• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The annual 'who wins the Tour de France poll' 2020 edition

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who wins the Tour de France 2020?

• Roglic

Votes: 56 33.1%
  • Bernal

Votes: 25 14.8%
  • Pinot

Votes: 22 13.0%
  • Dumoulin

Votes: 37 21.9%
  • Pogacar

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Quintana

Votes: 13 7.7%
  • Landa

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Alaphilippe

• Martinez

• Other

Votes: 11 6.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
He's never had a better result in a WT classic or any one day race of significance before.

It was the first monument start of his career but it is a race for climbers and he finished behind MVP.
Compare him to George Bennett who is Jumbos 3rd or 4th best guy. He lost nearly 8 minutes.
He looked worse than his Giro opponent Nibali. Who isn´t known for a good shape prior to his GT target. He looked even worse compared to guys that targeted the Tour (Mollema, Schachmann).

It was the first monument start of his career but it is a race for climbers and he finished behind MVP.
Compare him to George Bennett who is Jumbos 3rd or 4th best guy. He lost nearly 8 minutes.
He looked worse than his Giro opponent Nibali. Who isn´t known for a good shape prior to his GT target. He looked even worse compared to guys that targeted the Tour (Mollema, Schachmann).
Yeah, keep comparing him to Mollema, Nibali- monument winners and one of the best one day racers among climbers in the peloton.

Carapaz has never shown any profficiency in one day racing whatsoever.

This Lombardia performance was better than anything he had shown before in these types of races at that level so how can this be used to argue he's not going to do well in the upcoming GT?

I also like how you highlighted that he crashed in Poland but not that he won a stage there. ;)

Yeah, he looked worse than Nibali or Mollema in a classic, you can as well complain that he looked worse than Ewan or Viviani on a flat stage. :)

Reactions: Kaptain Kool
Yeah, keep comparing him to Mollema, Nibali- monument winners and one of the best one day racers among climbers in the peloton.

This Lombardia performance was better than anything he had shown before in these types of races at that level so how can this be used to argue he's not going to do well in the upcoming GT?

I also like how you highlighted that he crashed in Poland but not that he won a stage there. ;)

Yeah, he looked worse than Nibali or Mollema in a classic, you can as well complain that he looked worse than Ewan or Viviani on a flat stage. :)

Not complaining. Just don´t think that his recent results make him one of the Tour favorites. He wasn´t great in Burgos. Won an uphill sprint in Poland. Crashed. Wasn´t able to follow the best climbers in Lombardia. Lombardia isn´t Paris-Roubaix. It´s a climbers race. Not to mention that the field was weak because most big names prefered to race the Dauphine. I can use other riders for comparisation if you want to. The guy with the most comparable results is Ben Hermans. One spot behind Carapaz in Burgos. Slightly ahead of him in Lombardia. Does not scream Tour winner to me.
If you want to argue that he can sneak into the top 10. Sure. But that´s not the topic of this thread.

Funny how some are dismissing EF. EF might be the best of the rest in the startlist
Only mentions for Martínez, but forgetting Urán and Higuita.

Nonetheless, I'll go with the mainstream
Roglic
Bernal.
Pinot
Dumoulin
one EF
Quintana
Pogacar
López
Buchmann
Landa

Reactions: Big Doopie

The stage he won in poland was impressive, but it was an uphill sprint, not a mountain stage. He looked helpless the day after when he needed to chase. Due to his crash? Who knows, but considering he wasn't great in Burgos either, i'm gonna guess he just wasn't good enough. In Lombardia he didn't do anything to convince me of the contrary. I assumed he still had time for the Giro, but now he's going to the Tour... I don't exactly have high hopes for him.

Funny how some are dismissing EF. EF might be the best of the rest in the startlist
Because they said they weren't going to ride for GC i guess?

The stage he won in poland was impressive, but it was an uphill sprint, not a mountain stage. He looked helpless the day after when he needed to chase. Due to his crash? Who knows, but considering he wasn't great in Burgos either, i'm gonna guess he just wasn't good enough. In Lombardia he didn't do anything to convince me of the contrary. I assumed he still had time for the Giro, but now he's going to the Tour... I don't exactly have high hopes for him.

Because they said they weren't going to ride for GC i guess?
They said that?

Even with TJV being so strong, this TDF could be wide open. I keep thinking about how Nibali looked back in 2014, when he dominated the Tour (admittedly, with Contador and Froome crashed out). That year, Nibali looked pretty dreadful well into the spring, but it turns out he was timing his form to perfection. So, in 2020, maybe some other strong rider who hasn't shown that much will rise from the contenders and put in a shocking performance. Who knows? . . . But yeah, most likely the winner comes from guys at the top of the favorites list.

Even with TJV being so strong, this TDF could be wide open. I keep thinking about how Nibali looked back in 2014, when he dominated the Tour (admittedly, with Contador and Froome crashed out). That year, Nibali looked pretty dreadful well into the spring, but it turns out he was timing his form to perfection. So, in 2020, maybe some other strong rider who hasn't shown that much will rise from the contenders and put in a shocking performance. Who knows? . . . But yeah, most likely the winner comes from guys at the top of the favorites list.

Nibali was 7th in the Dauphine. Never losing more than 20-30s to Contador or Froome on a single mountain finish. From the last day of the Dauphine to the start of the Tour he had 3 weeks to close the gap. He also won a difficult Italian NC just a week before the Grand Depart.
Maybe some of the riders were bluffing but I don´t think any of the GC guys that were dropped early in the Dauphine will be able to challenge TJV. Ineos already waved the white flag. Same for Mitchelton-Scott.
The battle for the mountain jersey will be brutal. Multiple GC riders in bad shape. Wouldn´t be suprised if they follow Nibalis example from last year. Use the first two weeks to get in shape and go for a stage win or the mountain jersey in week 3.

Reactions: gregrowlerson
What´s up with Mitchelton-Scott. No GC this year? Strange to announce that they will go for stage wins before the race even started.
Adam not in shape? What about Chaves and Nieve? Chaves looked good in Burgos and Poland. Same for Nieve.

Simply S.Yates as their number one GC rider wants to ride the Giro - A.Yates no longer has interest in riding GC at GT's, hence his proposed move to Ineos - Chaves is in the same boat as A.Yates - Haig would have lead a GT this year but he is moving - Anyway last year's TDF where they went stage hunting worked, so you may as well go again.

• Heart says Pinot.
  • Head says: Man we've been there before. He's gonna tear you apart sooner than later. Don't do it to yourself.
  • Heart: Tommy D then.
  • Head: He's a domestique now. Will have to work for others.
  • Heart: Roglic looks injured though.
  • Head: Roglic is a freaking robot. He doesn't get injured.
  • Heart: What about Kruijswijk? He's long due a big win.
  • Head: Out.
  • Heart: Froome?
  • Head: Out too. Don't you read the CN forum?
  • Heart: I only pay attention when someone mentions Moreno Moser.
  • Head: He's definitely not gonna win the Tour.
  • Heart: You never know with cycling.
  • Head: Oh, that I know. He retired last year. Won't ride the Tour.
  • Heart: ...
  • Head: let's settle for Bernal ok? Monster climber, great recovery... And he used to live in Italy. Man you gotta like him.
  • Heart: If you say so.

Bernal it is.

About EF: Before the Dauphiné I would have included Higuita, but he looked completely out. Could be that's just because of the crash. Then he could surprise, however I would expect him to do so by winning stages, not the GC.
Uran, love the guy, but no. He's not in podium contention.

I think Adam Yates has a good chance to win a stage, but for GC it would only be "somewhere on the list, not too far away", so stages make sense.

If only I knew if Roglic's comments are actually how he's feeling or if he's taking a page out of Contador or Valverde's playbook. That would really help me make a decision.

Either way it's strange imo. Nobody's going to underestimate him anyway regardless of what he says. And if he's not feeling good he'll be exposed as well. What's the point in saying this beforehand?

So none of the favourites go into this without any pain:

Roglic: crash effects
Bernal: back pain
Pinot: back pain
Quintana: knee pain
Buchmann: crash effects

Dumoulin is fine, but who knows whether his knee issues don't come up again...

None of them caught Corona, though. thumbs up

Pogacar, Superman and Martínez have remained unhurt so far. The same goes for Landa but he needs to not get cramps as severely as in Dauphiné in the Tour.

Reactions: Sandisfan

TRENDING THREADS