• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Real Football Thread

Page 136 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Leicester's title will in all likelyhood be a one-off, but what follows is more likely a slow descend rather than a sharp drop for them. As a very early prediction I think the Prem will be between City, Liverpool and Spurs next year. Its by and large based on the quality of managers they will have as the squads will change significantly (for City and Liverpool at least) between now and august.

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Re: Re:

Archibald said:
gooner said:
Leicester are the exception and won't be of the norm. The same as what Montpellier achieved in 2012. Before this season no team below the 4th highest wage spend has won the Premiership.

The lads at Soccernomics and their studies over time have shown league finishes correlate with wage spend.
entire season is a bit out of whack then... although I'd wager that 'normal business' will resume next season

2015/16 wage spend (league pos*):
1 Chelsea - 215m (9th)
2 ManU - 203m (5th)
3 Citeh - 193m (4th)
4 Arsenal - 192m (3rd)
5 Liverpool - 152m (8th)
6 Tottenham - 110m (2nd)
7 Newcastle - 75m (18th)
8 Everton - 74m (12th)
9 Stoke - 72m (10th)
10 Sunderland - 71m (17th)
11 WHam -69m (7th)
12 Villa - 65m (20th)
14 Southampton - 59m (6th)
17 Leicester - 48m (1st)

* as at today (9/5) prior to spammer/manc game

Yes, that's the way I see it. As was said above, with the quality of managers that will be around next season, I don't think there will be any messing about and the status quo that was there before this season will return more to the norm next year.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
West Ham fans will today say an emotional farewell to their beloved Boleyn Ground as the Hammers play their last ever match at Upton Park against Manchester United.

Built in 1904 the stadium has witnessed many memorable and historic moments during its 112 year tenure.

Joint Chairman David Sullivan told WHUFC.com: “I think there will be more tears spilt in one place and in any place in the United Kingdom since Highbury shut.

“There will be more men crying tomorrow night than you’ll see anywhere in the UK.”

We take a look at this iconic ground through the years and some of the fond memories it holds for its players and fans. HR

5731b51f130000290038119f.jpeg

Loads of brilliant old photos here.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/farewell-boleyn-upton-park-west-ham_uk_5731b18be4b0e6da49a6cdd6?edition=uk

So happy West Ham won, it was amazing what it meant to the fans, players and Bilič. So sad to see them go to the Olympic Stadium; after 112 years of history they have to move stadium in a decision based on income instead of heritage, as so many things are these days.

Boleyn Park out

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Thanks guys. Tonight was so special. My first visit to the Boleyn was in 1967. Moore, Hurst and Peters played. The other Amsterhammers and I all met up at our usual bar, who let us watch the entire post-match farewell show, whereas they normally put music on right after games. I have a film to upload. A night I will never forget, nor will my eyes.....

Amster me old mucker, it was marvelous at the Boleyn last night, sad but what an atmosphere. Nice that a hammer got the last goal there.
I just beat you as I have going there since 1960.

Utd fans have been calling for their coach to be sacked all season , well now it has been.

can now look forward to the Juve game at the OS

oh and drop n the other place to say hello

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Re:

Archieboy said:
Amster me old mucker, it was marvelous at the Boleyn last night, sad but what an atmosphere. Nice that a hammer got the last goal there.
I just beat you as I have going there since 1960.

Utd fans have been calling for their coach to be sacked all season , well now it has been.

can now look forward to the Juve game at the OS

oh and drop n the other place to say hello

Thrilled for you that you were there! We stayed in the bar till the end of the Sky transmission, they showed all the post-game celebrations. Got drunk, had to take cab home...but hey, a night none of us will ever forget seeing those old faces again.

h8gkyhk

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
BullsFan22 said:
Amsterhammer, how do you feel about West Ham moving to the Olympic Stadium? I've heard a lot of chatter about the club losing some of its identity and sense of community by leaving Upton Park for an Olympic stadium that's almost twice Boleyn.

Most people who feel strongly about the move are old farts, like me. Younger generations accept the commercial logic more readily. However, if there had been an option to somehow convert the old ground into something approaching a modern, 21st century stadium, everyone would have preferred that. Upton Park is smack in the middle of housing and small businesses, not the preferred location for modern stadiums. Tempus fugit, things change.

Feb 6, 2016
Visit site
Re: Re:

gooner said:
Archibald said:
gooner said:
Looks like Martinez will be gone. De Boer is heavily linked. Good appointment if it happens.
Gone now.
Beeb (or Mills, to be more accurate) suggesting Benitez would be the best fit...

The papers say they want Koeman.

I'd be amazed if he leaves Southampton; he was linked to some considerably bigger clubs at the end of last season, and Southampton right now is simply a better job with a better team (as well as backing from the board with regard to keeping players that I doubt he'd get at Everton). I mean, David Moyes is out of a job...

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
I can't tell you how delighted Ajax fans were when Frank finally announced his departure. His five and a half years brought four titles, but increasingly, consistently, awful, boring football. Ajax can lose on merit, but fans were spoiled in the past and demand to see decent football. The massive final day fail was only the last drop in the bucket. Ideally, Overmars and v.d.Sar should fark off as well.

Luisito scores another hat trick, ends the season on 40 goals and 17 assists. He is, of course, 'pichichi', and must be nailed on for the Golden Boot and Golden Ball.

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
60 goals for Suarez which only 5 were pens.

Takes some player to break the hold of Ronaldo and Messi on the Pichichi.

If Barca beat Sevilla in the Cup, Luis Enrique will have won more than Pep when comparing what they did in their first two seasons as manager.

Re:

gooner said:
60 goals for Suarez which only 5 were pens.

Takes some player to break the hold of Ronaldo and Messi on the Pichichi.

If Barca beat Sevilla in the Cup, Luis Enrique will have won more than Pep when comparing what they did in their first two seasons as manager

Amazing achievement whichever way to look at it, but also a prime example of how little can one say about the impact of different managers when only comparing the silverware won.

Suarez' issues with self control on the pitch have often overshadowed his brilliance as a footballer. He is probably the best pure striker since the original Ronaldo.

Gonzalo Higuain scored a hattrick last night, scoring his third goal with a bicycle kick. That put his goal tally on 36 for the Serie A season.

That is the best goalscoring season ever in the history of Serie A, equaling the record of Gino Rosetti from the 1928-29 season. Most prolific goalscorer since Nordahl's 35 goals in the 1949-50 season.

Suarez is still better this season though. Higuain didn't do much in other competitions than the league, though he was often brought on as a sub in the cup and the EL instead of starting (which makes Sarri look stupid). 60+ goals speaks for itself.