much change in the top 10. togo95 got 10 points to move into the top 10, but other than that it was only overall leader Emericlabordure padding their lead, with 4 points for 14th place on the week (Bouhanni and Coquard got some points for their team).

Rank Team Points
1 Emericlabordure 145.4
3 freshman 117
4 scrooll07 105.3
5 Eric10 96
6 ironted 94
7 Roubaix 93
8 EvansIsTheBest 86.4
9 hilltopfinisher 80
10 just some guy 78
10 LosBrolin 78

Similar story here - EvansIsTheBest got 2.4 points for being in a 5-way tie for 8th place, as did Emericlabordure. Being 25 points ahead of the next closest competitor is one thing; being 27.4 points ahead makes it pretty insurmountable at this point. It could be that someone has a rider that gets lots of points in overlapping weeks and is in the right place in the table to move up alot both weeks; but the weeks are running out, for sure.

Top 10 Overall

Rank Up/down Team Points
1 (-) skidmark 14227
2 (-) jeroenk 13847
3 (-) Eric10 13596
4 (-) Kjellus 13456
5 (-) abbulf 13385
6 (-) Squire 13332
7 (-) Kazistuta 13181
8 (+1) togo95 13148
9 (-1) Hugo Koblet 13113
10 (-) search 13091

This table seems to be solidifying - just the slightest movement in the top 10, and over 200 points between 10th and 11th. That said, the Worlds is big points, and with the potential for such a big bunch to make it to the end, the unexpected could happen. 400 points is up for grabs for the win, and a well-timed attack, poor co-operation in the bunch, a crash... there is some potential for unexpected results to mix it up by the end.

Spreadsheet at dropbox

Thanks for the update!

I decided to have a quick look at how the remaining races (Worlds, mainly) will affect the fight for the podium. I identified eight not universally shared riders in the top 6 teams with a decent possibility of scoring somewhat significant points in what remains of this season:

T. Martin: WC TTT & TT
Jungels: WC TTT, TT & RR
Demare: Binche (Won), Paris-Tours, WC RR
Meersman: Paris-Tours
Cort: Paris-Tours, WC RR
Mezgec: WC RR
Mohoric: Potentially Tour of Hainan
Bauhaus: Münsterland (7th), U23 WC RR

Everybody have Kittel, Phinney and Gaviria, so they don't count.

So let's see how things are looking for the (somewhat solidified) top 6:

6. Squire 13332
(T.Martin, Jungels, Demare, Bauhaus)
My team is looking good for the WC, and the 250 points gap up to the third podium spot could be bridgeable with some luck. Martin could win both the TTT and TT, and if he wins the latter, he might even show up for 80 points in the Chrono des Nations, which he has won three times in the past. Catching Eric10 might not be enough, though. As we can see...

5. abbulf 13385
(T.Martin, Jungels, Demare, Cort)
... is also a strong challenger. With Cort/Bauhaus being the difference between abbulf and Team Squire, it could come down to whether the Dane is able to upset the apple cart in Doha. Both abbulf and Team Squire would need Jungels to do a good TT (& TTT) in order to have any chance of the podium.

4. Kjellus 13456
(nobody)
Bye, bye! Already lagging behind the others because of Demare's Binche victory, Kjellus is likely to end up last among these six teams. He will need a miracle to happen in order to podium. No potential China-goers either.

3. Eric10 13596
(Demare, Cort, Mohoric)
He sits in 3rd with an okay-ish gap down to the two main podium challengers, but with nobody for the TT, Eric10 could be in trouble if Martin wins. Will be hoping for a good RR by Cort to keep Team Squire at bay, but abbulf is a real danger. If Mohoric starts ripping it up in Asia, no-one can touch his podium spot. jeroenk in 2nd will be hard to move past though, with only Cort in Eric10s favour, plus the off-chance that Yannick Martinez and Jack Haig scores a bunch of Asian points.

2. jeroenk 13847
(Jungels, Demare, Meersman, Mezgec, Mohoric)
Unless the stars align for Eric10 and Magnus Cort, jeroenk sits very safely in 2nd. A gap of 500 points is more than enough to hold off the Martinites in 5th and 6th, and as the only guy in the top 6 with Mezgec, they'll be hoping for a surprise WC performance from the Slovenian. jeroenk even has 32 unique Capiot points incoming already. It'll be incredibly hard to move up a spot, though.

1. skidmark 14227
(T.Martin, Demare, Meersman, Cort, Mohoric, Bauhaus)
Barring alien abduction, skidmark looks to be the winner. Unsurprisingly, he's got a solid team for the Worlds as well, including one of the favourites for the U23s, who has 42 points this week already. The tiny possibility of tons of Mohoric points is also covered, and knowing skidmark, he'll probably find a way for Meersman to win Paris - Tours, just to rub it in.

There's also the 2.HC Tour of Abu Dhabi, which will likely include riders from the CQ game. There aren't gazillions of points available there though, especially not with some tier one climbers present, but surprises can happen. However, we are quite unlikely to have a new Mareczko impacting the very top of the standings this year, I think.

It seems like Tony Martin, Bob Jungels and Magnus Cort will be key riders to determine the last podium spot, in addition to who can get a lucky break in Japan or Abu Dhabi.

Another great post Squire
Don't give up hope Kjellus, down here in kangaroo land if has been the festival of the underdog with huge premiership droughts broken by the underdogs. So there is still hope.

And in realtion to your other post I have both Goss and Betancur in my team this year :redface:

Jan 2, 2013
twitter.com
Re:

Tigerion said:
Another great post Squire
Don't give up hope Kjellus, down here in kangaroo land if has been the festival of the underdog with huge premiership droughts broken by the underdogs. So there is still hope.

And in realtion to your other post I have both Goss and Betancur in my team this year :redface:
Doesnt look good, R Costa and van Garderen also letting my expectations down.

Top 10 for second year in a row will be huge, so happy with the team overall :)

Update #38: MADRAZO breaks away for weekly titles, Emericlabordure all but sews up classification jerseys

The worlds have started in earnest, and Paris-Tours was but the biggest name in a handful of one-day races this week. The biggest points left for a single event on offer are this week at the WCTT and WCRR, before the points taper off at the end of the season. Things have solidified, but this week is likely to be the last one to potentially hold a huge surprise and surge up or down the table.

This Week's Top Scorers

1 MADRAZO 739
2 ansimi 683
3 Emericlabordure 674
4 snccdcno 639
5 search 629

Demare and Gaviria are the guys who gobble up the points on MADRAZO's team, but their extremely impressive showing is due to a good spread of points from a variety of riders. Tony Martin and Sam Bennett both scored over 60 points, but scoring between 25-40 points for MADRAZO was Stefan Kung, Amaury Capiot, Gianni Meersman, Taylor Phinney, Marc Sarreau and Bert Van Lerberghe. And impressive showing indeed. ansimi settles for second with a collection of some of the same riders, with Jonas Van Genechten's 88 points proving a difference maker with the other teams below. Guess who - Emericlabordure - rides the sprinters on their team to third place on the week.

This Week's High Movers

Rank Team Up/down
1 MADRAZO (+12)
2 Lortnoc (+8)
2 tom_jelte (+8)
2 ingsve (+8)
2 will10 (+8)

The clear winner again is MADRAZO, while there is a logjam behind, with a four-way tie for second place.

Green Jersey Competition

Rank Team Total
1 Emericlabordure 308
2 Eric10 221
3 Jancouver 175
4 togo95 174
5 freshman 173
5 Roda_na_Frente 173
7 Roubaix 169
8 Pentacycle 161
9 the_fool_on_the_hill 160
10 Slapshot 157

It's over. A couple of teams were making small inroads in recent weeks to make a miracle comeback and victory slightly less impossible, but Emericlabordure comes in with 30 points for third place to move almost 90 points in front of second place, and well over 130 in front of third. There are simply not enough weeks left in the season to make up that deficit. Elsewhere in the top 10, togo95 scores points for the second straight week (14 this week, 10 last) to move into the top 5. No other teams in the top 10 scored this week.

Rank Team Points
1 Emericlabordure 155.4
3 freshman 117
4 scrooll07 105.3
5 Eric10 96
6 Roubaix 94.5
7 ironted 94
8 EvansIsTheBest 86.4
9 hilltopfinisher 80
10 just some guy 78
10 LosBrolin 78

It would be difficult not to call this one over either; not quite so insurmountable, but with points in the second straight week Emericlabordure solidifies at the top. For the rest of the top 10, Roubaix finished in a 4-way tie for 9th on the week and got 1.5 points out of it (which moved their team up a spot), but that is the only scoring in the rest of the top 10.

Top 10 Overall

Rank Up/down Team Points
1 (-) skidmark 14809
2 (-) jeroenk 14420
3 (-) Eric10 14035
4 (+1) abbulf 13931
5 (+1) Squire 13920
6 (+2) togo95 13753
7 (-) Kazistuta 13748
8 (+2) search 13720
9 (-) Hugo Koblet 13701
10 (-6) Kjellus 13700

Some strong scorers in the top 10 overall on the weekly standings - 6 of the top 10 teams overall were in the top 20 teams this week. Unfortunately, Kjellus was not one of those teams, and falls precipitously from just off the podium to 10th place. The podium remains the same, and there is some jockeying around in the top 10, but no new entrants or departures to report. Everything in place for the worlds this weekend; we should have a good picture of where things stand for the last phase of the season after that.

spreadsheet at dropbox

TRENDING THREADS