• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Dog Thread

Page 19 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Any of you have any suggestions on how to keep a neighbor's dog from jumping my fence to get into my yard? At the moment I'm trying to dig some rusty chicken wire out of our garden that we haven't used in about 2 years and attach that to our fence. Today I chased it out my yard with a broom while screaming at it. I feel bad for the other two dogs that got extremely scared and were throwing themselves at their door to try to get back in their house.
Neighbors on the other side have a wonderful boxer whom I've met and talk to anytime she's outside and when they have her in the front yard either getting back from a walk or just with them their I'm always happy to go talk to her and pet her. She can be very jumpy and excited but all you have to do is tell her to calm down and she does to get pet. She's well trained.
just some thoughts... We had probs with critters like raccoons & skunks grubbing in our yard. I bought some Critter Ridder at Home Depot and that seemed to work okay. It's supposed to work on pets, but doesn't last long if it rains. Soaking the top of the fence with something like that (there are other options) might discourage the pet. OFC the question is how determined/ stubborn is the animal, etc. And then how aggressive, dangerous and vicious is the animal. I mean, what you don't want is the dog getting into your yard and then attacking someone on your property. BTW, a dog license for a vicious animal is alot more spendy that one for a well behaved pet, in some locales.

Something like critter deterrents might be worth a shot if talking to the owner like jmdirt says doesn't work. And then if neither of those things works there is the nuclear option - reporting it to the city (especially if you have leash laws & ordinances that govern that type of pet [and owner] behavior). If your town has those kind of regulations, then they probably have an animal control officer or code enforcer. Ours has both. Plus you can look up the codes online. What the city can do is write a letter to the owners to correct the problem or face fines or be required to purchase a more expensive dog license.

But I don't recommend HOT WIRES on the fence. My neighbor tried that with a habitual jumping/ escaping dog. I used to play fetch with that dog in their front yard when he was a pup. That animal became vicious after getting electrocuted while successfully escaping over or through the hot wire (and worse, while he was getting soaked by sprinklers - so he was electrocuted when wet). I was home that day he escaped, screaming bloody murder as he got shocked. Peeking over the fence, I discovered his sprinklers were soaking the entire grass kennel/ pen and he had no doghouse to take cover in. Moron owner ruined the dog, a normally nice mix of black lab & german shorthair.

Last edited:
just some thoughts... We had probs with critters like raccoons & skunks grubbing in our yard. I bought some Critter Ridder at Home Depot and that seemed to work okay. It's supposed to work on pets, but doesn't last long if it rains. Soaking the top of the fence with something like that (there are other options) might discourage the pet. OFC the question is how determined/ stubborn is the animal, etc. And then how aggressive, dangerous and vicious is the animal. I mean, what you don't want is the dog getting into your yard and then attacking someone on your property. BTW, a dog license for a vicious animal is alot more spendy that one for a well behaved pet, in some locales.

Something like critter deterrents might be worth a shot if talking to the owner like jmdirt says doesn't work. And then if neither of those things works there is the nuclear option - reporting it to the city (especially if you have leash laws & ordinances that govern that type of pet [and owner] behavior). If your town has those kind of regulations, then they probably have an animal control officer or code enforcer. Ours has both. Plus you can look up the codes online. What the city can do is write a letter to the owners to correct the problem or face fines or be required to purchase a more expensive dog license.

Had thought about something like critter ridder or something specific for dogs, but I think I need to get the chicken wire up first then maybe soak it in that stuff. Yeah, the rain issue does become a problem with all those things.

The dog appears to be stubborn. I don't know how aggressive the dog. I'm going to say not highly aggressive as it did go back to it's yard when I screamed at it. Yeah, calling animal control is down the list of things. Not sure about leash laws per say, but I did look it up and county does have an ordinance where a dog outside of it's yard and not under the control of it's owner is a dog at large. (Under control can be via voice command. Had a neighbor where I used to live who had her two dog trained perfectly to voice command and they never left her yard. No fences there.) I live outside the city, but this is a full county ordinance.

Last edited:
You flatter me, BR, and I'm loving every minute of it!

Do you own a dog, cat, horse, or any other animal that gets really upset once it hears the firecrackers?

No animals here apart from a huge bunch of stuffed ones. So far I have decided against it because I'm too often not at home for weeks. But my parents always had animals, dogs especially, until the last one died last year, and I remember well how they reacted to the fireworks on New Year's Eve, even though the direct neighbours were quiet. My mother always tried to calm them, but it was horror for them nonetheless. (It's always a family's get-together, so nobody could care for the dogs all the time.) In the last year that last dog was pretty deaf and that was probably the nicest New Year's Eve he's ever had.

Bought the dogs a bag of Crave food..claims of high protein and some primal meat sales slogan..both dogs unimpressed..I think maybe my dogs came from an island of lazy,dirty good for nothing dogs that sat around eating eggplant and bananas. They do love meat,but when the recipe scientists blend whatever,my dogs do not respond..
Have you tried a brand called FreshPet? It looks a bit like a tube of Braunschweiger and can be found in the grocer's pet food refrigerator. Toby just joneses for it, it's like he's reliving his second puppyhood.

Reactions: jmdirt
Have you tried a brand called FreshPet? It looks a bit like a tube of Braunschweiger and can be found in the grocer's pet food refrigerator. Toby just joneses for it, it's like he's reliving his second puppyhood.
I have seen it,and a couple of other looking..Jimmy Dean for dogs..little problem with planning..I buy all my pet food in the US and bring it Thursday or Friday afternoon when I ride back..my motorcycle luggage is pretty run of the mill low end..I have iced both bags and have little weep holes drilled in the bottom so whatever I am transporting on ice has a chance..before the holes are often the ice melts within 60-90 minutes. So I may buy a couple of tubes of canine crack,freeze it and transfer it into the bags w ice and ride like the wind..
I may just bungee a decent little ice chest on the bike if they like it and rush home a cord of frozen dog food logs..I will probably start by mixing it with their dry food for starters and see what kind of cheap to expensive ratio they will tolerate..
Toby looks looks lots cooler than my dogs..and another fun food fact about my 4 Mexican animals..all will eat refried beans like I eat ice cream..the cats lick beans off your fingers..it's probably a pork fat shortening that is in all the best tasting brans..Manteca..
And another unfortunate food fact..in order to make a perfect fish taco you must use Manteca..

I have seen it,and a couple of other looking..Jimmy Dean for dogs..little problem with planning..I buy all my pet food in the US and bring it Thursday or Friday afternoon when I ride back..my motorcycle luggage is pretty run of the mill low end..I have iced both bags and have little weep holes drilled in the bottom so whatever I am transporting on ice has a chance..before the holes are often the ice melts within 60-90 minutes. So I may buy a couple of tubes of canine crack,freeze it and transfer it into the bags w ice and ride like the wind..
I may just bungee a decent little ice chest on the bike if they like it and rush home a cord of frozen dog food logs..I will probably start by mixing it with their dry food for starters and see what kind of cheap to expensive ratio they will tolerate..
Toby looks looks lots cooler than my dogs..and another fun food fact about my 4 Mexican animals..all will eat refried beans like I eat ice cream..the cats lick beans off your fingers..it's probably a pork fat shortening that is in all the best tasting brans..Manteca..
And another unfortunate food fact..in order to make a perfect fish taco you must use Manteca..
Whatever it takes, bro, whatever it takes.

Here's Toby with his latest crack in his little crack den... it may be a bit pricey, but given his age I think he deserves it as long as he likes it.

How are are all of the pooches settling in to the winter weather? If you don't have cold weather, I don't want to hear about it! :) Buddy doesn't mind the temps, but he doesn't like the wet very much. The elk are moving down into the foothills, and he thinks that it would be fun to roll in the piles of elk marbles, and he can't understand why I won't let him.

EDIT: is that post just above me spam?

• Haha
Reactions: Tricycle Rider
How are are all of the pooches settling in to the winter weather? If you don't have cold weather, I don't want to hear about it! :) Buddy doesn't mind the temps, but he doesn't like the wet very much. The elk are moving down into the foothills, and he thinks that it would be fun to roll in the piles of elk marbles, and he can't understand why I won't let him.

The ole Toby just got a bubble bath, naturally he's having his usual shitfit. I gave him a bath not just because of the upcoming holidays (we're just staying in and keeping things safe), but because he just stank too much. So if you see a three-legged dog coming your way in ID just know it's a very angry Toby.

Pawfives to Buddy from Toby - you all stay safe and don't eat or roll around in anything weird, you hear! (Especially those Elk pellets, I don't even know what that is all about.)

Btw., yes, that post by rabbittdott, or whatever, is probably very much spam.

• Haha
Reactions: jmdirt

Castman

BANNED
Nov 23, 2020
Visit site

Never would have thought my first post on a cycling forum would be in a dog thread, but damn we all love our furry friends.

I live in a little town above 9000ft in SW Colorado and winter is setting in. Have a Pyrenees/Bernese mix named Skate. She is just getting into her element. Napped for a couple hours in the snowfall on the snowmobile cargo sled the other day. As far as the elk and moose droppings go, I gave up a few years ago when she was a pup.

Never would have thought my first post on a cycling forum would be in a dog thread, but damn we all love our furry friends.

I live in a little town above 9000ft in SW Colorado and winter is setting in. Have a Pyrenees/Bernese mix named Skate. She is just getting into her element. Napped for a couple hours in the snowfall on the snowmobile cargo sled the other day. As far as the elk and moose droppings go, I gave up a few years ago when she was a pup.
Skate sounds lovely, can you post a picture of her, especially if she's rolling around in the snow? (Not the elk droppings, although that would be pretty funny.)

Cool, Burnese are great dogs. Our Mini Schnauzer is friends with a Burnese Mountain dog in our suburb. They've known each other since they were pups and it's hilarious seeing the two of them together.

They love to play and it works well because the Burnese has displaced hips meaning our little guy can keep up no worries.

Cool, Burnese are great dogs. Our Mini Schnauzer is friends with a Burnese Mountain dog in our suburb. They've known each other since they were pups and it's hilarious seeing the two of them together.

They love to play and it works well because the Burnese has displaced hips meaning our little guy can keep up no worries.
This definitely deserves a photo, can you take/post one of those two playing around, pretty please?:D

Castman

BANNED
Nov 23, 2020
Visit site
A 9kg dog playing with a 50kg dog is a good sight :D

We live in a small mountain town of about 500 year round residents and Skate has 2 siblings here. They are known to find each other quite regularly and wander town together. One sibling has a 6 lb Yorkie as a house mate that likes to join them on their wanderings (in the summer months!). We get 1000+ tourists a day in the dry months and I can only imagine how many people have taken pics or videos of the 4 together. It is a sight to see be seen!

• Haha
Reactions: 42x16ss
We live in a small mountain town of about 500 year round residents and Skate has 2 siblings here. They are known to find each other quite regularly and wander town together. One sibling has a 6 lb Yorkie as a house mate that likes to join them on their wanderings (in the summer months!). We get 1000+ tourists a day in the dry months and I can only imagine how many people have taken pics or videos of the 4 together. It is a sight to see be seen!
Are you a bot?

TRENDING THREADS