• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Shlecks and doping

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 26, 2010
Visit site
Lanark said:
Break in where, the ambulance or the Sky car? ;)

I guess Sckleck is that desperate that he would do both.

But I think it is time to call it a day. He obviously never had the talent. It was PEDs that made Schleck a competitor and now for some reason he cant dope to the levels he was previously.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
ElChingon said:
Agh... the guy didn't take a picture :p
yeah there were

where was Stuey?

dirty_prince_harry.jpg

May 26, 2010
Visit site
I dont think Schlecks drunkeness is clinic material.

He has big problems, that much is obvious.

Whether his terrible performances are lack of doping or lack of training due to his head not being in the right place, he should retire to get himself sorted. More to life than racing.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
I dont think Schlecks drunkeness is clinic material.

He has big problems, that much is obvious.

Whether his terrible performances are lack of doping or lack of training due to his head not being in the right place, he should retire to get himself sorted. More to life than racing.
I dont think it is immaterial but...

jalabert and boonen coke parties,

not necessarily gateway PED 2 rec, but gateway personality types.

A type, pro athlet.

and I always wanted to snort a line off a model's mons

May 26, 2010
Visit site
blackcat said:
I dont think it is immaterial but...

jalabert and boonen coke parties,

not necessarily gateway PED 2 rec, but gateway personality types.

A type, pro athlet.

and I always wanted to snort a line off a model's mons

Not sure Jaja's and Boonen's coke habits were in conjunction with an inability to finish races.

Getting drunk alone implies something much more serious that a line or 10 at a party.

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
I don't think there is enough evidence to show a trend among riders from PED to recreational drugs. However, it seems undeniable (although someone will probably attempt to deny it right here) that the drug situation in cycling instills the riders with a different attitude--from non-participants in a drug filled sport--towards drugs in general.

There are some prominent examples of cyclists who were dopers first falling deeply into recreational drugs: Pantani (the most tragic example), Frank Vandenbroucke, JaJa and Boonen, Ullrich (perhaps, who knows what the truth was with the amphetamines positive), Justin Spinelli, and there were rumors about Jose Maria Jimenez (but his psychological issues make his case seem much more complicated than drug use). These more recent, and some very high profile cases, coupled with the rumors of past riders being unable to function without amphetamines like De Vlaeminck may show some correlation between PED and rec drug use in cyclists. But, until there is data available on a much larger scale it seems impossible to know for sure.

The different attitude towards drugs in general is highlighted in the multitude of statements from past pros like Anquetil and so many others.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
GreasyMonkey said:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/is-becca-losing-patience-with-andy-schleck

"We want our Andy back. We think he can benefit from working with someone in the effort to help him find his old self. This is important to all of us."

Dr Ferrari, p'haps.....:rolleyes:

Looks like Andy is still reading about Floyd's 2006 magnificent stage and wants to recreate it, again and again and again. Someone forgot to tell Andy he still needs to be in a race to apply that situation.

Andy likes the sauce, so expect more of these situations to occur, but its a sure sign of the end of Andy and his stomach of anger, ggrrrrrr....

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
Ferminal said:
Serious doping during the season requires serious partying in November.

Not to put too fine a point on this, but their departure from Bjarn 's nipple seems to coincide nicely with their arrival at mediocrity ......(being kind with that choice of word)