• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Jai Hindley thread

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Will Hindley win the Giro d'Italia

• Total voters
Carapaz is far better, it's not even close.
Way better than TGH indeed but i still think that Carapaz level atm isn't much more above Hindley, Landa and Almeida! Not so much above that we can consider him to be the obvious winner of this giro. One step behind the slovenians and Bernal and maybe one step above the others like Vingegaard, Landa, Yates Brothers (only because they lack consistency), Dani Martinez, Vlasov, Enric Mas, Bardet, Almeida, Hindley, Kelderman, Buchmann, David Gaudu and Superman.

This seems to confirm my thoughts that Bora did a big dig today, whilst Ineos is playing the long game:

“I think on this kind of day it’s much better to be aggressive than to sit in the bunch,” Gasparotto said afterwards. “Today was the kind of day where we had to use the collective. Later on, the stages have more of a Big Tour rhythm. Ineos will probably take control of that and it’s much more difficult to invent something. We had to take this day to do it.”
Isolating Carapaz doesn't seem that hard. If you drill in on a technical descent you get rid of Suvakov and Porte and the rest isn't climbing that well.
If Bora and Bahrain do that and send Buchmann and Bilbao on the attack early on a final climb Carapaz will have to do most of the work.

Reactions: Sandisfan
The poster may be referring to what Nibali himself said in 2020? Nibs did ride that edition. I could be wrong but I recall reading in CN a quote from Nibali himself at that time that he claimed his watts in 2020 Giro were his highest ? Happy to b corrected.
Yes yes, everybody's watts were the highest in 2020. Bernal was pushing his biggest numbers when he randomly got dropped by Van Aert leading the peloton of over 50 guys. Bardet was also pushing his highest watts. Van Avermaet, De Gendt. Didn't mean a thing.

Yes yes, everybody's watts were the highest in 2020. Bernal was pushing his biggest numbers when he randomly got dropped by Van Aert leading the peloton of over 50 guys. Bardet was also pushing his highest watts. Van Avermaet, De Gendt. Didn't mean a thing.
I mean, the 2020 Piancavallo climbing times totally blew those of the easier 2017 stage out of the water, so there is at least a bit of truth behind Nibali's claim.

The poster may be referring to what Nibali himself said in 2020? Nibs did ride that edition. I could be wrong but I recall reading in CN a quote from Nibali himself at that time that he claimed his watts in 2020 Giro were his highest ? Happy to b corrected.
Weren't Nibali and Fuglsang talking about Piancavallo in isolation though? It was climbed at a blistering pace and Hindley looked exceptional doing it, but the Giro hadn't been raced too hard until then.

Weren't Nibali and Fuglsang talking about Piancavallo in isolation though? It was climbed at a blistering pace and Hindley looked exceptional doing it, but the Giro hadn't been raced too hard until then.
Yeh I think you are likely right - although I think there was stuff reported at the time about the effects of lockdowns that can't be discussed here?

Anyway difficult to compare 2020 with now, but Hindley looks like he is firing on all cylinders and the fact his team rode like they did on stage 14 tells me they have faith in his current form and abilities. My fingers are crossed for him.

Like to see him win but he will need a much better TT than usual to win the race as he isn't dominating on the climbs but the final TT is always tricky. Fatigue always plays a role and sometimes takes away the advantage from the better TT riders.
There's also a climb in the short, final ITT and Carapaz isn't that great of a TTer either. It could be really close.

Above anyone else I think that Landa has to
Make his move between tomorrow and Saturday stage, sooner than later imo because Saturday will suit more Carapaz than Hindley or Landa. Besides that he is the worst ttier of the 4 and he needs to be ahead Almeida at least 50 Seconds to take at least the podium.

I think it's great to see Hindley simply back, i.e. literally back at the top of GT racing.

Just ask Tao GH how things are going (hint: nowhere), so seeing Hindley prove he isn't a one hit wonder is already a huge success. Anything else is a bonus now.

Hardly anyone (probably not even his team either) 3 weeks ago would have predicted he'd only be 3 seconds behind the leader 4 days before the finish, so... there's no pressure IMO.

I also think he's fully capable of winning this race based on the form he's shown versus Carapaz. That doesn't mean it will happen (anything can happen including bad stuff), but I think the opportunity to grab glory definitely exists.

Above anyone else I think that Landa has to
Make his move between tomorrow and Saturday stage, sooner than later imo because Saturday will suit more Carapaz than Hindley or Landa. Besides that he is the worst ttier of the 4 and he needs to be ahead Almeida at least 50 Seconds to take at least the podium.
Not really, Landa has always been pretty good at altitude when he's in great shape. There isn't a big difference between his performances at high altitude compared to those at lower altitude. If others are stronger than him at lower altitude they are usually also stronger than him at high altitude.

Reactions: Sandisfan
3 seconds is nothing on the Marmolada. And we are judging his TT based upon prior years. In stage 2 Hindley was 6 seconds slower than Carapaz over 9km - anaerobic effort. He only needs to beat Carapaz. Carapaz might exceed but we won't know until it happens. Carapaz is the favorite but Hindley is a chance. Recovery is key. Plus its impossible to read Carapaz's face - he's proven himself to be a great faker - and didn't I see Landa yell at Carapaz for faking suffering late on stage 17?

But as said above its great to see Hindley simply back at his best. He is staring at his second grand tour podium. Fingers crossed he has good luck.

TRENDING THREADS