Teams & Riders Tom Dumoulin discussion thread

Page 158 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Okay great, nice PR, but I wonder if it had anything to do with the (yes, perfectly legal) ketone supplements Jumbo are using (and Sunweb aren't and weren't).

Exogenous ketones can potentially cause serious stomach issues (and lower blood sugar levels, which could have have negatively affected his performance , as well)

Would their sponsors want that kind of publicity (again) , considering the headlines they got when they admitted to using them last year? Dumoulin is one of their star riders, also.

So... why was there a need to adjust his program weeks in advance?
Indeed. No idea what was going on, but this seems fishy.

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2015
Okay great, nice PR, but I wonder if it had anything to do with the (yes, perfectly legal) ketone supplements Jumbo are using (and Sunweb aren't and weren't).

Exogenous ketones can potentially cause serious stomach issues (and lower blood sugar levels, which could have have negatively affected his performance , as well)

Would their sponsors want that kind of publicity (again) , considering the headlines they got when they admitted to using them last year? Dumoulin is one of their star riders, also.

Indeed. No idea what was going on, but this seems fishy.
To be honest, that had little to no impact on Jumbo last year. It got lost in the hundreds of media articles in which Jumbo was talked about as THE exemple of a good and performing team within the peloton (justified seen the results, but after a while it gets tiring).

The ketones scenario, while funny if true, i can't really see it. Few teams are this organized as TJV, checking everything, eye for detail, nutrition... If Tom's testresults have really been going backwards for 2 months, it would be a huge oversight on their part.
Farfetched, but it sound plausible. At the end of the day it is humans working. They make mistakes.

Tom has a history of stomach issues... he could be sensitive to changes. I also think in the article, on cyclingnews, about his delay of start this season I believe they said "intestinal" problems.

Or he simply just got sick.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS