• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The official Egan Bernal is the new Egan Bernal thread

Page 58 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
If he ever wants to win a GT, his TT-skills need a big improvement!

giphy.gif

He’s never going to beat Dani in an ITT, although just imagine how far behind he’d be if Dani didn’t ride for EF.

I know it has been fashionable to taunt EF for their lack of TT capabilities but last year they took a leap forward. Bettiol, Langeveld, Scully, Tejay, Craddock, Martínez, Carthy, Kangert and Urán - that's nine different riders - all finished in the top 8 of at least one WorldTour ITT.

I doubt any other team comes particularly close to that number but haven't checked.

I know it has been fashionable to taunt EF for their lack of TT capabilities but last year they took a leap forward. Bettiol, Langeveld, Scully, Tejay, Craddock, Martínez, Carthy, Kangert and Urán - that's nine different riders - all finished in the top 8 of at least one WorldTour ITT.

I doubt any other team comes particularly close to that number but haven't checked.

Okay, now I did check. They were literally the team with most top 10 placings in WorldTour ITTs last year with 17. In front of Jumbo-Visma with 15, Deceuninck with 14, Ineos with 11, Bahrain and Sunweb with 10.

They also have a healthy lead in most different riders getting top 10s (9 as I said - and they all even made a top 8). Here Bora is second with 7 different riders (only 8 in total, curiously) while Deceuninck and Jumbo have 6 (though, it has to be said that Evenepoel is not included as he didn't finish top 10 in a WT ITT even if he became European Champion and won silver at Worlds).

Dimension Data was the only team never to be in a top 10, while Latour saved AG2R from joining them with a 6th place in the last ITT of the season in the Vuelta.

And now a quiz: Who was the only non-WorldTour rider to make a top 10 in a WT ITT in 2019?

Edit: To keep this on topic, I should add that Bernal by getting a 6th place in the Paris-Nice TT was one of only five INEOS riders to help their tally reaching 11.

Okay, now I did check. They were literally the team with most top 10 placings in WorldTour ITTs last year with 17. In front of Jumbo-Visma with 15, Deceuninck with 14, Ineos with 11, Bahrain and Sunweb with 10.

They also have a healthy lead in most different riders getting top 10s (9 as I said - and they all even made a top 8). Here Bora is second with 7 different riders (only 8 in total, curiously) while Deceuninck and Jumbo have 6 (though, it has to be said that Evenepoel is not included as he didn't finish top 10 in a WT ITT even if he became European Champion and won silver at Worlds).

Dimension Data was the only team never to be in a top 10, while Latour saved AG2R from joining them with a 6th place in the last ITT of the season in the Vuelta.

And now a quiz: Who was the only non-WorldTour rider to make a top 10 in a WT ITT in 2019?

Edit: To keep this on topic, I should add that Bernal by getting a 6th place in the Paris-Nice TT was one of only five INEOS riders to help their tally reaching 11.
Mattia Cattaneo at the Giro

Reactions: Fus087 and tobydawq

Cattaneo?

Oops late to the party

He crashed hard. Video on YouTube. But he waited for his bike to be ready and kind of shook his crash off a bit and started chasing the lead group. He didn't have much help to chase Higuita and could only sprint for second beating Martinez and Quintana in the Sprint.

His bare a$$ was showing during the last kilometers of the race. He had lacerations on his leg as well. His performance was huge. But he said that it was important to him to give a good spectacle to the Colombian public.

Type this on YouTube: "Campeonatos Nacionales de Ciclismo de Colombia 2020"

Glad to see Bernal standing up for himself. It must be pretty discouraging to hear Froome and Thomas talk about going FTW in the Tour.

He is going to have to lay down some smack already in Stage 2 to keep those guys in line, I think...
To his mature credit he didn't suggest he was directly claiming the right to race his own race. He just wasn't intending to waste his race. That's wise considering his late form at the Tour was what sealed the deal. Froome and GT both spoke the party line about "legs deciding...". Also considering the schedule changes we will likely see roster shifts as well.
Either way; Bernal, Higuita, Tadej are going to make for some fun racing in the future.

TRENDING THREADS