• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The official Egan Bernal is the new Egan Bernal thread

Page 54 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Gigs_98 said:
Still can't attack further away than a few kilometers from the top of the final climb
I think he attacked 6 km from the top. Or Thomas did, maybe I remember it wrong. In any case Bernal did just after that.

On Galibier he could have gotten more as well. I think Ineos is holding him back in that aspect, or rather, Geraint Thomas. Think it is obvious Bernal only attacked when he got the green light.

Valv.Piti said:
Gigs_98 said:
Still can't attack further away than a few kilometers from the top of the final climb
I think he attacked 6 km from the top. Or Thomas did, maybe I remember it wrong. In any case Bernal did just after that.

On Galibier he could have gotten more as well. I think Ineos is holding him back in that aspect, or rather, Geraint Thomas. Think it is obvious Bernal only attacked when he got the green light.

really, any proof of that?

Re:

Northerner said:
59km stage tomorrow. Bernal has one hand and four fingers on the trophy.
gettyimages_1164369021_670.jpg

So you're telling me I've got the yellow jersey, and there's just one climb left to get to Paris?

Re:

Poursuivant said:
His attack was beautiful on iseran... he had nibali, barguil, uran and simon yates, all fighting to hold his wheel and each one dropped one by one not able to keep the pace, till yates caught him on the descent, just outstrengthed world class riders, crazy strong.
Yeah, it wasn't even a blistering attack, he mostly just rode the favorites off his wheel when he upped the pace. SK and the others were right on his wheel until they weren't anymore.

As much as I don't particularly like the whole lot at Sky, Ineos or whatever, Bernal is a joy to watch. I am afraid he'll get so good that it will kill the excitement in many races. On the other hand I was convinced in 2009 that Contador will win at least another five Tours.

Re:

Rollthedice said:
As much as I don't particularly like the whole lot at Sky, Ineos or whatever, Bernal is a joy to watch. I am afraid he'll get so good that it will kill the excitement in many races. On the other hand I was convinced in 2009 that Contador will win at least another five Tours.
Unless Bernal becomes a dominant ITTer it may actually make the Tour put in ITTs again

Re: Re:

Red Rick said:
Rollthedice said:
Unless Bernal becomes a dominant ITTer it may actually make the Tour put in ITTs again
As long as they put longer multi climb stages I am fine with it.

Re: Re:

Escarabajo said:
Red Rick said:
Rollthedice said:
As long as they put longer multi climb stages I am fine with it.
Ofcourse.

One thing positive about this Tour is I do actually like the impact the altitude has had.

In this TDF, Bernal has done everything right and has executed at a very high/consistent level. He wasn't the strongest in the Pyrenees (though among the strongest) and his time-trial was just decent (not great), but he made no mistakes, respected his teammates, and made courageous moves when it counted in week 3. It looks like he is going to be a great champion.

Edit: Imagine if he had not broken his collar bone before the Giro. Would he have been good enough to beat Carapaz there? Maybe, maybe not. But he would have the Giro in his legs for the Tour and probably would be trailing G at this point.

Re:

Rollthedice said:

At least with riders like Contador and Bernal when they dominate it's more enjoyable to watch than the style of the others we've seen dominate recently.
Hopefully when he's undisputed team leader he will have total freedom to attack whenever he likes.

JosephK said:
In this TDF, Bernal has done everything right and has executed at a very high/consistent level. He wasn't the strongest in the Pyrenees (though among the strongest) and his time-trial was just decent (not great), but he made no mistakes, respected his teammates, and made courageous moves when it counted in week 3. It looks like he is going to be a great champion.

Edit: Imagine if he had not broken his collar bone before the Giro. Would he have been good enough to beat Carapaz there? Maybe, maybe not. But he would have the Giro in his legs for the Tour and probably would be trailing G at this point.

He is the best of the remaining riders for sure. But this race is without Dumoulin and Froome, had Nibali off the Giro and then lost Pinot - who was climbing better. And the course was perfectly suited to him with a short time trial. Eager to see him defend next year on a more balanced route with all the big guns peaking.

Edit: If Pinot had not torn his quad would Bernal had beaten him? Could play this game forever in cycling. One of the frustrating aspects of the sport.

TRENDING THREADS