• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Real Football Thread

Page 50 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
goggalor said:
BMC, Sky, Katusha and Astana don't win races, Cadel Evans, Cavendish, Rodriguez and Gasparotto do.

So what?! Of course the sports differ from each other. But money still has got a bigger influence in cycling - just as in football. Leopard got second in WorldTour Rankings last year because of a sugardaddy.

Btw, Christiano Ronaldo wins matches as well. He needs help to do it though - just like Evans, Cavendish, Jrod and Gasparotto do.

Sorry to tell you but that's how it is, will be and probably always has been.

provisional 32-man #Italy squad for the Euros. No room for Matri or Pazzini.Di Natale, Diamanti, Destro, Borini, Giaccherini, Schelotto + Verratti on Prandelli's provisional 32-man list

edit:-
Questo l’elenco completo dei Calciatori convocati:
Portieri: Buffon (Juventus), De Sanctis (Napoli), Sirigu (Paris St. Germain), Viviano
(Palermo);
Difensori: Abate (Milan), Astori (Cagliari), Balzaretti (Palermo), Barzagli (Juventus),
Bocchetti (Rubin Kazan), Bonucci (Juventus), Chiellini (Juventus), Criscito (Zenit
San Pietroburgo), Maggio (Napoli), Ogbonna (Torino), Ranocchia (Inter);
Centrocampisti: Cigarini (Atalanta), De Rossi (Roma), Diamanti (Bologna),
Giaccherini (Juventus), Marchisio (Juventus), Montolivo (Fiorentina), Thiago Motta
(Paris St. Germain), Nocerino (Milan), Pirlo (Juventus),Schelotto (Atalanta), Verratti
(Pescara);
Attaccanti: Balotelli (Manchester City), Borini (Roma), Cassano (Milan), Destro
(Siena), Di Natale (Udinese), Giovinco (Parma)

Oct 16, 2009
Visit site
DominicDecoco said:
So what?! Of course the sports differ from each other. But money still has got a bigger influence in cycling - just as in football. Leopard got second in WorldTour Rankings last year because of a sugardaddy.

Btw, Christiano Ronaldo wins matches as well. He needs help to do it though - just like Evans, Cavendish, Jrod and Gasparotto do.

Sorry to tell you but that's how it is, will be and probably always has been.
It's just a personal thing. I just can't get excited about a sport where it's impossible to contend for anything unless you're filthy rich. The same teams win over and over and get richer and richer. Once in a while a new Arab sheik or Russian oligarch decides he wants in, and an arbitrary team is chosen and gets to join the elite. It just bores me, and when players are bought for 100 million euros, it is to laugh.

I used to be really into football, but got bored a few years ago. I still get excited about International tournaments, but that's about it, though with matches like today's I understand why others still find it worth following.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
DominicDecoco said:
Is correct. And they won't win next week. That's for sure.

Is not correct. They have already qualified for EL football because they won the FA Cup. Of course, they would rather play CL.

What an incredible climax to the PL season this afternoon. You could not have made this up. Congrats to the loyal Citeh fans who have waited 34 years for this.

Amsterhammer said:
Is not correct. They have already qualified for EL football because they won the FA Cup. Of course, they would rather play CL.

What an incredible climax to the PL season this afternoon. You could not have made this up. Congrats to the loyal Citeh fans who have waited 34 years for this.

Argh, of course. Somehow I read 'playing international' as playing CL and I kind of think that that's what he meant too. I think they'd rather stay home than playing Europa League - at least in the first group phase. Those Eastern Europe-trips are pretty hard on the players when they have to be ready 3-4 days later playing Premier League matches.

Amsterhammer said:

Yep,it was like a hollywood film in the end, thought citeh had blown it. I was at my local haunt with citeh fans and there were some manure fans too, so the place was loud. As a liverpool fan it was great to see.

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
Has to be the best finish to a league ever. I hate City, since I was a United fan when I was a kid, and I can't stand the way football is turning into a rich man's **** measuring contest. Even so, I feel glad just to have seen that. Can anyone think of a major league title anywhere that's had such a finish? About 10 friends and I took over the common room with 1 game on TV, and all the others on live feeds on laptops. It was like the Soccer Saturday studio, amazing afternoon.

gooner said:
That was epic.

Arsenal won the league in `89 when they played Liverpool and they had to win by 2 goals and they won 2-0 at Anfield to win it with a last minute goal by Mickey Thomas. But I think yesterday even tops that. I was in the pub for it yesterday and it was full of Man Utd and City fans and what an atmosphere it was.

Yeah, that was the best one cos they won the league by 1 goal on goal difference.

gooner said:
That was epic.

Arsenal won the league in `89 when they played Liverpool and they had to win by 2 goals and they won 2-0 at Anfield to win it with a last minute goal by Mickey Thomas. But I think yesterday even tops that. I was in the pub for it yesterday and it was full of Man Utd and City fans and what an atmosphere it was.

The sight or story of the original Macca(steve mcmahon) encouraging/shouting at the others are still told to these days.

That's rather unfortunate... What's he thinking?..

article-2144361-1316EE7A000005DC-574_634x359.jpg

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Ajax asking 15m for Verthongen, Spurs have offered 12m. I thought that the original interest from London was from the Gooners and am surprised that they're now willing to let him go to Spurs, rather than recreating his partnership with Vermaelen.

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
Haha, thanks for the actual Soccer Saturday vid - we didn't actually have that one on. After all, you watch it to get a round-up of all the games, why bother when you've got that already? Was hilarious.

I don't think Vermaelen quite has it in him. He's good, but he'll only ever be that.

What a joke to include Downing and Carroll, though I doubt they won't play much if at all. Really happy to see that the Ox made the team. Hope that Roy has the guts to use him as a substitute often.

This lot will get thrashed by France, though. Probably won't make it out of their group.

gooner said:
England squad in full:

Goalkeepers: Joe Hart, Rob Green, John Ruddy

Defenders: Leighton Baines, Gary Cahill, Ashley Cole, Glen Johnson, Phil Jones, Joleon Lescott, John Terry

Midfielders: Gareth Barry, Steven Gerrard, Frank Lampard, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, James Milner, Scott Parker, Theo Walcott, Ashley Young, Stewart Downing

Strikers: Andy Carroll, Jermaine Defoe, Wayne Rooney, Danny Welbeck

Stand-by list: Jack Butland, Phil Jagielka, Jordan Henderson, Adam Johnson, Daniel Sturridge

Surprised to see Downing in the squad. He had a poor season this year. It will be interesting to see what Hodgson says later about Rio Ferdinand`s exclusion.

That's not a team winning the Euros. Sorry to say. Such a mediocre midfield - at least based on this season.

Now this, on the other hand, is a winning team... :rolleyes:

Målmænd: Thomas Sørensen (Stoke), Stephan Andersen (Evian).

Forsvar: Andreas Bjelland (FC Nordsjælland), Daniel Agger (Liverpool), Daniel Wass (Evian), Lars Jacobsen (FC København), Simon Busk Poulsen (AZ Alkmaar), Simon Kjær (Wolfsburg),

Midtbane: Christian Poulsen (Evian), Christian Eriksen (Ajax Amsterdam), Jakob Poulsen (FC Midtjylland), Lasse Schøne (NEC Nijmegen), Michael Silberbauer (Young Boys), Niki Zimling (Club Brugge), Thomas Kahlenberg (Evian), William Kvist (Stuttgart),

Angreb: Dennis Rommedahl (Brøndby), Michael Krohn-Dehli (Brøndby), Nicklas Bendtner (Arsenal), Tobias Mikkelsen (FC Nordsjælland)

TRENDING THREADS