• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Tom Dumoulin discussion thread

Page 190 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
So whats next for him, Tour?
0 chance he goes to the Tour. I think a rest, medical checkups, and a reasonably slow rebuild are in the cards. Probably Benelux Tour, some fall classics.

I don't think he'll be riding La Vuelta even.

He's scheduled for contract talks after this season. Guess that's not something he'll look forward to.

I think he's in a spot were no team will want to get him as a leader, but many would probably take a punt on him as a TT/stage hunter who may hit the jackpot and find his GC legs again. Or as a domestique.

My guess is Jumbo would make an offer but obviously strongly reduced.

Koen Bouwman saying Dumoulin did his back in changing clothes. Weird story. But he really emphasizes his mood was really good throughout the race and that he was a good team player all throughout.

Yeah, I think mentally he is actually fine this season. It's now physically.

Back pain could also be induced by lack of race rythm in my opinion.
Look his time trials are still fine, he was 3rd in UAE and 3rd here. This to me tells the watts are there. He can't do them in a road race after 3/4 hours on a bike however.

That to me, just means he has been out of it for too long. And forcing it might have forced the back issues. I don't know if you even can come back to the old level after being so out of it. But he should just try and build up in small races. Some smaller conti stage races, then maybe a Tour of Pologne or Tour of Benelux. Get those races in. Not 100 training camps at altitude and then falter at the first test

Yeah, I think mentally he is actually fine this season. It's now physically.

Back pain could also be induced by lack of race rythm in my opinion.
Look his time trials are still fine, he was 3rd in UAE and 3rd here. This to me tells the watts are there. He can't do them in a road race after 3/4 hours on a bike however.

That to me, just means he has been out of it for too long. And forcing it might have forced the back issues. I don't know if you even can come back to the old level after being so out of it. But he should just try and build up in small races. Some smaller conti stage races, then maybe a Tour of Pologne or Tour of Benelux. Get those races in. Not 100 training camps at altitude and then falter at the first test
Pretty much. That crash last year was really disturbing, cause he was finally starting to be really good in road races again in Benelux.

Now he's at a crossroads too, because he's at the end of his contract. I can see Jumbo try to keep him for much lower wages because they still can use a Dumoulin in races like the Giro, and as a TT winner. Alternatively, I can see a team that normally emphasizes breakaways and more free roles more work as well, like Trek, EF or Giant-Alpecin be in for him.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Pologne, Benelux, Italian fall races or even Canadian - just to get the zip back in the legs and racing miles with low pressure. Hopefully helps build hunger for next season
I think the biggest problem is that for the moment he's stuck in some sort of limbo. Since joining TJV he has never really achieved much other than his Olympic medal. During the 2020 TDF we knew we couldn't expect the best Dumoulin, and while he was far from his best form, he wasn't bad either. Then he took some time off and came back with more hunger. But so far we haven't seen a glimpse of the GC rider he once was.

Is he lacking race days? Could he still be a viable GC option? Then he should get back in the saddle as fast as possible imho and try to get some races in those legs, and work towards the Vuelta. That way he could see if there enough improvement to be made by august/september. If he doesn't get those racedays now, then i fear he won't be ready for the Vuelta, and if he tries again next year, he will have lost an other year, with no idea whether or not he still has it in him. Or perhaps facing the same issue once again.

Does he even want to anymore, last year all signs pointed to 'no' but this year he seemed to want it again. But if they really don't know what caused this, they don't know what they are fighting against. And i could easily see him lose interest or motivation.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
There go the Dutch hopes of winning the Tour de France again. But then for how July focused we are the Dutch media have given him virtually 0 respect in the last few years.

I had hoped to see the best of him again, but if this is best for him, then so be it. Greatest Dutch rider of the last 30 years, and maybe the most talented we ever had.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS