• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France 2017 Stage 16: Le Puy to Romans-sur-Isère

Page 20 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

StryderHells said:
RattaKuningas said:
Ikbe ngodniet said:
What a tour for Sunweb this is. Must be pretty good entering that bus every day.

Indeed. Couldn't have been a better day for them today.

You'd think they will push early again tomorrow to drop Kittel over the Cat 2 and give Matthews a chance at the intermediate sprint, it might also give Barguil a chance to get away.

I don't think that they have to do that. Matthews just has to go with break (+couple of teammates to set fast enough tempo on the climb should Kittel be in the break as well).

Pirazziattacks said:
Forever The Best said:
Lol ES commentators saying that what Matthews did today and what Sagan did on stage 4 aren't different. :D :lol:
Sagan elbowed Cavendish, Matthews just closed the door, not even comparable.
Matthews wasn't close to putting Degenkolb into the barriers there, I think Degenkolb didn't realise how much space he had. Degenkolb almost got himself caught up behind Matthews early when he could've used the space to his right instead.
I also think Matthews shouldn't be relegated. This kind of sprint happens almost every time. So, I agree with you.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site

movingtarget said:
Lupi33x said:
Frankschleck said:
Lupi33x said:
that was Degenkolb's if he had a clear run at the line

edvald came a lot faster

Edvald came faster but he was too late. He had a clear run.
Degenkolb was impeded by the wayward aussie.

It was a clean sprint.

No, it wasn't. If you look at where Matthews looks and how he chooses his line, its not a clean sprint. He obviously tries to block Degenkolb.

Huck23 said:
movingtarget said:
Lupi33x said:
Frankschleck said:
Lupi33x said:
that was Degenkolb's if he had a clear run at the line

edvald came a lot faster

Edvald came faster but he was too late. He had a clear run.
Degenkolb was impeded by the wayward aussie.

It was a clean sprint.

He moved off his line but not enough to endanger Degenkolb or cost him the race. He finished third anyway.

Re:

yaco said:
Big fail by Quick Step today - They only needed one or a maximum two riders to bring back Kittel. You can say they've done an FDJ.
Clearly they needed mroe as kittel didn't get back. But Martin paid for it - even tough he himself shares some of the blame, he still had two team mates (although Brambilla isn't useful in these situations) but missed the split. Aru and Uran managed with one or none.

StryderHells said:
AICA ribonucleotide said:
2.3.036 Sprints
Riders shall be strictly forbidden to deviate from the lane they selected when launching into the sprint and, in so doing, endangering others.

They key word in that rule is "and", Matthews deviated but did he endanger Dagenkolb? I don't think he did.
The rule is unclear. There are two kinds of punishments, one for irregular sprinting and another for dangerous sprinting.

Netserk said:
StryderHells said:
AICA ribonucleotide said:
2.3.036 Sprints
Riders shall be strictly forbidden to deviate from the lane they selected when launching into the sprint and, in so doing, endangering others.

They key word in that rule is "and", Matthews deviated but did he endanger Dagenkolb? I don't think he did.
The rule is unclear. There are two kinds of punishments, one for irregular sprinting and another for dangerous sprinting.

Of course it's unclear! It's a UCI rule ;)

TRENDING THREADS