• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Grand 2022 Wollongong UCI Road World Championships Thread, September 18th-25th

Page 58 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Van der Poel would be an excellent companion to attack with from far out. He will commit fully and ride 100%. Then Evenepoel can easily drop him in the final lap, considering Evenepoel, unlike Van der Poel, doesn't fade away after a long range attack. It would be a much bigger problem if Pogacar joined him. He's not going to drop Pogacar 1v1 and he's not going to outsprint him either.

PS: Adrie's advice to Mathieu in case Evenepoel attacks: "Don't try to follow him." (click)
If he's going 70-100 km out, then yeah, let him go, but in the last 3 laps, I think Van Der Poel will mark Remco personally, if he has the legs of course. And no, if Van Der Poel has De Ronde form, Remco won't drop him.
Anyway, I would really love to see an attack containing these two, and I guess, cause it's not the most difficult course, they would be joined by a couple of more guys. Some French and Italian would be a good combination, and a dream scenario would include Peter Sagan also.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Some numbers.

Van der Poel:
200+ km races: 7 wins out of 44 = 15.90%
250+ km races: 2 wins out of 13 = 15.38%

Van Aert:
200+ km races: 14 wins out of 76 = 18.42%
250+ km races: 3 wins out of 20 = 15.00%

Pogacar:
200+ km races: 6 wins out of 41 = 14.63%
250+ km races: 1 wins out of 12 = 8.33%

Evenepoel:
200+ km races: 6 wins out of 32 = 18.75%
250+ km races: 1 win out of 3 = 33.33%

Laporte:
200+ km races: 4 wins out of 100 = 4%
250+ km races: 0 wins out of 31 = 0%

Cosnefroy:
200+ km races: 3 wins out of 79 = 3.80%
250+ km races: 1 wins out of 17 = 5.88%

Hayter:
200+ km races: 0 wins out of 24 = 0%
250+ km races: 0 wins out of 6 = 0%

I think she has less blame for the last km with avv, where she was kind of boxed in, than for not coorperating fully in the group. When she evaluates the race without the high race pulse, I hope she learns from it. It is kind of a new situation for her though, not being the underdog in group 1 and she got too defensive, imo.

but surely in those situations the racers instinct is to attack ? avv rides past them like they are standing still and none of them, none of them reacted to it, who did they think it was ? another magpie attacking ???

I tell my friends oh the womens race is going to be far more interesting and attacking and will be far better than the mens for sure, and then Im left trying to explain how all the riders in the lead group within touching distance of the finish of a world championship race, not only did not react and simply looked at each other the instant Avv just rode past them, just let her carry on with it to solo to victory.

I liked Kasias instagram post where she posts a photo of her group and says basically "and just like that none of us ended with the medal..." which just sums it up, I dont understand why theyve become so reticent to work together thesedays, they just ride so defensively, its infuriating.

Well he's been very good this year, many ones and twos and like we saw in the Tour in Mende. Good pick imho.

"very good".
He got 2 wins, one in Catalunya beating a sick Colbrelli & Pacher, and the other in the Tour from a breakaway.
I have no idea why so many people are pretending like he got some god tier season. Don't get me wrong, he has shown some great things this year and I'm not saying there is absolutely 0 chance he wins, but there's no valid reason to put him in between or even above some of the best riders in the world on star lists.

I think she has less blame for the last km with avv, where she was kind of boxed in, than for not coorperating fully in the group. When she evaluates the race without the high race pulse, I hope she learns from it. It is kind of a new situation for her though, not being the underdog in group 1 and she got too defensive, imo.
When things really exploded behind Lippert and Niewadoma on the penultimate lap climb, she lost several wheel lengths and had to claw herself back to the front group. I was surprised she stated right with everyone on that final climb, but it still may have maxed her out (or perhaps in her head was too close to blowing up).

"very good".
He got 2 wins, one in Catalunya beating a sick Colbrelli & Pacher, and the other in the Tour from a breakaway.
I have no idea why so many people are pretending like he got some god tier season. Don't get me wrong, he has shown some great things this year and I'm not saying there is absolutely 0 chance he wins, but there's no valid reason to put him in between or even above some of the best riders in the world on star lists.

These listings are arbitrary.. I know he's not in such form like he was when he took green in 2017 Tour and was 3rd in Bergen (that btw was bit like tomorrows route that city circuit).

but surely in those situations the racers instinct is to attack ? avv rides past them like they are standing still and none of them, none of them reacted to it, who did they think it was ? another magpie attacking ???

I tell my friends oh the womens race is going to be far more interesting and attacking and will be far better than the mens for sure, and then Im left trying to explain how all the riders in the lead group within touching distance of the finish of a world championship race, not only did not react and simply looked at each other the instant Avv just rode past them, just let her carry on with it to solo to victory.

I liked Kasias instagram post where she posts a photo of her group and says basically "and just like that none of us ended with the medal..." which just sums it up, I dont understand why theyve become so reticent to work together thesedays, they just ride so defensively, its infuriating.
When it's all about an immediate response that you don't have time to think about, bravery is associated with a manly kind of stupid. So in the finale of races, I'd expect female racers to be more hesitant.

FdcgDn9XEAI2kCU

"very good".
who would you rate higher? Het Nieuwsblad for example always has one guy at five stars, two at four, and so on,

Swapping him with van der Poel and giving Matthews three stars instead would be fine of course, but I can't really see how any of the two star riders (Cosnefroy, Alaphilippe, Hayter, van Baarle) would deserve to be rated higher than him on a course like this.

Reactions: StryderHells
When things really exploded behind Lippert and Niewadoma on the penultimate lap climb, she lost several wheel lengths and had to claw herself back to the front group. I was surprised she stated right with everyone on that final climb, but it still may have maxed her out (or perhaps in her head was too close to blowing up).
The times that the break of 5 got up and tried to up the pace was breathtaking.. And none have any shame from over the top great effort.. Poland and South Africa should celebrate the style rather than results.. Raced like champions wo the title.. Belgium should go home disappointed especially after post race interviews were it's clear that the win was done without being able to sprint, said shoulder and elbow to damaged for any significant pressure.. Nobody reacted.. But when they did lots of speed.. Too late there are post race interviews w a few riders on YouTube

Riders should do this in the races. It reduces rolling resistance by 50%.
I know you're joking, but I still feel obligated: https://www.researchgate.net/public...ber_of_wheels_in_human-powered_vehicle_design

It actually increases rolling resistance.

It seems absurd to me that the difference should be that high just because Evenepoel is low and aero. I just don't believe it.
As a first approximation, I'd assume that it'd be proportional to CdA. If that's roughly the case, then 100 W is an unbelievable difference.

who would you rate higher? Het Nieuwsblad for example always has one guy at five stars, two at four, and so on,

Swapping him with van der Poel and giving Matthews three stars instead would be fine of course, but I can't really see how any of the two star riders (Cosnefroy, Alaphilippe, Hayter, van Baarle) would deserve to be rated higher than him on a course like this.
Matthews has 1 win and 17 top 10s out of 41 races of 250+k. His win was 8 years ago in the Giro, where he beat Wellens and Evans in a sprint of 4.

TRENDING THREADS