• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 486 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters
He wins the Vuelta because there was no strong competition.

He wins the WC because the strong competition was stupid.

He wins LBL, san sebastian, vuelta and WC. But for some reason it is not because Remco is strong, but because the competition is weak. When Pogi won LBL everybody praised him. When Remco does it a year later it is because Pogi wasn't there. Newsflash. When Pogi won, evenepoel wasnt there either.

He wins LBL, san sebastian, vuelta and WC. But for some reason it is not because Remco is strong, but because the competition is weak. When Pogi won LBL everybody praised him. When Remco does it a year later it is because Pogi wasn't there. Newsflash. When Pogi won, evenepoel wasnt there either.
Find me one quote saying he wasn't strong during these races.

But now I do fully realise why Evenepoel is so controversial. I think many simply dislike him because there are many in his fanbase who rather get salty about imaginary slights rather celebrate a world title.

He is a monster.

30.7. San Sebastian - 25.9. WC RR

So he was holding this insane shape for full two months with riding a GT in between. Doubters will stay but remain silent when mighty Remco pace drops Pogacar and Jonas in TDF (probably in 2024).

Who can challenge Remco in the Giro next year with 3 ITT stages? 34y old Roglic who will loose 2 minutes just in ITTs? Lol, he would have better chance of winning TdF. Two GTs in the bag. I can smell it already.

Last edited:
who are these people who make those claims. There are maybe one or two here. And I agree, they are wrong.

but stating that Pog was not in good shape because of the Tdf is absolutely ridiculous. He was rested. Had trained specifically for the worlds. Did his best worlds TT. And had just won Montreal. The only reason to say that is to diminish Remco’s exploit yesterday.

and it’s more that no one ever says that type of stuff about other riders’ wins. Not a single Remco fan belittles Pog’s wins even at the freakin UAE tour where he may factually be the only rider peaking for that event. No one says “oh he only beat Adam Yates”, and “Yates was not in top shape” and “Yates wasn’t really trying” and “Vingo nor Rog were there”. This literally happens with every single one of Remco’s wins. And this time it’s also because not having radios apparently hurt everyone else but somehow helped Remco. Meanwhile he has done exactly this type of ride over and over no matter the situation or the opponents. It used to be that he could only do it if it wasn’t World Tour. And yet here we are, LBL, San Sebastián and the Worlds later, and STILL the diminishing of each win.

it’s just funny. Because the people doing it don’t even seem to realize that they are now doing a parody of themselves each time they come up with the same or new reasons.
Yeah, and so what? Is it obligatory to ask absolutely no questions regarding his quality? Most people in the forum probably mean that is the cyclist of the year. And I would think that almost everyone thinks that he is one of the top 3-4 riders even in seasons where everyone was in peak shape for the most important events they targeted. But that is not good enough. We must also think that is just about the greatest in cycling since at least Hinaut, that he is already able to ride a Pogacar in peak shape of his wheel in mountains or the toughest hilly classics. I really don't read or participate that much in the rider threads here, but the Remco fanboy worship seem to be at another level. And maybe that is also why someone dare to ask questions.

Last edited:
I'm just amazed that Remco was able to hold such a high level for 6+ weeks...or longer. It wasn't like he was using the Vuelta as "training" for the Worlds...he was actually having to go hard for 3 weeks.
I believe he basically got in top shape by LBL (as planned) and basically never dropped his level for 4 months. He actually got an astonishing success rate during that time. He won 4 out of 5 one day races he entered only losing the flat NC because of a bunch sprint. He won the 4 races with almost a minute or more. He also won the national ITT with ease and lost the WCC ITT by only 9 seconds (where he presumably lacked some preparation and mental freshness as he lost time in downhill corners). Of the 3 stage races he entered, he won 2 in a dominant fashion. He had issues in Switzerland but he suffered a heat stroke and he still managed to win the ITT after recovering.

Reactions: jmdirt and LucVdB
With the shape of spring, you win every race in fall. (Jean-Claude Leclercq)

Basically that.

Oh and he certainly had his Di Luca 2005 season moment.

Actually even more. He won Liege, the Vuelta a Espana and has become world champion after all.

I have to admit that!
Not too shabby for a classics rider.
Did he win any race against mvdp?

Yeah, and so what? Is it obligatory to ask absolutely no questions regarding his quality? Most people in the forum probably mean that is the cyclist of the year. And I would think that almost everyone thinks that he is one of the top 3-4 riders even in seasons where everyone was in peak shape for the most important events they targeted. But that is not good enough. We must also think that is just about the greatest in cycling since at least Hinaut, that he is already able to ride a Pogacar in peak shape of his wheel in mountains or the toughest hilly classics. I really don't read or participate that much in the rider threads here, but the Remco fanboy worship seem to be at another level. And maybe that is also why someone dare to ask questions.

so if for you, it’s not about the rider, but about your hate of the “fanboy worship”, why do waste your time reading their posts in the thread devoted to the rider.

I personally find nothing appealing about a few riders. I simply don’t post or read those threads.

you appear to come here just to rankle and be rankled by other posters. Not a very happy pastime.

Well, over the next seasons, we shall certainly find out if Remco beats peak Pog in those races. In the meantime, consider what Guilmard said of Evenepoel's talent before his Lombardia crash: he's better than Hinault.

• Wow
Reactions: Big Doopie
so if for you, it’s not about the rider, but about your hate of the “fanboy worship”, why do waste your time reading their posts in the thread devoted to the rider.

I personally find nothing appealing about a few riders. I simply don’t post or read those threads.

you appear to come here just to rankle and be rankled by other posters. Not a very happy pastime.
Why do you call every post that isn't unanimously positive for "hate", or all that question Remco for "haters"? There are some riders I don't like. Valverde and Matthews are a couple of them. Regarding Remco I'm pretty neutral. I certainly don't hate him or dislike him in any way. There are pretty many levels between hate and the fanboy level of some of the exhibit. We're in a debate forum. Not just a thread for solely praising the riders.

Reading between the lines, Lefevere still seems very keen to send him to Il Giro, rather than the Tour.

Of course he is strong. I would just like to see him ride against the best for once (not a critique of him, obviously).

Plus, I really am not a sucker for long solos.

Reading between the lines, Lefevere still seems very keen to send him to Il Giro, rather than the Tour.

That would be absurd.

But it isn't quite how I interpret what he says (at least if I understand the verb afgaan correctly).

TRENDING THREADS