• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Real Football Thread

Page 118 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
12106975_1007134042665185_3349319655177997494_n.jpg

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Re: Re:

Rechtschreibfehler said:
The Hitch said:
Anyway, does anyone actually watch Bundesliga. That league seems to be an absolute joke. Football's version of Manolo Saiz managing a team where the substitutes are worth more than anyone else in the league.

I guess you are referring to Bayern? Besides that:
The Bundesliga, as a whole, is an extremly close and very very tough contest. Very far from a joke really. There's a reason why Dortmung were at the very bottom of the league after half of the season. That's a team that won their CL-group while being in the relegation zone of the Bundesliga, and reached the quater final. But than again, I don't exactly know what you are actually talking about. ;)

Bayern's former manager Hoeness voiced concern a few years ago that the Bundesliga was reaching "spanish standards" - i.e. two teams dominating everyone else. Borussia's former coach Klopp then responded saying he was more worried that it was coming to "scottish standards" - i.e. one team dominating. One week later, Bayern signed Götze, the year after that Lewandowski.

The Bundesliga used to be more balanced. It used to be somewhat exciting because there was a wider variety of teams that could win the championship: in the last decade Dortmund, Wolfsburg, Stuttgart and Bremen have all won it, Schalke and Leverkusen have come close a few times. I don't follow other leagues as much, but it seems like there used to be a wider variety of possible contestants in the Bundesliga than in other leagues.

Right now it is very lopsided, but it can still be exciting every now and then. Augsburg for example got close to beating or at least a tie with Bayern a few weeks ago. In the near future, I think there is very little hope for it to get any better. One can only hope that Guardiola has grown bored with not having any competition in the league, yet regularly getting kicked out in the Champions League. Other than that, the only "hope" is that new clubs with big commercial backers like Red Bull Leipzig will pour massive amounts of money in that could come close to Bayern's budget.

Finally a team which beats Bayern again. I'm always annoyed when a team completely dominates the national league, so I'm happy if it at least looses in international games, because it means that the team isnt that good, but their nation pretty bad. And if that happens to a German club, its even better ;)

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Great seeing Mourinho lose again.

Bilic has been a great addition to the league. Good to listen to as well. Totally the opposite to Allardyce and his self-serving nonsense.

Now for Sherwood to get the sack.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
I have, of course, widely shared the above photo of the year. My son wants to blow it up to poster size.

I have been a Hammer for 47 years. I have never in that time seen a team with as much potential as this squad has. The difference in philosophy between Bilic and BFS is like night and day. It's like we've had a weight lifted off collective shoulders, allowing the team to believe in their own qualities, and that they can beat just about anyone at the moment. Money has been wisely spent. I still don't understand how we managed to bag Payet, who is everybody's 'revelation' of the season. The boy is immense, and simply oozes class and quality. Someone will offer 50m for him next summer.

Our bench yesterday was by some distance our most expensive bench ever. - Ogbonna £7m, Obiang £4.5m, Antonio £7m, Carroll £17m,Valencia £12m, Jelavic £3m.

Thanks for the good vibes guys. Based on everything I have seen so far, I see no reason why this team can't stay in the top six all season. And that, is an amazing statement for any Hammer with a history as long as mine to make.

edit - Sherwood sacked at Villa.

I do not expect West Ham to keep this up all season. Had some decent luck in some matches, especially City away. Amazing conversion they have had so far.

I hope I'm wrong though, it's a nice surprise high up the table. Leicester likewise, with Vardy scoring almost every match. That's quite a story, this Vardy. Couple years back playing 8th level or something.

Feyenoord defeated Ajax yesterday in the Dutch Cup. 3rd round match, I visited it. Terrible first half and a dramatic last second own goal winner. Jumped five rows forward. Amazing atmosphere.

And in 9 days we'll meet them again in the league. Also got tickets for that match.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Re:

l.Harm said:
Feyenoord defeated Ajax yesterday in the Dutch Cup. 3rd round match, I visited it. Terrible first half and a dramatic last second own goal winner. Jumped five rows forward. Amazing atmosphere.

And in 9 days we'll meet them again in the league. Also got tickets for that match.

Your team was an absolute disgrace, especially in the second half - niggly, dirty bloodsuckers. There was a blatant foul directly in front of the goal when that last ball came in, which the ref didn't see, or simply refused to give. That foul produced the own goal. Any credit that your team built for itself in recent years disappeared last night, and their 'performance' has only rekindled the traditional hate. Only one team 'deserved' to win last night, and it wasn't your blatant cheaters.

Hahaha sore losers. Makes the win even nicer :)

Ok to answer to the content:

I like derbies because they offer something else than regular matches. First half Ajax was the better side, Feyenoord was absolutely awful. Second half Feyenoord played with more aggression, which should be there in a match like this.

In my opinion it wasn't even a foul. Both players hold each other before the ball arrives. Would be ridiculous to give a free kick there.

Besides, you're overreacting. Feyenoord players didn't make terrible fouls and didn't injure players or something. I've seen worse, far worse.

And the cheaters part, why did you need that? It was a pretty fair game, with the first half Ajax dominating and the second half Feyenoord the better side with the best chances. I enjoyed the match and I can see it was a big disappointment to the Ajax fans with the last second winner, but to just scream the other side are a bunch of cheaters and everything isn't fair, I think you could do better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5qGUBks09s

Verheijen is criticizing everyone. He has a point though, Arsenal suffers more than other clubs from muscular injuries. Like United had under Moyes.

He's an arrogant ***, yes. But it doesn't mean he's wrong. All his opinions are based on facts. Muscular injuries are the result of training methods.

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Re:

l.Harm said:
Verheijen is criticizing everyone. He has a point though, Arsenal suffers more than other clubs from muscular injuries. Like United had under Moyes.

He's an arrogant ***, yes. But it doesn't mean he's wrong. All his opinions are based on facts. Muscular injuries are the result of training methods.

But he talks about it as though he has extensive medical knowledge, which he doesn't.

Arsenal aren't the only club he has talked about, Spurs and United as well. It's quite easy to just sit there and criticize injury and injury. This topic is the only time you really hear Verheijen in the media. Any old fool can do what he does.

It's probably the biggest red herring of an issue with Arsenal, to criticize people like Gary O'Driscoll, who came from a respected background as doctor of the Irish Rugby team.

Last year, Verheijen was at it with Dortmund over their injuries and Klopp's pressing game with the physical demands. This when in the previous years under Klopp with the same style, they had little injury problems. Any slight problem and that guy is on the case.

Total agenda.

He explains this as follows:

You can see from the outside things are wrong if players at a certain club pick up injuries above average, especially muscular injuries, since those are a result of training method. To know what exactly is going wrong at those clubs, you need to be there every day. He's not saying what is going wrong, only the simple fact that it's wrong.

He has studied in university Human Movement sciences, about the physiology of the human body.

TRENDING THREADS