• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Real Football Thread

Page 102 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Finished the Keane book yesterday. It's a brilliant read and Roddy Doyle did a excellent job at getting underneath his character and what makes him tick. Keane gives a great insight into the demands of managing in the modern game and how he adapted to it coming off his playing days. Lots of sports autobiographies these days I find come across as bland but this is far from that.

I say this as someone who hasn't agreed with everything he has said and done but I would still highly recommend it. I do admire his willingness to speak his mind like saying at the book launch in Dublin that the media are scared of Ferguson and that he has other managers wrapped around his finger. Plus calling Mourinho's behaviour a disgrace in the way he shakes hands with the opposition manager and coaching staff prior to the game ending. Must say I loved Keane's reaction on the Villa bench a few weeks back when Mourinho tried with him and Lambert. Both these comments are bang on the money for me and he's one of the only few if any at all that is willing to call it as he sees it in these cases.

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
del1962 said:
Shock result from Iceland last night:eek:

I was watching the Wales game but that was still a shock.

Looking forward to our game tonight against Germany. They're missing a fair few but Coleman and McCarthy are huge losses for us. I think O'Neill will be very cautious tonight with his selection. If there is ever a time to catch Germany out, tonight is it. No reason why we can't give a good account of ourselves looking at what Scotland and Poland did to them.

1-1, Finland against Greece last saturday and with better finishing it could have turn to a victory. Well, I'm at least happy that we could pull back from 0-1, cause it's not easy to score against Greece when they're winning, even though their team has weakened a bit in few years.

Today I'am hoping to see some sexysamba and we'll score a solid 2-0 victory against Romania :D :cool:

Roman Eremenko to score both!

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
My team (Scotland) has discovered after two games that our group is every bit as difficult as Strachan first thought when it was drawn, it is for me the toughest group out of all the qualifiers, Poland, Republic of Ireland, the World Champions and ourselves, four teams all with good squads.

We need to take a point in Poland tonight to have any chance i would say, as it isn't likely we will defeat the Germans at Hampden. Not overly confident.

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Germany looked very nervy in the last 10 minutes. I didn't think we passed the ball well for long periods but Hoolahan and Gibson coming on changed things. Both should have started. For Scotland away McCarthy and Coleman will be back and they are big plusses heading into that. Whelan's role should be minimised frome here on. He's anonymous for the most parts in these games.

I thought O'Shea and Wilson were very good at the back. Still a lot to play for in this group. The retirements and injury crisis have affected Germany hugely. No doubt we'll see a different side and performances in the return fixtures when they play Ireland, Scotland and Poland.

Reus, Schweinsteiger, Howedes, Schurrle, Ozil, Gomez, Kramer, Bender, Khedira, Schmelzer all missing. Perfect time to play them.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Just in - FIFA will not publish the investigation into the bidding procedure for the 2018 and 2022 WC's, claiming that it is "legally impossible" for them to do so. Words fail for this abject septic tank of utter corruption.:mad:

Sepp-Blatter-007.jpg

And the comedy continues.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
gooner said:
Germany looked very nervy in the last 10 minutes. I didn't think we passed the ball well for long periods but Hoolahan and Gibson coming on changed things. Both should have started. For Scotland away McCarthy and Coleman will be back and they are big plusses heading into that. Whelan's role should be minimised frome here on. He's anonymous for the most parts in these games.

I thought O'Shea and Wilson were very good at the back. Still a lot to play for in this group. The retirements and injury crisis have affected Germany hugely. No doubt we'll see a different side and performances in the return fixtures when they play Ireland, Scotland and Poland.

Reus, Schweinsteiger, Howedes, Schurrle, Ozil, Gomez, Kramer, Bender, Khedira, Schmelzer all missing. Perfect time to play them.
I don't think those bolded names are Germany's principal Leistungstraeger. They would normally be benchsitters anyway (although a team like Holland would be glad to have them, admittedly).
The most important guy missing is probably Lahm.

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
sniper said:
I don't think those bolded names are Germany's principal Leintungstraeger. They would normally be benchsitters anyway (although a team like Holland would be glad to have them, admittedly).
The most important guy missing is probably Lahm.

Ginter played midfield when he is predominantly a centre back(a good one at that) like he was at Freiberg last season. Kramer and Bender are better options in there. Rudy who came on is of lesser quality to them. I would take a fully fit Gomez over Kruse who came on as a sub. Schmelzer is a more recognised left back than Durm. Durm is good going forward but suspect defensive as he was against Poland a few days previously. Durm used to play further up the pitch as an attacker but has benefited from Dortmund's injury problems in the last year, particularly in defence.

It's all in the context of what they had available that night than saying that they are on the fringes of being established in the best eleven.

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
El Classico today.

I'm going 2-1 to Madrid.

An absolute downer we can't see the first 15 minutes due to the UK blackout rule with football on tv.

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
I'll say it. I'm actuallly enjoying watching an Allardyce team play this season.

Weat Ham had their recruitment spot on in the summer.

Song was superb.

TRENDING THREADS