• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tony Martin Bandwagon thread

Page 26 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Will Tony Martin reach a Top Ten overall finish at this year's Tour de France

• Hell No

Votes: 4 100.0%

• Total voters
Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
18-Valve. (pithy) said:
Yes, he's allowed to go.

CAS overturned that rule last October. I believe the IOC can propose an amendment, but that won't affect the 2012 Olympics.

Sucks for all the other athletes that can't go just because of their nationality, but that's not Valverde's fault of course. If he can go, he can go.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
Sucks for all the other athletes that can't go just because of their nationality, but that's not Valverde's fault of course. If he can go, he can go.

what do you mean?? all can go. what federations are stopping formerly doped riders then? I believe thomas will do olympics as well

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
what do you mean?? all can go. what federations are stopping formerly doped riders then? I believe thomas will do olympics as well

Lashawn Merrit first couldn't go, but they changed the rules in the USA so he could go. There are plenty of countries who don't take ex-dopers like the UK for example.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Ah yes. The famous Tour podium Olympic tt gold, double. The tP-ottG.

What every rider sets out to achieve in their career:rolleyes:

ha haha ... I am at work and just couldn't swallow my laugh when I red this.
I really missed this thread. To bad it won't be the same from Grand Colombier 1'st km untill next January.

luckyboy said:
Ugh are we going to have this ridiculous delusion that Martin is a GT rider for another season?

You bet ya! This thread is one of the best reasons to frequent the forum :D

Now I ought to focus on getting myself a life :p

I love how during the high mountains in the Tour, PL gets himself into a lather about all the riders that are going off the back - as if they have never been dropped before. "And who's this? Well unless my eyes are deceiving me, this is Tony Martin, dangling off the back of the peleton, and we've barely started on the early slopes of the Grand Columbier. And he's one of the BIG favourites." :rolleyes:

Then PS will chime in with, "He must be having a bad day Phil."

I can't wait :D

gregrowlerson said:
You bet ya! This thread is one of the best reasons to frequent the forum :D

Now I ought to focus on getting myself a life :p

I love how during the high mountains in the Tour, PL gets himself into a lather about all the riders that are going off the back - as if they have never been dropped before. "And who's this? Well unless my eyes are deceiving me, this is Tony Martin, dangling off the back of the peleton, and we've barely started on the early slopes of the Grand Columbier. And he's one of the BIG favourites." :rolleyes:

Then PS will chime in with, "He must be having a bad day Phil."

I can't wait :D

True, its one of the funnier thread to read

Parrulo said:
:confused: why should second place in GC be a lock?

Given that he only had to survive a 3km climb and has a flat (boring) 26km ITT to get any time lost, back, first position would have seemed to be a lock, at the start of the week.
Algarve parcours were a generous gift from the gods of the clock.
As it is, I reckon he'll end up 3rd or 4th.

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Bavarianrider said:
Solid performance by Tony, given his knee problems it was a good start into the season.
I am just gladthis crap race is over now and we can move on to Paris Nice. Let the real racing begin!

Lol. If Martin won you wouldn't call it crap.

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Obivously, as he isn't winning, if he was it wouldn't be mentioned ;) And it's Bavarianrider who only mentions it too after Pisti pointed it out ;) We don't even know how bad it was.

smiles_407.gif