• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Real Football Thread

Page 40 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Hang on, I have sopcast. What do I do there to watch the stream on sopcast?

get sopcast open, then click on the url button of one of the streams that is sopcast(the setanta one for example, it says if it is sopcast or flash) then copy and paste the link that comes up and put it in sopcast and press go

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
Parrulo said:
playing so defensively against benfica was obviously not going to work

ofc you guys can luck yourself out and score, wouldn't e the first time :eek:

Well, after a 3-2 first game, they definitely, should have gone more offensive, hoping for another offensive shoot-out. Did they really think they could hold Benfica scoreless?
The problem with that, however, is that without Danny Zenit's offense looks pretty toothless, definitely lacking creativeness.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
ooo wenger is refusing to shake hands with the 4th official.. I thought the ref was alright, didnt seem to make many bad decisions, gave a free kick easier than some refs but he was consistent, the only bad thing I remember was him giving arsenal a goal kick when it should have been a milan corner..

Interesting game

Fetisoff said:
Well, after a 3-2 first game, they definitely, should have gone more offensive, hoping for another offensive shoot-out. Did they really think they could hold Benfica scoreless?
The problem with that, however, is that without Danny Zenit's offense looks pretty toothless, definitely lacking creativeness.

well 2-0. . . .

danny injury is indeed a shame for zenit but the win on the first game was a lot due to the weather and pitch conditions which weren't the best.

the nelson oliveira/rodrigo double will be awesome in a couple of seasons

gooner said:
I know you wont like hearing it but i think Benfica will have problems holding on to their top players in the future. I seen Oliveira play for Portugal last week against Poland and i know Rodrigo well from his time at Bolton and watching him for the Spanish youth team last summer. Felipe Vieira said yee have to make 50m euros in the transfer market in the summer. Gaitan will end up at one of the Manchester clubs more likely United. Javi Garcia has been linked with Arsenal and United constantly. I was reading last month that Jorge Jesus has already been told by Vieira that Gaitan will definitely be sold in the summer.

you are not telling me anything new. what you don't know is that benfica is being robbed in terms of TV rights, the direction that negotiated the current contract (the one that almost bankrupted the club) sold the tv rights for some lousy 8mil € per year which is pathetic. that contract however ends at the end of this season(after more then 10 years!!!!!!) and rumours say benfica may get a contract up to 60 mil per year which will end the need for said 50 mil per summer. besides Benfica's long term plan is establishing a competitive team both in internal and continental competitions which is something they imo are achieving and then slowly trying to turn that competitive team into a more portuguese based team. guys like nelson oliveira , miguel victor , roderick miranda , mika , luis martins , david simão are all guys that the direction wants to keep in the long term and they will surely use the money to keep them for a long time, as will they try with rodrigo i think. gaitan leaving is nothing i am scared of to be honest, benfica will find a more then suitable replacement as they did when they hired di maria to cover for simão leaving and then with gaitan when di maria left.

only weak spots on the team is a lack of a second number 10 player as aimar isn't getting any younger, but i have faith that jesus may start taking his chances with david simão next season and a better left defender as emerson is just a pathetic excuse of a player and by far the weakest link of the team.

gooner said:
I know all the Benfica players well and i would agree that they can replace Gaitan and others as they have a very good scouting system. Nolito is a good player and he was highly rated at Barcelona. They pick up Rodrigo and i am sure they can pick up more.

You mentioned Emerson and i never really rated him either. I remember watching him for Lille a couple of seasons ago in the Europa League against Liverpool and he was terrible. Why cant yee play Capdevilla? He could do a job short term until yee get someone in.

Do you think Gaitan would be a success in England? To me he is a good player but in my opinion i dont think he is worth the 38m euros that his buyout clause is. If i was a Benfica fan i would be delighted if i got anything near that money.

apparently capdevilla thought that because he played for the spanish national team he would need to work for his place in the initial 11 which jesus didn't like to the point of completely ignoring him, jesus himself said a few weeks ago that to play you must show work and dedication during the week and pretty much said capdevilla wasn't showing either of those.

to be honest i don't know about gaintan, he isn't very consistent and i would be indeed very happy if we got 38 mil for him. imo javi garcia is a much more important player to the club