• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Yates (AKA the TUE Brothers)

Page 22 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

zlev11 said:
roundabout said:
Voet said that Zülle od'ed on cortisone. I dunno, I am not going to pretend that this is how should look, but I've always found it strange that a rider coming from Once with plenty of GT success is going to suddenly overuse cortisone just because allegedly he saw it work for Dufaux.

the goal was to beat Pantani or die trying

I went back and read some of Zulle's testimony to the Lille police in the Festina case. Wow. Either he was more honest than others, or he's lucky to be alive:

Zulle: I acknowledge having made use of EPO for about 4 years ... The first time, I was riding for the Spanish team ONCE. I used these drugs for each important race such as the Tour de France, the Giro, the Spanish Tour, having two injections of EPO 2000 per week, for about 3-4 weeks before each race and for the duration of the race ... While I was part of the ONCE team, this practice of using EPO operated in the same way, and I can say that the 20 or so riders consumed EPO under the control of Drs Terrados and another one called José ... I can't prove it but I think that these days you can find EPO in all the big teams ...

In today's cycling races, every rider knows that if they don't use EPO, they'll be left behind ... . For the first time, during the Tour de France this year, I took growth hormones as well as EPO ... It was Dr Rijkaert who gave me every two days during the first week of the Tour, a dose of growth hormones that I injected myself ...

Bolder said:
zlev11 said:
roundabout said:
Voet said that Zülle od'ed on cortisone. I dunno, I am not going to pretend that this is how should look, but I've always found it strange that a rider coming from Once with plenty of GT success is going to suddenly overuse cortisone just because allegedly he saw it work for Dufaux.

the goal was to beat Pantani or die trying

I went back and read some of Zulle's testimony to the Lille police in the Festina case. Wow. Either he was more honest than others, or he's lucky to be alive:

Zulle: I acknowledge having made use of EPO for about 4 years ... The first time, I was riding for the Spanish team ONCE. I used these drugs for each important race such as the Tour de France, the Giro, the Spanish Tour, having two injections of EPO 2000 per week, for about 3-4 weeks before each race and for the duration of the race ... While I was part of the ONCE team, this practice of using EPO operated in the same way, and I can say that the 20 or so riders consumed EPO under the control of Drs Terrados and another one called José ... I can't prove it but I think that these days you can find EPO in all the big teams ...

In today's cycling races, every rider knows that if they don't use EPO, they'll be left behind ... . For the first time, during the Tour de France this year, I took growth hormones as well as EPO ... It was Dr Rijkaert who gave me every two days during the first week of the Tour, a dose of growth hormones that I injected myself ...

To the bold comment...how so?

fmk_RoI said:
King Boonen said:
Koronin said:
fmk_RoI said:
Koronin said:
Add that Pinot also has ended up in the hospital.
Is that an argument for or against not doping? Whichever: Mauro Gianetti.

With Pinot I tend to think he's not doping as much as many of the others and his trip to the hospital to me adds to that. To me this would lead to the belief that peloton is cleaner than previously, although not clean. If that makes any sense.
Funny thing is, if it were Froome or Yates I’d guess the assumption from many would be a bad blood bag...
That does seem to be the problem here. Our mind is made up before these things happen, when they do, they just confirm what we think. We choose to ignore history for some and call it out as proof for others.
Yes. We've reached the point where any performance is either proof someone is or isn't doping. The clinic is becoming very much like politics, no-one wants to discuss anything, they just want to shout their position and ignore others.

Simon can't obviously, but Adam could.
Adam didn't go through the British Cycling & Road Academy System though like Simon did, so he might not feel any affiliation with Sky & Brailsford. Adam came through Dave Raynor fund using the French Amateur System with UVCA Troyes & CC Etupes to turn pro like David Millar essentially.

JosephK said:
Rollthedice said:
Asthma rides again. This time the program was fine tuned.
I, too, am inclined to look at today's ride by Simon with a skeptical eye. But maybe it's a tad more believable than a couple of the ET rides we've seen in other grand tours this year.

In the grand scheme of things (ie pro cycling) there was nothing extraordinary about that performance....a pure climber putting a minute into a clearly weak (As grand tours go) or out of form chasing pack, mostly matched by Pinot and SK.

In every race there has to be a winner, it's just a shame that in cycling suspicion automatically attaches itself to every winner. How sad :(

May 26, 2010
Visit site

brownbobby said:
JosephK said:
Rollthedice said:
I, too, am inclined to look at today's ride by Simon with a skeptical eye. But maybe it's a tad more believable than a couple of the ET rides we've seen in other grand tours this year.

In the grand scheme of things (ie pro cycling) there was nothing extraordinary about that performance....a pure climber putting a minute into a clearly weak (As grand tours go) or out of form chasing pack, mostly matched by Pinot and SK.

In every race there has to be a winner, it's just a shame that in cycling suspicion automatically attaches itself to every winner. How sad :(

Suspicion? WTF???

Simon Yates in April 2016 tested positive for the banned substance terbutaline in an in-competition test during Paris–Nice.

Yes, a shame and the rest are out of form! Another joke. Of course they are out of form becuase no one cares about winning a Grand Tour in Spain. FFS!!!!

May 26, 2010
Visit site
They have been breaking records on climbs this Vuelta, have they not. Out of form. FO!!!!!

Today was so fast for a near end of GT stage.

The sport is still doped to its gills.

brownbobby said:
JosephK said:
Rollthedice said:

I somewhat agreed on the weak contenders factor, but yet keep in mind Yates is trashing high ranked riders the likes of Quintana & Valverde on the 3rd week in an "astounding" fashion, given the fact that la Vuelta is about to finish and signs of exhaustion should have shown on him by now...... as opposed to be that "strong"....

Must say, the clinic have been really low key for this Vuelta...almost like some are only obsessed with a Kenyan that isn't riding this years race..

still well done Yates, being the best of the peloton thats "still doped to its gills"

those climbing times...all the proof that's needed

Re:

rick james said:
Must say, the clinic have been really low key for this Vuelta...almost like some are only obsessed with a Kenyan that isn't riding this years race..

still well done Yates, being the best of the peloton thats "still doped to its gills"

It's been low key because SKY is a no factor at all since neither the Magic Kenyan, nor G are "smashing it"-but what seems to be clinic material is the fact that "Another British" is about to win a Grand Tour this, completing the Trifecta. What is really going on in the UK nowadays in Pro-cycling in order to produce "grand Tour winners" in such short period of time?

hfer07 said:
rick james said:

It's been low key because SKY is a no factor at all since neither the Magic Kenyan, nor G are "smashing it"-but what seems to be clinic material is the fact that "Another British" is about to win a Grand Tour this, completing the Trifecta. What is really going on in the UK nowadays in Pro-cycling in order to produce "grand Tour winners" in such short period of time?
I think this is a very good point & question. And I also have to remind myself that Simon Yates was demolishing the Giro field -- which included the Magic Kenyan and Tom DuMoulin -- right up to his out-of-the-blue late 3rd week cracking. I have never seen a grand tour rider be so dominant for 2 1/2 weeks and then just disappear like that. Fans can point to Pinot's demise at the end of the Giro, but that seems different on several levels. First, Pinot was not looking superhuman in comparison to the other GC guys, even though he had clawed himself into a potential podium spot. And second, he got pneumonia.

TRENDING THREADS