• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Tom Dumoulin discussion thread

Page 20 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
That's 30 seconds on a 50 K timetrial..that's a lot, if it's true.

They tested the new tires for 5 years, invested €43 million and was researched by the University of Turino. (just for those who don't understand the Dutch news article)

Look at that gaunt face, you could carve out the statue of David with those cheekbones. Sharp as a knife for 2016.

7227899494.jpg

Oct 6, 2009
Visit site
Re:

Vesica said:
That's 30 seconds on a 50 K timetrial..that's a lot, if it's true.

They tested the new tires for 5 years, invested €43 million and was researched by the University of Turino. (just for those who don't understand the Dutch news article)

Why would a company spend 43 million euros testing bike tires? That doesn't seem a very good return on investment. :confused:

Oct 19, 2015
Visit site
Landa, Valverde & Nibali should have him for breakfast after there teams get done isolating him but Top 5, a spell in pink and a stage win should be well within his reach.

Re:

MatParker1711 said:
Landa, Valverde & Nibali should have him for breakfast after there teams get done isolating him but Top 5, a spell in pink and a stage win should be well within his reach.

Uran, Majka, Pozzovivo, Chaves, Hesjedal are more likely to finish in top 5 than him. He said that Olympics are his biggest goal so maybe he'll not be in tip-top shape in Giro.
I think he'll finish in top 10 and will win one stage(that long ITT to Chianti)

Nibali, Landa, Valverde, Uran, Majka, Pozzovivo, Chaves, Hesjedal, Dumoulin, Zakarin...that's a very intersting startlist for Giro.

Jun 22, 2015
Visit site
Re: Re:

pink_jersey said:
MatParker1711 said:

Uran, Majka, Pozzovivo, Chaves, Hesjedal are more likely to finish in top 5 than him. He said that Olympics are his biggest goal so maybe he'll not be in tip-top shape in Giro.
I think he'll finish in top 10 and will win one stage(that long ITT to Chianti)

Nibali, Landa, Valverde, Uran, Majka, Pozzovivo, Chaves, Hesjedal, Dumoulin, Zakarin...that's a very intersting startlist for Giro.
illnur will rip them apart!

Oct 19, 2015
Visit site
Re:

yaco said:
I expect Dumoulin to podium with 3 TT at the Giro. Remember he put 1 to 2 minutes on the field in the Giro TT. Does that in the two flat TT and holds the line in the MTT. And this Giro is less hilly than in past editions.

His team is going to stink though, Astana, Sky and Movistar will be able to rip his team apart well before the final climb in the mountains. Unlike Wiggins Tom doesn't have two strong climbers and a multiple GT winner as his support.

MatParker1711 said:
yaco said:
I expect Dumoulin to podium with 3 TT at the Giro. Remember he put 1 to 2 minutes on the field in the Giro TT. Does that in the two flat TT and holds the line in the MTT. And this Giro is less hilly than in past editions.

His team is going to stink though, Astana, Sky and Movistar will be able to rip his team apart well before the final climb in the mountains. Unlike Wiggins Tom doesn't have two strong climbers and a multiple GT winner as his support.

Posted that Dumoulin should target the Giro when the route was announced - Dumoulin had little support at the Vuelta and did a fine job - Dumoulin can take 3 or 4 minutes from his rivals in the two TT - he holds his own in the MTT and he can afford a bad day in the mountains.

For example landa is a poor TT and Chavez is only average - Nibali is solid at TT and Valverde can do good TT's - So as you can see if Dumoulin is in form he will be super competitive.

MatParker1711 said:
yaco said:

When and where did Wiggins have a multiple GT winner for support? Wiggins was basically dumped after that Future GT winner had his late 2011/2012 transformation after 5 years as a pro.

Back to Tom. I'd like to see him podium at the Giro, but it won't be easy!

MatParker1711 said:
yaco said:

Who?

yaco said:
MatParker1711 said:
yaco said:

Posted that Dumoulin should target the Giro when the route was announced - Dumoulin had little support at the Vuelta and did a fine job - Dumoulin can take 3 or 4 minutes from his rivals in the two TT - he holds his own in the MTT and he can afford a bad day in the mountains.

For example landa is a poor TT and Chavez is only average - Nibali is solid at TT and Valverde can do good TT's - So as you can see if Dumoulin is in form he will be super competitive.

Sorry but he can't...The first ITT is 10km long...He'll be up there with Cancellara and Kiry(if he rides) for the win but he'll not beat the likes of Nibali, Valverde, Uran, Zakarin, Majka, Peraud with more than 20-30s and the likes of Landa, Chaves, Pozzovivo, with more than 40-45s...the distance is too short. Then, don't forget that the second ITT is hilly and technical...I think the likes of Nibali, Valverde, Uran can be within 1 minute of him. Valverde was at 1.08 of him in a much flatter ITT in Vuelta.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Sensible decision. He wants the Olympic TT gold more than anything, the Tour would have been an unnecessary risk. A Giro podium should certainly be possible.

Re:

classicomano said:
Ive read/listened to several interviews with Tom over the last few weeks and hes absolutely obsessed with the Olympics. I wouldnt be surprised if he doesnt really bother with the GC at all during the Giro.

He said himself he doesnt care about the Giro GC this year just about the ITTs so if he is honest then he wont bother.

TRENDING THREADS