• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The official Great Bauke Mollema thread

Page 34 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
and the olympics are 1 week after the tour

normally San Sebastian is 1 week after the tour. We all know how Mollema performs there.
hv6D2yS.png

Reactions: SHAD0W93
Oh my, there's this German song, we even sang that at school... I remember "Aber dennoch hat sich Bolle ganz köstlich amüsiert"... :flushed::flushed::flushed: I had forgotten about that, why could it not stay that way... that was so embarrassing to sing even when I was ten...

And I have to admit I always thought the name was ridiculous for such a skinny guy, there's something in it implying that the person is quite round. Maybe it's the German "mollig" ~ chubby.

TGBM is the kind of rider that appeals to people. He's not the unbeatable machine or the ingenious calculator, but someone who attacks and keeps trying. After several top 10 places in GTs he decided to make a change and adopt a more agressive riding style, which resulted in winning Lombardia and yesterday's stage.

He already tried to win a stage in the Giro by joining breakaways, but that didn't work out. So he tried again in the Ventoux stage, but again fell short. If at first (and at second) you don't succeed, try, try, try again, he must have been thinking, so he joined another break and attacked in the descent - knowing that he probably wouldn't get away on the climb. For someone who has tried so often victory tastes three times as sweet when it finally comes.

In the final two kilometers he didn't forget to show some grins and let his tongue hang out of his mouth. You have to think of the television audience; those images will be in the year overview and in his in memoriam. The only thing missing was a little pendant around his neck with a child's tooth or something - Michael Boogerd style. Well, he certainly got a terrific and well deserved win. A long solo in a mountain stage remains the most epic type of triumph.

Solid ride by Bauke. He looked like he was cooked on the Mikuni. I think he got the best possible result out of the race, considering who finished on the podium. He's already looking forward to San Sebastian, so we can probably expect him at the point end of the race next weekend.

Yes. Pogacar lost silver because of that, IMO. Although Mollema apparently said that Pog started it... which I didn't see. Pog's sprints are crazy strong when everyone is cooked.
Pog just mistimed the bike throw tbh. Mollema clearly started it, but I guess there's not much Pog can do about it considering Van Aert was riding very slowly in the lead up to the sprint.

Reactions: 18-Valve. (pithy)
Van Aert could easily have afforded to wait a bit longer with launching his sprint (I think he did so at >250 m to go), while Pogi left his slipstream with 100 m to go.

And maybe Mollema would have been 3rd if he had managed to take Van Aert's wheel, I'll have to rewatch it to say if I'd favour him over Pogi in that scenario (probably I would).

Van Aert could easily have afforded to wait a bit longer with launching his sprint (I think he did so at >250 m to go), while Pogi left his slipstream with 100 m to go.

And maybe Mollema would have been 3rd if he had managed to take Van Aert's wheel, I'll have to rewatch it to say if I'd favour him over Pogi in that scenario (probably I would).
All 3 of the last sprints he has done he has launched around 250.

TRENDING THREADS