• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Great Grand-Tour-Game 2011

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
User Guide said:
ok team is in....
conti x3
cav x3
menchov x2 (TTs)
11 others with one each...... scattergun approach

It seems that´s most of us done. LMAO.... I worked the whole day in hope to finish with at least 15 points & win some tie-breakers to make the cut...

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Regardless felt like sharing

Any criticism please feel free to PM.

My top 20:

Velasco Alberto Contador 1
Vincenzo Nibali 2
Roman Kreuziger 3
Michele Scarponi 4
Denis Menchov 5
Oliver Joaquin Rodriguez 6
Stefano Garzelli 7
Marco Pinotti 8
Duran David Arroyo 9
Luca Danilo Di 10
Matteo Carrara 11
Candil Carlos Sastre 12
Garcia Daniel Navarro 13
Robert Kiserlovski 14
Yaroslav Popovych 15
Rinaldo Nocentini 16
Robert Kiserlovski 17
Ignatas Konovalovas 18
Thomas Lövkvist 19
Richie Porte 20

Stage winners
Stage 1: Venaria Reale - Torino TTT 19.3km Liquigas
Stage 2: Alba - Parma 244.0km Mark Cavendish
Stage 3: Reggio Emilia - Rapallo 173.0km Mark Cavendish
Stage 4: Quarto dei Mille - Livorno 216.0km Mark Cavendish
Stage 5: Piombino - Orvieto 191.0km Alessandro Petacchi
Stage 6: Orvieto - Fiuggi Terme 216.0km Alessandro Petacchi
Stage 7: Maddaloni - Montevergine 110.0km Vincenzo Nibali
Stage 8: Sapri - Tropea 217.0km Tyler Farrar
Stage 9: Messina - Etna 169.0km Vincenzo Nibali
Rest Day 1 - -
Stage 10: Termoli - Teramo 159.0km Alessandro Petacchi
Stage 11: Tortoreto Lido - Castefidardo 144.0km Tyler Farrar
Stage 12: Castelfidardo - Ravenna 184.0km Tyler Farrar
Stage 13: Spilimbergo - Grossglockner 167.0km Vincenzo Nibali
Stage 14: Lienz - Monte Zoncolan 210.0km Velasco Alberto Contador
Stage 15: Cnegliano - Gardeccia 229.0km Velasco Alberto Contador
Rest Day 2 - -
Stage 16: Belluno - Nevegal ITT 12.650km Michele Scarponi
Stage 17: Feltre - Tirano 230.0km Duran David Arroyo
Stage 18: Morbegno - San Pellegrino Terme 151.0km Duran David Arroyo
Stage 19: Bergamo - Macugnaga 209.0km Michele Scarponi
Stage 20: Verbania - Sestriere 242.0km Velasco Alberto Contador
Stage 21: Milano - Milano ITT 31.5km D Menchov

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Very conservative picking.
31 of 33 (94%) picked Contador as Overall-Winner. The other two picked Menchov.
Anyway, as i guessed earlier: The game will be decided on the low ranks of the Top 20. For that i hope Tiralongo makes it (few picked him, so that would be great).
The Stat-Sheet link is on Post #1

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
dlwssonic said:
damn I dont think Im gonna make it to the next roundwas rushing through my picks

No, no, you are one of the few having Tiralongo in the Top-20. My absolute new favourite, the guarantee for a good outing... Just kidding. But i like Niemiec. He was in consideration too for me, and Miholevic and and and.... Unlucky i had just 20 Spots;).

So i was going by weight, Nation (Italy) and WC-Status. It might be useless in the end.:eek:

May 27, 2010
Visit site
FoxxyBrown1111 said:
No, no, you are one of the few having Tiralongo in the Top-20. My absolute new favourite, the guarantee for a good outing... Just kidding. But i like Niemiec. He was in consideration too for me, and Miholevic and and and.... Unlucky i had just 20 Spots;).

So i was going by weight, Nation (Italy) and WC-Status. It might be useless in the end.:eek:

my stages are pretty crap

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
No, you did the best you can do. 3 times Cav, 3 times Contador. A tactic most of us used. Now it "only" depends on having picked the right stages...

P.S.: and you have 3 times Rodriguez. I might have gone with too many breakaway winners. I like your picks more.OMG

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Interesting Stage 1:
18 have HTC,
12 have Garmin,
2 go with Liquigas,
1 for Rabobank (and it´s not "Timmy loves Rabo"; why?? :rolleyes:)

Stage 2:
Cav 23 times,
Petacchi 8,
Farrar 2.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
damn my name :D
screw rabo. I don't think I picked them for a win at all haha. Kruijswijk just varely made my 20 (and I am not very confident regarding him)
Go Garmin :p

---

anyway looks nice, good job foxxy :)

So what stages did everyone choose for Contador

Anyone not choose Contador for stage 14?

Me I chose 9 13 and 14 on the basis that he might just run away with it first few mountain stage, then say screw it on 15 and 20. Think I went with Anton for those.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Just sent you a PM. The Stats are online now. There you can see where everybody picked Contador. I think every player picked the max. 3 Stage-Wins for Cav and Contador.

The remaining question seems to be if Contador wins by +5:00 mins. or not. LOL.

It gets really interesting from Stage 5 on. A good mix up of picks from there on so it seems.

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Hmm, looking through the lists I think maybe I should have taken a bit more risks.. I basically took all the safest bets possible (Contador on 1, Garmin on TTT, etc), but seeing as everyone did that, the winners will be decided through sheer luck on the 12-20 GC places. Some more risky bets might actually have given me a better shot at winning than this I think..

Also I've seen others with a lot better picks on some stages than mine, and I apparently forgot some very likely top-20 GC contenders (Zaugg for instance), so probably I won't be going along to the next round..

Oh, and I forgot stage 5 was strade bianchi, thought it was just a breakaway stage.. Hoogerland to win that stage seems highly unlikely ;)

Ah well, it'll be fun to see how far I'll get with this :) Thanks FoxxyBrown1111 for organising this!

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
I was planning to submit my entry today but apparently I was removed from the game because I didnt submit my team on time. Not sure why the cutoff is 48 hours before the start of the race?! I was waiting until the last minute to have as much info as possible available. A lot can change in last 48 hours. If you bet on any sport do you bet 48 hours before the game? WTF?!

Screw this. At least I can focus on the CQ game.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
luckyboy said:
I picked AC, Cav and Petacchi for two stages each.

Couple of wildcard breakaways in Wegmann, Cherel and Tankink.

Also, is the document not working for anyone else?

It seems the others have no problem. You may try it again... Tell me if it´s still not working then.

Greenflame said:
Hmm, looking through the lists I think maybe I should have taken a bit more risks.. I basically took all the safest bets possible (Contador on 1, Garmin on TTT, etc), but seeing as everyone did that, the winners will be decided through sheer luck on the 12-20 GC places. Some more risky bets might actually have given me a better shot at winning than this I think..

Also I've seen others with a lot better picks on some stages than mine, and I apparently forgot some very likely top-20 GC contenders (Zaugg for instance), so probably I won't be going along to the next round..

Oh, and I forgot stage 5 was strade bianchi, thought it was just a breakaway stage.. Hoogerland to win that stage seems highly unlikely ;)

Ah well, it'll be fun to see how far I'll get with this :) Thanks FoxxyBrown1111 for organising this!

Yeah a lot of luck. It´s like in poker to get to the final table.:D
But i hope my "weight"-Tactic works out. For those many mountains i was (almost) strictliy going with less than 70 kg riders. That´s why i took the likes of Tiralongo, Gadret, Ardila etc... and not Bakelants or De Greef. But who knows.

Strade Bianche i just found out by pure luck, otherwise i might not have picked Visconti.

TRENDING THREADS