• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Real Football Thread

Page 129 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Report - ' 7 out of 10 football fans have no faith in FIFA'

God knows what the other three were thinking.

Gooner - your lads obviously couldn't keep up that kind of pressure in the second half. Didn't do yourselves justice when your were bossing it. I lost count how many of your final balls were either too slow, behind the man, or misplaced entirely. That's what killed you, should have scored a couple out of the first half pressure. Professional yellow by Pique.

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Re:

Amsterhammer said:
Report - ' 7 out of 10 football fans have no faith in FIFA'

God knows what the other three were thinking.

Gooner - your lads obviously couldn't keep up that kind of pressure in the second half. Didn't do yourselves justice when your were bossing it. I lost count how many of your final balls were either too slow, behind the man, or misplaced entirely. That's what killed you, should have scored a couple out of the first half pressure. Professional yellow by Pique.

Yes, have to take those chances at this level. I was very happy with the first half and Ramsey did reasonably well barring one mistake in that period. Then the second half came and Ramsey was back to those sloppy passes, leaving gaps in the midfield and left Coquelin to do too much defensively in the midfield. I blame Mertesacker more than Flamini for the penalty, but how on earth we are still using Flamini for the third season in a row when he was bought as stop gap is beyond me. As you say, we were snatching at things. Very frustrating.

That's the benchmark and we are a million miles off from challenging in this competition.

I must say Monreal has been our most consistent performer in the last year or so since he has taken Gibbs' place in the team. A plus side is getting Welbeck back, I thought he did well when he came on and he could take Giroud's place shortly, considering he is in bad form and was again poor at times tonight.

All concentration of the league from now on. United and Spurs away will tell a lot. Our season could be over if we come out of them in bad shape.

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Re:

sniper said:
Appreciate the updates, gooner, though I must admit, persoanlly, I can't be bothered too much by the FIFA candidacy issues.
The whole structure of FIFA and other sporting bodies invites corruption and so I expect nothing less, regardless of the name of the future president.
Or have you seen any signs/reasons for optimism? (honest question)

No, as the fans rightly say in the poll Amster referenced.

I haven't read it yet(it happened during the game tonight) but I heard Damien Collins used parliamentary privilege in the Commons to ask questions of Sheikh Salman's candidacy.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
cheers, interesting.

put Mertesacker against MSN and you're always gonna get in trouble.
still, if ar$enal go 1-0 up, it's a different game.

against any club other than Bayern and Barca, Ar$enal would've had a decent chance.
It's a pity they cross swords so early on in the knockout, and I feel Ar$enal has been particularly unlucky in the knock-out draw in the recent 5 to 10 years or so.

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Re:

sniper said:
cheers, interesting.

put Mertesacker against MSN and you're always gonna get in trouble.
still, if ar$enal go 1-0 up, it's a different game.

against any club other than Bayern and Barca, Ar$enal would've had a decent chance.
It's a pity they cross swords so early on in the knockout, and I feel Ar$enal has been particularly unlucky in the knock-out draw in the recent 5 to 10 years or so.

Yeah, it's just very frustrating at this stage. I'm beginning to think have Arsenal reached a ceiling as a club. There's £180m in cash reserves and Wenger just doesn't have it in his make-up to push on and use it. Kroenke is delighted with the status quo continuing.

Cb-HBbfXIAABnDc.jpg:large

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
More against Sheikh Salman.

FIFA presidential favourite Sheik Salman of Bahrain arranged for the ‘gift’ of a national football coach to be given to the Pakistan FA (PFF) in March 2013, a month before a crucial election, Sportsmail can reveal.

The PFF subsequently voted in April 2013 for Sheik Salman to become the president of the Asian confederation (the AFC) though his representatives categorically denied that the coach was provided to secure support for his campaign.

The coach in question, a Bahraini called Mohammed Al Shamlan, began work as Pakistan’s international manager that summer.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-3464866/FIFA-hopeful-Sheik-Salman-gifted-coach-Pakistan-FA-month-voted-Asian-confederation-chief.html

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Re: Re:

Amsterhammer said:
gooner said:
First round.

Salman 85, Infantino 88, Prince Ali 27, Champagne 7.

We're forked, whatever happens. :rolleyes:

Amen.

I read on twitter Iraq are switching to Salman in the second round of voting. Even with Infantino, he's a puppet of Platini.

At least the reforms got passed.

Re:

Pricey_sky said:
Terrible day in the title race for Ars.enal Losing to Man United youth team and Spurs coming from a goal down to win 2-1. Next Saturday's North London derby is huge. A defeat for the gunners there and it's all over.

I'm hoping for an Arsenal win, so if Leicester win they have a 5 point advantage at the top :D

Go foxes!

Edit: I wrote Arsenal and it censored it.
Edit #2: gunners. Is that ok? Seriously. Get it together. Not everything containing the letters A, R, S and E is vulgar, no matter how much you hate Arsenal, sorry the gunners.

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
This has got interesting.

Gabriele Marcotti ‏@Marcotti 2h2 hours ago
Wow. Alleged identity, home address, etc. of guy behind Football Leaks has been revealed. Not going to post link, but it's out there

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Incredibly, unbelievably, we are in with a serious shot at finishing 4th! We were 2-0 down to 10 men when the ref gave them a penalty for a foul just outside - poorly taken by Lukaku, Adrian saved, and the game turned from that moment. We scored the first in the 78th min., the equalizer three mins later, and Payet's winner on 90 mins. One of the most unlikely comebacks I have ever seen.

"We've got Payet" was still being sung by the traveling faithful long after the final whistle! He was voted 'London Player of the Year', which is no surprise at all.

12794569_10207290679018205_2445989010810248909_n.jpg

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
I could only see an hour of the West Ham game. I couldn't believe the score when I came home. Martinez will be livid with Mirallas.

And so too will Wenger with Coquelin. I think we would have won that game. That gave them a lot of impetus and the crowd sensed it as well. At that point in the game, I thought we weren't in much bother. Credit to the players for coming back when down to 10 men. They could have even won it as well with Ramsey at the end.

I think the damage has been done with the Swansea and United defeats. We would have to go on a good sequence of results all the way to the end from now on with little room for any slip ups and I don't see that in this team.

In fairness, I thought Welbeck did well today. Contrast his general play and link up, compared to Walcott. Chalk and cheese. And a mention too for Elneny who also did well. We were much better balanced with him in the middle with Ramsey further forward on the right.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Re: down

ebandit said:
ebandit said:
....crushed! chelsea 5 toon 0 going down........going down......................

Mark L
bad becomes worse......going down....get the mac clown....out ..Mark L

My sympathy, Mark. McLaren is a waste of oxygen, get rid pronto, find a decent manager, come straight back up.

Re: down

Amsterhammer said:
ebandit said:
ebandit said:
....crushed! chelsea 5 toon 0 going down........going down......................

Mark L
bad becomes worse......going down....get the mac clown....out ..Mark L

My sympathy, Mark. McLaren is a waste of oxygen, get rid pronto, find a decent manager, come straight back up.
rumour is Moyes is being courted as the replacement
mourhino's free, and likely not going to utd if the other rumour about giggs replacing lvg has anything behind it

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
I don't like Bayern's midfield with Xabi and Vidal.
Why get rid off Schweini and keep/buy these two who are similar to, yet certainly not better than, Schweini?

I'm also worried about Vidal's mentality. You see his desire to be the leader on the pitch. But he's the first to complain and throw his hands in the air whenever somebody makes a wrong decision or plays a wrong pass. Very negative coaching.
Just not really my type.

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
The guy behind Football Leaks is a hacker from Portugal and has been named.

Who has not asked themselves the following question in recent months: Who is behind Football Leaks? Football Leaks is a popular website which publicises private documents related to some of the world's biggest football clubs. Transfers, deals, wages... Very few teams have prevented Football Leaks from going public with their documents, but now, according to Football Leaks Revealed, the man behind the website has a name.

That name is Rui Pinto, a 27-year-old Portuguese Budapest resident with a criminal past, and present it would seem, as a hacker. Rui Pinto has used a string of hacking techniques to gather information and leak details related to players' contracts at a number of teams. On top of that, he has received plenty of help from, amongst other people, his lawyer Aníbal Pinto, with whom he used to communicate with using Tor, in order to avoid detection.

The lawyer contacted several Portuguese clubs demanding money in exchange for not going public with the documents. In doing so, Rui and Aníbal allegedly extorted and blackmailed a string of clubs. When these did not pay up, they posted the documents on Football Leaks. Even though the website advocates transparency in football and advertises itself as a place where any fan can access documents relating to their team, there were clearly financial motives behind its creation.

http://www.marca.com/en/football/international-football/2016/03/07/56ddf93122601dd6758b45d5.html

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Merckx index said:
An LC fan who put 20 pounds down on the 5000:1 odds at the beginning of the season decided he couldn't stand the suspense any more. He cashed out early, getting 29,000 pounds. If he had stayed in, and the Foxes went all the way, he would have made 100,000, but a 1450-fold return on his money ain't bad.

http://www.espnfc.com/blog/the-toe-poke/65/post/2822000/leicester-fan-who-stood-to-make-100k-cashes-in-29k

Another guy has cashed out for £72,000 on Saturday. Had he waited a few hours and cashed out later that day after they beat Watford, he would have won £91,000.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-coventry-warwickshire-35747633?ns_mchannel=social&ns_campaign=bbc_sport&ns_source=facebook&ns_linkname=sport

gooner said:
The guy behind Football Leaks is a hacker from Portugal and has been named.

Who has not asked themselves the following question in recent months: Who is behind Football Leaks? Football Leaks is a popular website which publicises private documents related to some of the world's biggest football clubs. Transfers, deals, wages... Very few teams have prevented Football Leaks from going public with their documents, but now, according to Football Leaks Revealed, the man behind the website has a name.

That name is Rui Pinto, a 27-year-old Portuguese Budapest resident with a criminal past, and present it would seem, as a hacker. Rui Pinto has used a string of hacking techniques to gather information and leak details related to players' contracts at a number of teams. On top of that, he has received plenty of help from, amongst other people, his lawyer Aníbal Pinto, with whom he used to communicate with using Tor, in order to avoid detection.

The lawyer contacted several Portuguese clubs demanding money in exchange for not going public with the documents. In doing so, Rui and Aníbal allegedly extorted and blackmailed a string of clubs. When these did not pay up, they posted the documents on Football Leaks. Even though the website advocates transparency in football and advertises itself as a place where any fan can access documents relating to their team, there were clearly financial motives behind its creation.

http://www.marca.com/en/football/international-football/2016/03/07/56ddf93122601dd6758b45d5.html

Not surprising given the amount of focus FL has given the Portuguese league and scene.

Not an Assange, then, it seems.

TRENDING THREADS