• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The official Wilco Kelderman is the new Merckx-thread

Page 20 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Hey DT I'm starting to like your boy :D,I bet on him each way today according to your utter-fanboyism posts and I won:)D!),a lot...

Chapeau to Wilco,today it was the world-class effort.

retzko said:
yeah but i have never seen Gesink following a full gas LA.....
P-N and even the vuelta are different level then attacking an in form Alien like froome....

But dutch cyclists seem to mature early. I did race myself on junior level and they alreday work very professional at a very young age at that time.

In my time my team already raced with radio communication( around year 2001) , training in the alps and vosges etc. But the rabo teams seemed to be even more professional at that time wit a very international program etc.

So I am afraid they have little room to improve.
One look at the guy will tell you he has ample room to improve. He looks like he's 15 years old, and his racing nous is also that of a junior.

Gesink looked like a grandpa at age 20 already, and indeed he hasn't improved much (mainly due to a lot of bad luck though).

See? Dutch cyclists aren't all the same.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
ILovecycling said:
Hey DT I'm starting to like your boy :D,I bet on him each way today according to your utter-fanboyism posts and I won:)D!),a lot...

Chapeau to Wilco,today it was the world-class effort.

What odds did you get?

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
Very happy for Wilco... awesome ride.

Still it's difficult to judge against riders preparing for the Tour and riders coming with Giro form (Hesjedal/Moreno/?), who weren't able to follow him on the Zoncolan.

But I do remember some interview after his 'breakthrough' 4th place in the Dauphine ITT two years ago, that he's normally very good in this time of year. So I hope he can hold his form for another week and if CF and AC start looking at each other at one point (wishful thinking) he might be able sneak away to victory.

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
This guy will be a perenial GT podium finsher in the future he really is improving alot. He just lacks that little bit, he did not get destroyed today at the end he could hold that wheel for quite a while. He is probably Belkin's best climber already he is so good.

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
I'm really impressed with his yesterday's performance. Above all he seems likeable character.

And I'm glad he did so well yesterday because of people saying yesterday's stage was levels above Giro and such nonsense.

It wasn't levels above the Giro, but it was actually close.
6,05 w/kg by Froome/Contador..

Which means Kelderman climbed better than in the Giro as far as numbers go. Then again, most giro climbs are longer, and on a longer effort 6w/kg isn't that normal anymore. But suffice to say the level of today was comparable to that of top performances in the giro

Dekker_Tifosi said:
It wasn't levels above the Giro, but it was actually close.
6,05 w/kg by Froome/Contador..

Which means Kelderman climbed better than in the Giro as far as numbers go. Then again, most giro climbs are longer, and on a longer effort 6w/kg isn't that normal anymore. But suffice to say the level of today was comparable to that of top performances in the giro

that the gradients were lower probably helps Kelderman too. Will fight for podium spots in the tour over the next years :)

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Yeah when you're 10kg heavier than Quintana and Pozzovivo and 5kg heavier than Aru, steeper gradients dont help
It's also about the type of rider he is... Wout Poels probably is about the same weight as Kelderman, but he's great at steep slopes. He's a pure climber whereas Kelderman is not.

Remember that his first world class result among the pros was in a TT, not on a climb.

theyoungest said:
It's also about the type of rider he is... Wout Poels probably is about the same weight as Kelderman, but he's great at steep slopes. He's a pure climber whereas Kelderman is not.

Remember that his first world class result among the pros was in a TT, not on a climb.

You don't have to tell me. But riders like Kelderman often do great on TDF style ascents of only 6/7%. Like Wiggins when he discovered how to climb

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
You don't have to tell me. But riders like Kelderman often do great on TDF style ascents of only 6/7%. Like Wiggins when he discovered how to climb

I personally think he will be similar to Wiggins is that fair? Or would you say he is more explosive than Wiggo?. I think he will be a a better climber but a little worst than Wiggins has been in the ITT. But i see a few similarities between them.

TANK91 said:
I personally think he will be similar to Wiggins is that fair? Or would you say he is more explosive than Wiggo?. I think he will be a a better climber but a little worst than Wiggins has been in the ITT. But i see a few similarities between them.

I'd say he is more explosive than Wiggo. He has already animated mountain stages more than Wiggo ever has or will. :p Wiggo was/is all about tempo and nothing else.

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
TANK91 said:

That's not such a crazy thought because he once compared himself to Wiggins, as in type of rider.

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
Good performance again today I like this guys awareness of when to go. It will now be interesting to see how he finishes the race. Can he split the top 2 or even get on the top step himself?

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
Cycling`s new golden boy continues to shine, and how. It was only this time last year i was trawling the internet to find out more about this guy.
Having impressed us all in the Giro he now hangs tough on the steeps of the Dauphine mixing it up with la creme a la creme. A podium is a distinct possibility, it all depends on which step. If Froome and Contador continue to trade blows there is a talented young gun and future star who will be only too happy to nick their lunch money and stick a nice big feather in his cap.

TRENDING THREADS