The Grand 2022 Wollongong UCI Road World Championships Thread, September 18th-25th

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Usually that's true for classic oriented riders who can take it easy and pick two or three stages to go in the break on a terrain they excel in and go for stage win.
Not necessarily. The rider I had in mind was Cadel Evans. 3rd on GC in 2009 Vuelta and some say he could have beaten AV if not for his team messing up a bike change. Then Cadel aced the worlds at Mendrisio on a tough course. Obviously Evans wasn't too tired? I am sure there are others? Plus at Ayuso's age recovery is usually better.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Not necessarily. The rider I had in mind was Cadel Evans. 3rd on GC in 2009 Vuelta and some say he could have beaten AV if not for his team messing up a bike change. Then Cadel aced the worlds at Mendrisio on a tough course. Obviously Evans wasn't too tired? I am sure there are others? Plus at Ayuso's age recovery is usually better.
But at Ayuso's age you don't generally ride a GT for a GC right until the end.

He is pretty good in these kind of flatish TTs and Bike Exchange setup is quite good this year.
Plapp is tired after the Giro or it could be that Bike Exchange wants any points Durbridge could grab from the ITT - Durbo should finish in the 12th to 15th bracket.
yeah, I was just surprised as all this was known already when they initially confirmed Plapp to do the ITT, and it sounded like he was really looking forward to it.

It could make sense to rest him for the TTT of course, but Australia's team for that one (Plapp, O'Connor, Schultz, Baker, Chapman, Manly) doesn't look great either.

yeah, I was just surprised as all this was known already when they initially confirmed Plapp to do the ITT, and it sounded like he was really looking forward to it.

It could make sense to rest him for the TTT of course, but Australia's team for that one (Plapp, O'Connor, Schultz, Baker, Chapman, Manly) doesn't look great either.
The women's side is strong enough but on the men's side you need a Dennis and a Hepburn or Durbridge.

So the men’s TT starts around midnight Saturday in the US and 5AM Sunday in Europe? Is Ganna going favorite to win? I haven’t seen anyone mention Pog for the TT but he’s on the startlist. You never know with him..
Given his usual standards, he has throughout his career been really bad in standalone time trials. He has legendary recovery levels, which play little to no role in such, it's a different prep, different focus. I'd be somewhat surprised if he even podiumed.

ITT:

1. Ganna
  2. Remco
  3. Bissenger
WC:

1. WVA
  2. Poggy
  3. Trentin
For the TT i'm not sure this is a course that really suits Bissegger. I'm actually thinking Hayter may surprise here (not for the win, but the podium). But it will be interesting if Küng can shed his "best of the rest" label here. He's only been on the podium once before and that was when Evenepoel was out of commission. This year Van Aert isn't riding, Ganna's form has been suspect on occasion and Evenepoel is coming out of the Vuelta, which could go either way. This would be a good moment for Küng to finally step up. I'm afraid this might come back to haunt Van Aert though, if he doesn't win the RR (for which imho he isn't the big favourite either).

From what i gather from Jens Verbrugghe's (autocorrect wants to turn that into Veggieburger) comments the TT course is difficult to plan a pace, because it's a lot of short sections of up and down with lots of bends, meaning you can't really look at your powermeter because the sections are too short and constantly differing. A lot will have to be done on feeling and experience. There are a lot of corners, but roughly 1/3rd of those can be taken at high speed according to Evenepoel.

Given his usual standards, he has throughout his career been really bad in standalone time trials. He has legendary recovery levels, which play little to no role in such, it's a different prep, different focus. I'd be somewhat surprised if he even podiumed.
Copenhagen wasn't affected by recovery, so I think the difference is more down to how well the riders prepare for different events.

Armstrong was (consistently) the best TT'er of the early 00's, but he would only bring his A game to the Tour.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS