• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The worst of race profiles

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Tarnum said:
profil4_670.png

The Paris-Nice TT.
LOL. :D

I thought it was almost completely flat until I saw the details of the OP.

Re: Re:

bassano said:
Escarabajo said:
Tarnum said:
profil4_670.png

The Paris-Nice TT.
LOL. :D

I thought it was almost completely flat until I saw the details of the OP.

Yeah, but on the other side that profile have quite same scale on axis X as on axis Y so it looks like on real road :)
Well yeah, but we cannot compare length to altitude. 14.5 km in length is nothing compare to that in altitude! :)

Presumably a tunnel, of the kind that always skewed out traceurs' profiles until cronoescalada came along and incorporated a function to let you smooth them out.

Anyway! The best of the 2007 Vuelta profiles, with their inconsistent y-axes and making Cerler look like Aprica. Monachil there is way steeper than the descent and includes 7km @ 9% in the middle.

vuelta0719.gif

vuelta07st15-profile.gif

vuelta07st10-profile.gif

Also, these two are the same MTF, but the 2005 version made by somebody who understands course profiles is included for comparison.
vuelta07st09-profile.gif

vuelta0511.gif

42x16ss said:
tobydawq said:
Tour of Croatia, stage 2, profile of last 3 kilometres. What the hell?

With two kilometres to go there is a little kicker, where the riders apparently ascend 120 metres and descend it again within 100 metres...

Inexplicable... (and I still don't know how to insert pictures)

http://www.tourofcroatia.com/en/stages/stage-2-trogir-biokovo-sveti-jure/8
Here it is:

21fa2dc6e0700d9b49a6e02a94210282.jpg
im pay pal anyone 100 bucks who gets to that spike and pictures it in this forum !

Scarponi said:
42x16ss said:
tobydawq said:
Tour of Croatia, stage 2, profile of last 3 kilometres. What the hell?

With two kilometres to go there is a little kicker, where the riders apparently ascend 120 metres and descend it again within 100 metres...

Inexplicable... (and I still don't know how to insert pictures)

http://www.tourofcroatia.com/en/stages/stage-2-trogir-biokovo-sveti-jure/8
Here it is:

21fa2dc6e0700d9b49a6e02a94210282.jpg
im pay pal anyone 100 bucks who gets to that spike and pictures it in this forum !

11x50 gears...

You know, the fascinating thing about these profiles is that at some point there was someone who thought "making the profiles like this is a good idea". There must have been someone who thought "labeling the x axis completely randomly is better than labeling it conventionally". And there must be a guy who wanted to create profiles for the Vuelta a la Comunidad de Madrid who thought "people surely want that their eyes hurt when they look at their profiles"

Maybe this is only fascinating for me but the thing which makes profiles like that so unbelievable is that it would be easier to make a completely normal, decent looking profile than making this. Profiles like that don't exist because someone was lazy but because someone thought they would look good. And I'm not sure if that is funny or sad.

Gigs_98 said:
You know, the fascinating thing about these profiles is that at some point there was someone who thought "making the profiles like this is a good idea". There must have been someone who thought "labeling the x axis completely randomly is better than labeling it conventionally".

It happens because Microsoft Excel will do it by default.

An example (nothing new, just another one) of how the worst race profile are being created.

First two profiles, let's say that they are OK (or OKayish, at least), as they provide for a reasonable scaling plus a proper description of basic climb parameters:

w6-1024x485.jpg

w5-1024x580.jpg

But then comes the profile below, from the same race (a small 2.2. category race in Poland, nevermind):

w4-1024x542.jpg

There is nothing more irritating regarding the stage profiles than using the different Y (height/elevation) axis for each stage.

TRENDING THREADS