• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Cat Thread

Page 20 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Wow. Looks like someone didn't have a problem with it:

101_4746.jpg

I do know some people get Servals, Savvanah's and the small Bengals.

But there are rules and laws in many areas. You'd basically have to have a large house, and keep it inside.

serval.jpg

nyyko.jpg

10191875-exotic-bengal-cats-can-be-seen-this-weekend-at-the-longview-texas-cat-show.jpg

usedtobefast has a pic in this thread of someone with a bobcat. That would be pretty cool having a cat that big. A friend of mine once had a bob (or manx/tom mix) out on his farm. They also had a black lab. The cat was almost as tall on all 4s as the dog. It was funny watching the two interact. The cat would just lazily mosey thought the yard while the dog would be dancing in circles round the cat, but NEVER getting closer than about 5 feet. That cat had him edicated.

usedtobefast said:
88%20Andy%20Samberg%20Hi-Fives%20A%20Bobcat.jpg

bobcat, kind of baddazz

Alpe d'Huez said:
Wow. Looks like someone didn't have a problem with it:

101_4746.jpg

I do know some people get Servals, Savvanah's and the small Bengals.

But there are rules and laws in many areas. You'd basically have to have a large house, and keep it inside.

I could just see it now from an unhappy neighbor... "your cat ATE my dog".

Actually did some reading up on this. Servals and Savvanah's are fairly common. Caracals, Bobcats and Lynx, not. But a few people have even gotten Cougars as pets, if you can believe that.

As beautiful as they are, exotic animals like this don't make the best pets, obviously. They tend to rip everything up in the house if you aren't with them, they are prone to spraying inside, are very temperamental, etc. Sort of like having a feral cat inside your home. Best to have a very large, enclosed back yard, with an indoor area protecting it from the elements. Sort of like your own little zoo. But some people do keep them indoors a lot, amazingly enough, like some of those photos.

Imagine this scene: A burglar comes up to a house, sees a sign on the front door "beware of cat", laughs. Opens the door, starts wandering through the house, and runs into a cougar!

Alpe d'Huez said:
Actually did some reading up on this. Servals and Savvanah's are fairly common. Caracals, Bobcats and Lynx, not. But a few people have even gotten Cougars as pets, if you can believe that.

As beautiful as they are, exotic animals like this don't make the best pets, obviously. They tend to rip everything up in the house if you aren't with them, they are prone to spraying inside, are very temperamental, etc. Sort of like having a feral cat inside your home. Best to have a very large, enclosed back yard, with an indoor area protecting it from the elements. Sort of like your own little zoo. But some people do keep them indoors a lot, amazingly enough, like some of those photos.

Imagine this scene: A burglar comes up to a house, sees a sign on the front door "beware of cat", laughs. Opens the door, starts wandering through the house, and runs into a cougar!

Or my cat Scout...
Jul202011

May 23, 2011
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:

SBT savannahs make good pets. You take a greater risk that the cat will hard to live with than you do with a non-hybrid cat. The problem is that people want a huge cat, and that means an F1 or F2 male. So the chance of getting a cat that is intolerable to live with a pretty good.

So..in a moment of weakness I spotted a humane society pet of the week poster with a poor kitty that looked like she really needed a home.
She had been with a family for 9 years, they had to give her up, and she lost an eye due to glaucoma....she's a pretty siamese mix and is 10.5 years old.

We have a shy happy 9 yr old female at home...has been the only cat for 9 years with us. Are we crazy for thinking about adopting another cat and does anyone have any experience with how they might adapt to the new arrangement and each other??

Our family of four is quiet and we have a house with room for two cats...
our resident cat loves to go outside, the new one has been an indoor kitty.

I'd love any feedback...I think we are going to go see her tomorrow.
thanksx, mew :)

mewmewmew13 said:
So..in a moment of weakness I spotted a humane society pet of the week poster with a poor kitty that looked like she really needed a home.
She had been with a family for 9 years, they had to give her up, and she lost an eye due to glaucoma....she's a pretty siamese mix and is 10.5 years old.

We have a shy happy 9 yr old female at home...has been the only cat for 9 years with us. Are we crazy for thinking about adopting another cat and does anyone have any experience with how they might adapt to the new arrangement and each other??

Our family of four is quiet and we have a house with room for two cats...
our resident cat loves to go outside, the new one has been an indoor kitty.

I'd love any feedback...I think we are going to go see her tomorrow.
thanksx, mew :)

No problems, mate. It'll prolly be fine. We have a 13 yo boy who was 10 when we adopted a stray kitten. The kitten, the devil kitty in my forum album, wasn't even 6 weeks when she got separated from the unknown litter. She literally fit in the palm of my hand. The boy is shy and not used to much activity. Enter girl kitty. Instant wake-up call for the ol boy. The little girl is, or can be, quite aggressive. So it was funny watching her little petite body kick the ol boy's ar$e. Hence her nickname, devil kitty. They actually get along quite well and play a lot more than ol boy wants to I'm sure. But it's all good. I think the funniest interaction between the two was when they were playing and ol boy was feeling frisky. He dove on top of the little girl when she was on her back. Well, he's a long haired cat and the only thing you could see of little girl was her head... everything else was completely covered. She didn't know what to do because at the time he outweighed her 5 times over. In everyday life they share the same food and water bowl, and he's even a gentleman letting her have the first crack at the food before he takes his turn. Adopting the kitty has been a good for both cats as they keep each other company when the rest of us are out of the house. And as they are both indoor cats they are around each other all day long... both fixed OFC.

on3m@n@rmy said:
No problems, mate. It'll prolly be fine. We have a 13 yo boy who was 10 when we adopted a stray kitten. The kitten, the devil kitty in my forum album, wasn't even 6 weeks when she got separated from the unknown litter. She literally fit in the palm of my hand. The boy is shy and not used to much activity. Enter girl kitty. Instant wake-up call for the ol boy. The little girl is, or can be, quite aggressive. So it was funny watching her little petite body kick the ol boy's ar$e. Hence her nickname, devil kitty. They actually get along quite well and play a lot more than ol boy wants to I'm sure. But it's all good. I think the funniest interaction between the two was when they were playing and ol boy was feeling frisky. He dove on top of the little girl when she was on her back. Well, he's a long haired cat and the only thing you could see of little girl was her head... everything else was completely covered. She didn't know what to do because at the time he outweighed her 5 times over. In everyday life they share the same food and water bowl, and he's even a gentleman letting her have the first crack at the food before he takes his turn. Adopting the kitty has been a good for both cats as they keep each other company when the rest of us are out of the house. And as they are both indoor cats they are around each other all day long... both fixed OFC.

Thanks so much OMA. I appreciate the feedback for sure.
I guess I am more worried because of two adult females, although both fixed, as it seems more reasonable to introduce a young kitten. And neither cat has lived with others....they may in time become friends, but even if they peacefully coexist ignoring each other would be fine. I'm just hoping our family cat does not become stressed for life.

But...this poor kitty needs a family and I guess it was meant to be, as this is how I view most things in life! :)

I think it'll be fine with your old gaurd as long as you show her plenty of attention and don't ignore her. We sort of made a point of showing attention to our old man. We actually had to call off our kitty once in a while when she got too rambunctious for the old boy. You know, by just raising the voice slightly while calling her name. Just enough to get her attention. That let him know we still had his back if he needed it.

on3m@n@rmy said:
I think it'll be fine with your old gaurd as long as you show her plenty of attention and don't ignore her. We sort of made a point of showing attention to our old man. We actually had to call off our kitty once in a while when she got too rambunctious for the old boy. You know, by just raising the voice slightly while calling her name. Just enough to get her attention. That let him know we still had his back if he needed it.

Yup, we've got plenty of hugs to go around here. We will separate them for a few days/weeks and go slowly. At night our home kitty will still have the run of the house and our bedrooms, as we can keep our newcomer in her own room at night. She loves our yard also.
Two lucky animals instead of one. :)
cheers

mewmewmew13 said:
Yup, we've got plenty of hugs to go around here. We will separate them for a few days/weeks and go slowly. At night our home kitty will still have the run of the house and our bedrooms, as we can keep our newcomer in her own room at night. She loves our yard also.
Two lucky animals instead of one. :)
cheers

Definately so, knowing you are such cat lovers who care.

It's funny about our youngest cat. At first I was opposed to the idea because my wife is allergic to cats. But we heard the story about this kitten, went to see her, and bang... we adopted again in spite of her allergies. Now, 3 years later, we can't imagine not having the little fart and are glad to have been able to help provide a nice home for her.

mewmewmew13 said:
We have a shy happy 9 yr old female at home...has been the only cat for 9 years with us. Are we crazy for thinking about adopting another cat and does anyone have any experience with how they might adapt to the new arrangement and each other?
Bless your heart for doing that!

The big key is that even if she's shy, just spend time with her. Sit in the same room she's in and read. If she's on the couch, sit next to her. Talk to her. Simple things like that will let her know she's loved and belongs there. If your cats can find their own space they should be okay together.

Another trick is going to be to learn what your cat likes and expects. This is as simple as litter and food, to how when she looks at you a certain way you know what she wants (picked up, petted, wet food, fresh water, clean litter box, etc.). You probably know what I mean from your other cat, and this new one is going to take a little effort.

We've owned about a dozen cats over the last ten years, and probably over 50 kittens and rescue cats passed through our home for short periods of times. Kittens, old cats, sick cats, healthy cats, even feral cats (not recommended!). All of them are different.

Alpe d'Huez said:
Bless your heart for doing that!

The big key is that even if she's shy, just spend time with her. Sit in the same room she's in and read. If she's on the couch, sit next to her. Talk to her. Simple things like that will let her know she's loved and belongs there. If your cats can find their own space they should be okay together.

Another trick is going to be to learn what your cat likes and expects. This is as simple as litter and food, to how when she looks at you a certain way you know what she wants (picked up, petted, wet food, fresh water, clean litter box, etc.). You probably know what I mean from your other cat, and this new one is going to take a little effort.

We've owned about a dozen cats over the last ten years, and probably over 50 kittens and rescue cats passed through our home for short periods of times. Kittens, old cats, sick cats, healthy cats, even feral cats (not recommended!). All of them are different.

So we picked her up this afternoon and right now we are doing exactly this, Alpe!
My son is reading and I am on CN....she is so happy and she is extremely social and cozy and obviously content with her new home. :)

We fixed up our downstairs spare office/bedroom with a new bed for her, new litter box in the closet, little placemat with bowls, water, food.
She is relaxed. I'm exhausted from all the emotional overthinking! :p

With her closed in this room tonight, our other cat has sniffed around and seems pretty benign acting. Tomorrow we will let our resident cat outside and let our new kitty explore to her hearts content. I'm pretty sure that after a few days things will be good. She can sleep in here at night and be undisturbed. I can tell how thankful she is that she found a family.

Thanks to all of you here....some big hearts on this forum, eh?
tomorrow I will post a pic!

picture.php

This is our new kitty Oatmeal or Oatie...she came with her name! This is her third full day...I'd say she is pretty darn happy.
She's a great cat, sweet and loves people. She has one eye, four teeth and is a bit overweight, but super happy.

So far we have and will keep her separated from our other cat, who doesn't seem a wreck at all like I thought she would. In fact, when Oatie spied our resident cat at the door outside she hissed, but we will wait for several days before we try to introduce them.

Luckily, our home cat loves to spend her days outside when it's nice...so we put the new girl in her room, open the door and let our other cat in for a bit, then juggle them all day.
At night, the new one is in her room and our cat roams our house. So far not bad.

I sure hope one day they can be together without a problem....
you folks with multiple cats must have seen it all!
Thanks for the support!! :)

TRENDING THREADS