• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France 2017 Stage 12: Pau > Peyragudes 214.5km

Page 30 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Oude Geuze said:
Why was it not a great stage? A war of atrition, psychology, bluffs, attacks, drops, and 4 riders within 1min overall. So many whiny, elitist fans here, only an attack from 50k by 2nd tier niche fan favorite warrants a good stage. Its like a competition on who dislikes races the most, as if that gives you some weird street cred in this forum.

And yeah, why would an arbitrary division of the earth make any differences whatsoever in whos top 10?

And lol at the vitreol directed against Froome, take a step back, get some perspective or scurry off back to the clinic with the rest of the haters.

It was a fine stage, but like it or not people are always going to tend to prefer stages when riders are actively attacking each other and the bunch isn't just whittled down by a reltenless grinding tempo that steadily cracks riders one by one.

Oude Geuze said:
Why was it not a great stage? A war of atrition, psychology, bluffs, attacks, drops, and 4 riders within 1min overall.
A little overstated. But there's definitely some truth to that. Cycling is one of the few sports where even among hardcore fans few appreciate buildup and defense.

Also, northern and southern hemispheres aren't arbitraty, like eastern and western. And I do think it's a good sign that the sport is more global, but YMMV.

Oude Geuze said:
Why was it not a great stage? A war of atrition, psychology, bluffs, attacks, drops, and 4 riders within 1min overall. So many whiny, elitist fans here, only an attack from 50k by 2nd tier niche fan favorite warrants a good stage. Its like a competition on who dislikes races the most, as if that gives you some weird street cred in this forum.

And yeah, why would an arbitrary division of the earth make any differences whatsoever in whos top 10?

And lol at the vitreol directed against Froome, take a step back, get some perspective or scurry off back to the clinic with the rest of the haters.

This man does have a point :D

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site

red_flanders said:
deValtos said:
fauniera said:
mb2612 said:
Uran and Bennett penalised 20 seconds for some reason

What a sensible and competent jury this is. **** them.

I think it's a stupid rule they should get rid of but now I do remember Froome had a 20s penalty for food in 2013 so it's been done before.

Yes, penalties have been given out by race juries before. Even before Froome, if one can imagine such a time...

Wow.

Thanks for your sarcastic reply. Appreciate it buddy! :p

Oude Geuze said:

1. Nothing happened until the last half a kilometer
2. Sky train is boring and ridiculous
3. They waited for Froome and Aru and should have kept riding
4. Mostly #1

deValtos said:
red_flanders said:
deValtos said:
fauniera said:
mb2612 said:
Uran and Bennett penalised 20 seconds for some reason

What a sensible and competent jury this is. **** them.

I think it's a stupid rule they should get rid of but now I do remember Froome had a 20s penalty for food in 2013 so it's been done before.

Yes, penalties have been given out by race juries before. Even before Froome, if one can imagine such a time...

Wow.

Thanks for your sarcastic reply. Appreciate it buddy! :p

I'm here for ya! :D

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site

luckyboy said:
Vaughters claims Bardet took refreshment in last 20km too. Anybody see where? Not on top of Peyresourde anyway

"Rigo took bottle from spectator within final 10k. We accept penalty. However, Bardet did exactly the same-On video-He needs same penalty."

He says on video even, so let's have a look ...

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site

deValtos said:
luckyboy said:
Vaughters claims Bardet took refreshment in last 20km too. Anybody see where? Not on top of Peyresourde anyway

"Rigo took bottle from spectator within final 10k. We accept penalty. However, Bardet did exactly the same-On video-He needs same penalty."

They showed it on french TV too so yeah he should get the same penalty I suppose. this rule is ridiculous but should be applied in a fair way. Is it 20 k or less though ?

deValtos said:
luckyboy said:

I saw Bennett and Uran take bottles but not Bardet.

Alexandre B. said:
Oude Geuze said:

14 riders at the summit of Balès was apparently not good enough for their entertainment.
14 riders at the top of Bales was good. The fact four were from the same team wasn't. Nothing happening (at all) on the Peyresourde was abysmal. Nothing happening until the final 300-400m of Peyragudes was horrific. There was nothing worth watching in this stage until the last 500m. I feel like I have wasted an hour or two of my life, and that to me shows that this stage was utterly awful

Oude Geuze said:

You have come to the wrong place. But you are of course right. These threads are mostly for some entertainment when the stage is a bit... you know...

deValtos said:
luckyboy said:

I would think it is extremely ill advised for a rider to take a bottle from a spectator: was it not a team employee?

The vast majority of spectators will be honesty and intend no harm to riders, but those who are partisan or malicious could cause no end of problem with the contents of a bottle.

fauniera said:
Eshnar said:
As much as I'd like to agree, I'm afraid not. Aru got a yellow jersey, Bardet got a stage win and Uran would sign a top-5 with his blood. Everybody satisfied.
I don't think Uran is content with top 5. The podium is possible, if not more.
True But at the same time I think he won't mind if every mountain stage from here on out ends in a sprint as long as he's in it.

Brullnux said:
Alexandre B. said:
Oude Geuze said:

14 riders at the summit of Balès was apparently not good enough for their entertainment.
14 riders at the top of Bales was good. The fact four were from the same team wasn't. Nothing happening (at all) on the Peyresourde was abysmal. Nothing happening until the final 300-400m of Peyragudes was horrific. There was nothing worth watching in this stage until the last 500m. I feel like I have wasted an hour or two of my life, and that to me shows that this stage was utterly awful
This.

This is also partially on the route though. The Peyragudes is just a *** climb, and the fact that it's either attack from 8km or in the last 1.5 or so, gives way too big a chance to completely blow. The climb has seen 2 Tour's and 1 Vuelta now, all hard stages, and not one of them was good.