• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 998 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters
He was below 62kg in the '22 Vuelta, his peak was from CSS to WCC RR, nearly 2 full months (30th july - 25th of september). but now he can't weigh below 62.5 because it would have negative effects, and supposedly they tried that... He is referring to the '21 Giro when he weighed 60kg. And still they intend to blame the issues he had in that Giro on his weight, and not on his preparation. Amateur hour.

@shadowrider could you please show me some pictures where Vingegaard or Landa, who both crashed the same time and had worse injuries, look like they gained a lot of weight? Or does this medical reality you speak of, only apply to Evenepoel? I also don't know when or where i spoke of a severe diet. I didn't say he had to actually lose weight while off the bike, simply not put on as much as he usually does.

Last edited:
Nobody here knows neither his exact weight during vuelta 22 nor his current weight.
This discussion that's been going for pages now makes y'all look like fools to be honest.
We just know what he said in interviews. And most people here (I know there are some exceptions who lack the ability to do so) can see from images and video during the '22 Vuelta, that what he is weighing now, is not a small difference to then.

He was below 62kg in the '22 Vuelta, his peak was from CSS to WCC RR, nearly 2 full months (30th july - 25th of september). but now he can't weigh below 62.5 because it would have negative effects, and supposedly they tried that... He is referring to the '21 Giro when he weighed 60kg. And still they intend to blame the issues he had in that Giro on his weight, and not on his preparation. Amateur hour.

@shadowrider could you please show me some pictures where Vingegaard or Landa, who both crashed the same time and had worse injuries, look like they gained a lot of weight? Or does this medical reality you speak of, only apply to Evenepoel? I also don't know when or where i spoke of a severe diet. I didn't say he had to actually lose weight while off the bike, simply not put on as much as he usually does.
Vingegaard, Roglic, even Landa are differently built than Evenepoel, Van Aert etc. They have almost no weight issues. During the periods they are resting, recovering from a hard season or competition, or revalidating from a crash, they gain little weight. In contrast to Evenepoel, Van Aert etc. But that does not mean that Evenepoel, Van Aert et. have to strictly monitor their weight after bone fractures, surgery and during rehabilitation. They should normally recover like you and me in the same situation. With some attention to the use of fat and the use of carbohydrates. But you suggested otherwise. And yes, as a (retired) physiologist, I have knowledge of the subject matter.

Reactions: Volderke
Nobody here knows neither his exact weight during vuelta 22 nor his current weight.
This discussion that's been going for pages now makes y'all look like fools to be honest.
How much he weighs before, during the season and at the start of a GT, we do not know exactly and he and the team will never tell us. That's the way it is supposed to be. But we can see from his body and his face how sharp he is. It is important to know what physique and metabolism a rider has. If Vingegaard currently looked like Evenepoel, it would indicate that he is significantly overweight. There would be no point in being at the start of the Tour in less than three weeks. But for Evenepoel that only means that he still has to work (a bit) on his fitness and that he still has to lose some weight.

Vingegaard, Roglic, even Landa are differently built than Evenepoel, Van Aert etc. They have almost no weight issues. During the periods they are resting, recovering from a hard season or competition, or revalidating from a crash, they gain little weight. In contrast to Evenepoel, Van Aert etc. But that does not mean that Evenepoel, Van Aert et. have to strictly monitor their weight after bone fractures, surgery and during rehabilitation. They should normally recover like you and me in the same situation. With some attention to the use of fat and the use of carbohydrates. But you suggested otherwise. And yes, as a (retired) physiologist, I have knowledge of the subject matter.
Your claim, unless i'm remembering incorrectly, was that his body needed the extra weight to heal. This is a different matter than him putting on weight easily. My question is, why don't the injuries of Vingegaard and Landa etc, need extra weight to heal?

Your claim, unless i'm remembering incorrectly, was that his body needed the extra weight to heal. This is a different matter than him putting on weight easily. My question is, why don't the injuries of Vingegaard and Landa etc, need extra weight to heal?
It's all about not doing a strict diet when recovering from.....
There again, there's a difference between riders and the way they are built and the way their metabolism works. Lying in the hospital, recovering at home, doing the first efforts with a physiotherapist, the first riding, the first proper training, together with a healthy food and recovery-supplements will lead too a gain of weight of Evenepoel. Stabilizing when the training is built up. Before the weight starts to decrease again, we are weeks after the crash. At most two weeks before the start of the Dauphiné, which at Evenepoel approximately coincided with the altitude training. During the first days of the altitude training, Evenepoel was always the last of the team to arrive after a climb. Also after Landa, who, like Vingegaard, Roglic and others, suffers less from weight gain during forced rest and limited training.

But now we come back to the heart of the matter. It is not because Evenepoel gains more weight during forced rest and rehabilitation (than other riders) that he should follow a more pronounced diet. Because that is counterproductive, especially in the longer term. But his physique and metabolism are definitely a disadvantage compared to other riders. Certainly after accidents and forced rest periods and rehabilitation.

I couldn't have said it any better than shadowrider above.

Don't fat shame Remco into starvation. The boy needs his pizza to release his happy hormones so he is more eager to train hard. It's a delicate balance and there is no need to squeeze him in the same mould as those anorexic skeletors. Remco's natural physique is ball-shaped so he always bounces back.

ps: following up this topic VERY closely so I can witness 1000 pages and a gigantic forum crash.

We just know what he said in interviews. And most people here (I know there are some exceptions who lack the ability to do so) can see from images and video during the '22 Vuelta, that what he is weighing now, is not a small difference to then.
And he rode the Dauphine for training....won the TT which is his strength. I would expect he'll ride to the weight that will allow him to participate in any climbing stage to his best ability. I wouldn't sweat it beyond that.
He's a phenom but doesn't deserve the microscopic examination as a way to explain away why he isn't fulfilling fandreams of the moment. He is obviously still recovering .

Reactions: wheresmybrakes
Well Logic, where do you get that medical o_Obackground from?
When recovering from different fractures and surgery one never goes on a (strong) diet. Just the opposite. Of course one has to be carefull with fat and carbohydrates. But follow a normal healthy diet after fractures and surgery will naturally lead too weight gain. And the more Evenepoel with his bodybuilt. After his Lombardia-crash, the revalidation, the first riding, the proper training, he and his team had the silly idea of participating the Giro 21. Even without prior competition. Using "your system" of forced diet. We all know the result.
So, the problem of Evenepoel today is not a wrong diet. But the problem was and is a severe crash with two fractures. He will suffer the consequences during the Tour and perhaps the rest of the season. Meanwhile he is doing a good job. So that he will probably be able to start the Tour at 99%. Maybe show some nice things during the final week.
I understand what you are saying, but are you not contradicting yourself by saying Remco will suffer the consequences during the Tour, but then you say that Remco will or can be 99 percent ready for the Tour? I mean 99 percent is extremely good for any rider

But in fact he is a Indurain type of rider.
I think there is a rider who is currently active, highly successful as a GT rider, multiple GT winner in fact, who shares a similar stocky build, who is far more like Evenepoel in terms of physique than Indurain who was nearly the size of Van Aert. He is also a tempo climber and an elite TT'er. I've never seen him struggle with his weight.

I think there is a rider who is currently active, highly successful as a GT rider, multiple GT winner in fact, who shares a similar stocky build, who is far more like Evenepoel in terms of physique than Indurain who was nearly the size of Van Aert. He is also a tempo climber and an elite TT'er. I've never seen him struggle with his weight.
Who are you even referring to?

Oh Rogla. I was think Pogacar or Thomas, but that didnt make any sense to me.

It's very simplistic to say that every person with a similar build has the same challenges. The human body is a bit more complex than that.

Reactions: Sandisfan