• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tom 'Pidders' Pidcock

Page 33 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Is it true that Ineos wants to turn him into a gc rider (after the Olympics)?

That was always the plan. He's the only one still riding the three disciplines at the highest level, and winning The MTB Worlds this year, Olympics next are his main goals afaik. After that, focus mainly on the road.

Some people seem in a rush to judge what level he can reach already, which is understandable. Evenepoel was being written off as GC contender after The TDS last year. My guess is that he'll be an elite GC rider who can compete in most one day races. But I've said for a long time, we probably won't really know till 2025?

Last edited:
That was always the plan. He's the only one still riding the three disciplines at the highest level, and winning The MTB Worlds this year, Olympics next are his main goals afaik. After that, focus mainly on the road.

Some people seem in a rush to judge what level he can reach already, which is understandable. Evenepoel was being written off as GC contender after The TDS last year. My guess is that he'll be an elite GC rider who can compete in most one day races. But I've said for a long time, we probably won't really know till 2025?

Yes! Too many people are forgetting he's still doing 3 disciplines....and has World Tour/Cup wins in them all. It's an achievement to be good at one. He's also the first Olympic MTB Champion to get a podium at LBL.....

Are we being harsh on the lad? He's not really had much racing in the legs this season after TA. I do think the cobbled classics are a bit beyond him. But look at t'old Pogi eh?

To say he has Top 10 in the following 1 day races;

Omloop
Strade
Amstel
LBL

The the following stage races;
Volta
Stage 2 7th
Stage 4 1st
7th on GC Overall
8th on points
6th on mountains

TA
Stage 6 - 9th.

Reactions: jmdirt
thats what I've been thinking for a while. He's clearly much more suited to the Ardennes and even admits that himself.
I'd say his most suited 5 races are the Ardennes, MSR and SB. That's not to say he can't get some good results on the cobbles - he clearly can. And he's shown he can be good right throughout the Classics period - he won SB but still finished 2nd in LBL. I'd say he should keep the same programme next year.

Also feel Pidcock is being unfairly compared to VDP, Van Aert, Pogacar etc..
He is a different ridertype to me, and has the disadvantage that while extremely talented and making progress each year, the others he is competing against are still getting stronger as well. The other ' super' riders have all shown levels higher than what they did in 2020 or 2021.
Pidcock needs to 'catch up' at some point and then he'll start winning these monuments as well. I have no doubt he can do it.

Also feel Pidcock is being unfairly compared to VDP, Van Aert, Pogacar etc..
He is a different ridertype to me, and has the disadvantage that while extremely talented and making progress each year, the others he is competing against are still getting stronger as well. The other ' super' riders have all shown levels higher than what they did in 2020 or 2021.
Pidcock needs to 'catch up' at some point and then he'll start winning these monuments as well. I have no doubt he can do it.
Good point. I think to reach the next level, either in classics or GTs, he will need to focus on the road even more.

This year he seemed to be at the same level as before, despite skipping CX wc, but he did have a concussion...maybe emulate Remco's prep, which seems to be perfectly timed.

Pidcock is actually the rider I admire the most, among the current best.

He takes risks all the time, in everything he does. And nevertheless, he rides with the best in the hardest road races.

I hope he continues to get his rewards from everything. I would hate to see that he one day suffers evil injuries, or evil health problems, or other unpleasant stuff.

And, he‘s such a legend already: Olympic Champion, World Champion, Alpe d‘Huez winner. I hope he wins a Monument, and a GT, one day…

Pidcock is actually the rider I admire the most, among the current best.

He takes risks all the time, in everything he does. And nevertheless, he rides with the best in the hardest road races.

I hope he continues to get his rewards from everything. I would hate to see that he one day suffers evil injuries, or evil health problems, or other unpleasant stuff.

And, he‘s such a legend already: Olympic Champion, World Champion, Alpe d‘Huez winner. I hope he wins a Monument, and a GT, one day…
Very nicely put... couldn’t agree more.
And if you fancy a break from watching road racing in the not so distant future, watch Tom do what he does best, race MTB XCO.

I really don't understand Pidcock's planning.

He does a three week break after the CX season, goes to the Algarve, then all the way to Belgium to race Omloop, then goes to Italy to race Strade Bianche and Tirreno-Adriatico where he gets injured but returns in time of Dwars and Ronde before doing the three Ardennes classics and now he is already riding MTB instead of taking at least a few weeks break?

His coach should know better than me but given that during the last season he already had to skip the World Championships because of a knee injury, I think racing so much without a proper rest period during the season could take away years to his career.

Reactions: Sandisfan
I really don't understand Pidcock's planning.

He does a three week break after the CX season, goes to the Algarve, then all the way to Belgium to race Omloop, then goes to Italy to race Strade Bianche and Tirreno-Adriatico where he gets injured but returns in time of Dwars and Ronde before doing the three Ardennes classics and now he is already riding MTB instead of taking at least a few weeks break?

His coach should know better than me but given that during the last season he already had to skip the World Championships because of a knee injury, I think racing so much without a proper rest period during the season could take away years to his career.

The kid is ambitious. It might be both his strength and weakness.

So far he has delivered and been able to perform throughout every discipline.

We dont know how he is behind the scenes... maybe he isnt the guy that takes no for an answer or dont take to well to being told on what he should do or not.

As he races this much... he probably doesnt go for huge and long recovery rides in training. At least I assume that.

First MTB race of the season he finishes and wins against a top class field. Obviously not fully adjusted to MTB yet, but had enough to see off Fleuckiger, with Schurter 3rd in his home town race. He's so naturally gifted at this discipline and has said it's the one he likes the most, but so did MVDP who seems to have sacrificed it? Will be a shame if Pidcock has to do the same, but I can't see it working if he wants to fully explore his GC ambitions?

Reactions: Gwbert and Didinho
First MTB race of the season he finishes and wins against a top class field. Obviously not fully adjusted to MTB yet, but had enough to see off Fleuckiger, with Schurter 3rd in his home town race. He's so naturally gifted at this discipline and has said it's the one he likes the most, but so did MVDP who seems to have sacrificed it? Will be a shame if Pidcock has to do the same, but I can't see it working if he wants to fully explore his GC ambitions?
The uphill sprints each lap just before the end were pretty funny, dropping Fluckiger every single time.

Reactions: stonerider