• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Dog Thread

Page 18 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
TR you did a great job! Is there a Garmin or anything attached or is it a classic version?
Thank you, BR.

For now it's a classic - I need to work on my core strength so I can push more efficiently, and Toby needs to lose some weight! But once we're in better shape I might add on some other bells and whistles, and then you can all look for us on Strava.

If I ever trust a photo host again, I will dig out the trailer I made to haul my Lab to the river and show it to you. I just bought a two kid trailer that hooks to the bike axle, gutted the seats, and then put in a plywood floor. She thought that she was the queen of the world as we peddled to the river! If I left it sitting in the yard she would go sit in it like "come on, let's go!". I really enjoy Buddy (Terrorist), but I still really miss my Lab!

I used a single speed cruiser bike, but with a 50 lb bike, and 60 lb dog it was tough so I had my LBS rebuild the wheel with a 3 speed internal hub.

Reactions: Tricycle Rider
If I ever trust a photo host again, I will dig out the trailer I made to haul my Lab to the river and show it to you. I just bought a two kid trailer that hooks to the bike axle, gutted the seats, and then put in a plywood floor. She thought that she was the queen of the world as we peddled to the river! If I left it sitting in the yard she would go sit in it like "come on, let's go!". I really enjoy Buddy (Terrorist), but I still really miss my Lab!

I used a single speed cruiser bike, but with a 50 lb bike, and 60 lb dog it was tough so I had my LBS rebuild the wheel with a 3 speed internal hub.
That trailer sounds so AWESOME!

I'll PM you, we just have to find a way for you to post your dog pictures. I'd love to see them, and I'm sure everyone else here would as well!

So... what you're saying is that Toby is the new Very Cute Dog?
I hadn't even thought of that, but now that you mention it... if there ever should be another Tour de Quarantine (god help us all) Toby and I have something to shoot for. Although, stage 13 did look rather daunting, think that's the one with all the very tight hairpins.

Well, Toby will just have to lose even more weight for that stage and that's all there's to it.

Reactions: jmdirt
Few things,
I hope that Dog washing is introduced as an Olympic event..I will get gold..podium for sure.
Food cooking quantities are varying wildly..both my dogs getting Chicken Parmesan..Coq au Vin..pizza ..beef bones..and much of dog food that they are bored with is getting flavor jazzed w leftovers..
And I have plumbing issues in 2 countries!!! Seeing Toby's PVC mobility cart makes me wonder if a member here can fix everything that is broken w my pipes!! Impressive work on every level..
I think Toby feels the care!!
We are having a really intense red tide..beaches for the most part are closed..my dogs discuss seagulls conspiracy..my golden picks up a ball or rope toy and thinks he is going to the car for a trip to the water or dirt trails for playing..both dogs super disappointed with life..

There has been a bit of BBQ around our house..I get a big bag of natural wood charcoal..I do a weekends worth..grilling corn, chicken, veggies and beef and then storing uneaten stuff for the coming days.
I can't tell who did it but an ear of corn,couple chicken pieces and some Turkish kebab meat was removed from the immediate area next to the very hot grill. The kebab meat was taken off the rear of the grill. From what I see without any burn injuries to either dog..both dogs had BBQ sauce on paws and faces....* Both dogs also had BBQ sauce on genitals!!as if they were playing Twister w sauce covered chicken.
Both Max and Ruby(Roubaix) have very mixed up dog priorities..going for corn before meat..
I cleaned them using the garden hose.today will be another full shampoo..Ruby has knocked over and consumed a pina colada..not sure if it was the flavor or the ice..both dogs love ice. They are constantly committing party fouls and don't ever get too concerned over punishment.. Covid 19 makes it hard for me to have them put to sleep and shop for another dog..I think that they sense that I am soft..?
I hope all have a great Memorial Day..
* Dogs can't digest corn cobs..I found that out this morning*
Neither dog seems to remember what has happened over the last..24-48 hours

Toby went in with me at the first sign of noise .

We just know each other that way, after all these years
Couple of towns here put on 2 big shows, normally. One on the river, the other at a local football stadium. Both were cancelled due to C19. Folks here must have saved up a mortar barge amount of money over the past 3 months by doing nothing. So, it was a war zone around our house. Armageddon. Quite a few folks, including some in our block, must have spent thousands on fireworks. And not just the little firework stand stuff. The big illegal stuff. Mortars that make that deep thud when ignited. Some that shook the windows. We overlook a canyon, so can see out quite a way, and it was like watching one of those big shows. However, wee doggo, or Sir Barksalot, handled it like a champ. He just sat on my lap out on the patio while we all watched. He watched too, you know, ears up, head turning this way and that. Dogs I know can't see color but however he sees it sure got his attention. And he didn't shake, whine or want to go inside at all. A real gun dog. I don't know why he's that way, cuz I've never shot off a gun around him. If he wasn't such a short-legged, long-haired fuzz ball I'd have him out bird hunting.

During the action, some freaked out racoon came up out of the canyon into our yard, but didn't stay once he saw us. Luckily, doggo didn't see him!

How did all of the pooches survive the "explode your neighborhood" parties last night? Buddy had a pretty rough time! No amount of TV, stereo, and fans could distract him from the scary noises outside.
Would like to reply to this a little more in-depth...

When Toby was younger I just crawled under the bed with him to keep him calm, just wanted to make sure he knew everything was still ok. As he's getting older (and possibly more deaf) he just knows to go inside, we both got bored with this shitshow called fireworks. I still keep an eye on him, though.

So yeah, I think as long as you physically stay with the animals (doesn't have to be a dog, would hate to see how cats react), stay calm, and reassure them they will eventually adjust.

Any of you have any suggestions on how to keep a neighbor's dog from jumping my fence to get into my yard? At the moment I'm trying to dig some rusty chicken wire out of our garden that we haven't used in about 2 years and attach that to our fence. Today I chased it out my yard with a broom while screaming at it. I feel bad for the other two dogs that got extremely scared and were throwing themselves at their door to try to get back in their house.
Neighbors on the other side have a wonderful boxer whom I've met and talk to anytime she's outside and when they have her in the front yard either getting back from a walk or just with them their I'm always happy to go talk to her and pet her. She can be very jumpy and excited but all you have to do is tell her to calm down and she does to get pet. She's well trained.

Any of you have any suggestions on how to keep a neighbor's dog from jumping my fence to get into my yard? At the moment I'm trying to dig some rusty chicken wire out of our garden that we haven't used in about 2 years and attach that to our fence. Today I chased it out my yard with a broom while screaming at it. I feel bad for the other two dogs that got extremely scared and were throwing themselves at their door to try to get back in their house.
Neighbors on the other side have a wonderful boxer whom I've met and talk to anytime she's outside and when they have her in the front yard either getting back from a walk or just with them their I'm always happy to go talk to her and pet her. She can be very jumpy and excited but all you have to do is tell her to calm down and she does to get pet. She's well trained.
I'm assuming that you already talked with said neighbor? Make them extend the fence if you can. Animal control?

Would like to reply to this a little more in-depth...

When Toby was younger I just crawled under the bed with him to keep him calm, just wanted to make sure he knew everything was still ok. As he's getting older (and possibly more deaf) he just knows to go inside, we both got bored with this shitshow called fireworks. I still keep an eye on him, though.

So yeah, I think as long as you physically stay with the animals (doesn't have to be a dog, would hate to see how cats react), stay calm, and reassure them they will eventually adjust.
I agree that being with a stressed pet helps assure them, but Buddy was really freaked out by all of the huge bangs this year. Belle, the Lab that I used to have, didn't even really pay attention to them. We have an old cat who would hide under the bed for fireworks, thunder, loud cars passing, etc., but now that she is deaf, none of that bothers her (silver lining).

I'm assuming that you already talked with said neighbor? Make them extend the fence if you can. Animal control?

Yep and they know the dog jumps the fence. They won't supervise it when they let the dogs out. The other dogs don't jump the fence. The problem is they won't do anything about it. I also want this dog to learn there are consequences for not respecting the fence.

Yep and they know the dog jumps the fence. They won't supervise it when they let the dogs out. The other dogs don't jump the fence. The problem is they won't do anything about it. I also want this dog to learn there are consequences for not respecting the fence.
If they have to pay animal control, they might decide to do something about it. A HOT wire along the top of your fence should create a consequence.
https://www.premier1supplies.com/p/raccoonnet-4-18-12-kit-electric-netting?cat_id=160

What kind of fence do you have now (wood, link, other). How tall?

Reactions: Koronin
If they have to pay animal control, they might decide to do something about it. A HOT wire along the top of your fence should create a consequence.
https://www.premier1supplies.com/p/raccoonnet-4-18-12-kit-electric-netting?cat_id=160

What kind of fence do you have now (wood, link, other). How tall?

It's wood. The slats are 4ft with 2 ft of lattice work on top of that. The posts are 6ft. The dog is jumping through the latticework destroying that. Funny enough my husband was thinking about putting some sort of electrified/hot wire along the top of it and maybe through the latticework.

I just checked to see what the local ordinances are as we have no statewide laws at all. About 1 year ago my county put in an "at large" dog law.

Thanks for the link.

The only reason we aren't getting the house ready to sell right now is my husband is transferring to a different VA Hospital. We have to get him moved there and still get a few things here taken care of. Hopefully in about 3 months we'll have the house up for sale. Where he's transferring is where we've been trying to get him a job for about 10 years and I've already been told a transfer there is going to be extremely easy because the manager there is always looking for help.

Reactions: jmdirt

TRENDING THREADS