• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France Tour de France 2022: Stage 17 (Saint-Gaudens – Peyragudes, 129.7k)

Page 30 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Yep.

Questions like "Why are you talking about that here? " and "Why don't you take it to the clinic?"

don't forget the special:

in this section

'you guys should be banned, you dont follow the rules, this can only be discussed in the clinic, go over there to talk about it'

same guy in the clinic

'you dumb fools are obsessed , it's obvious you only hate my guy because of his nationality/team/hair'

McNulty, Man of the day. What a performance. Absolutly ridiculous. To me, on par with Padun back-to-back performances in last year Dauphine. He dropped everyone but two guys who are in their own class right now. He put 1 minute to Thomas on penultimate climb and additional 30 or 45s on last climb. And Brandon was all that time in the front, no rest. In the meantime Thomas was riding on the wheels in the descent and first false flat part to the last climb. And still Thomas lost 30s to McNulty in the last climb. Just wow.

I guess UAE has ther "co-leader" for the next year TDF so Pogi doesn't have to react on every move from Jonas/Roglic. He can TT, he can climb better than Kuss and Thomas, is punchy, has some sprint. Just perfect.

McNulty, Man of the day. What a performance. Absolutly ridiculous. To me, on par with Padun back-to-back performances in last year Dauphine. He dropped everyone but two guys who are in their own class right now. He put 1 minute to Thomas on penultimate climb and additional 30 or 45s on last climb. And Brandon was all that time in the front, no rest. In the meantime Thomas was riding on the wheels in the descent and first false flat part to the last climb. And still Thomas lost 30s to McNulty in the last climb. Just wow.

I guess UAE has ther "co-leader" for the next year TDF so Pogi doesn't have to react on every move from Jonas/Roglic. He can TT, he can climb better than Kuss and Thomas, is punchy, has some sprint. Just perfect.
Maybe today was McNulty's best ride, ever. (I know he's won a few races, but today was another level.)

Reactions: Sandisfan
Yes it's pretty easy now for Jumbo tomorrow. Just let a big break go up the road so that there are no time bonuses on offer. Mark the UAE guys Bjerg and McNulty (hirschi is irrelevant) with van Aert and benoot so that there's no one up the road for Pogi or it's an even battle.

they don't have to worry about Ineos anymore or any other GC contender in a break, as it's enough time in between the Top 3 an the rest now. Also I donÄt think anyone out of the Top 8 will try to go in a break after this day today. Maybe again Lutsenko or Mas but they are even far away from the Top 5.

Vingegaard then hust have to fight of 1 or 2 early accelerations from Pogi and then it's probably down to hautacam, where it will be difficult to fin 90 seconds if Vingegaard doesn't blow completely.

The battle between place 4 and 8 will see some movement. Gaudu got really saved today by the team after struggling early on. Vlasov really great overall in the pyrenees much better then in the alps. But can he hang on one more day? if so he could overtake Meintjes and Bardet in the TT. Meintjes really with a great performance. he's really grown as a rider and Intermarche has it all this year. 2 Top 10s in the Giro + 2 stage wins. Probably a top ten in the tour. Gent-Wevelgem, the Taco breakaway show's...it will be interesting if this season is just a one off.

You are right we should open a Topic in The Clinic section B.McNulty The New Armstrong.

Vingegaard looks completely in control now, but despite all of that the longer I think about it the more I realize how similar the narrative of Pog vs. Vingo has become after the Granon stage, to the narrative of Pog vs. Roglic in 2020.

Pogacar constantly tries to drop Vingegaard but only manages to outsprint him for bonus seconds, Vingegaard looks like he is actually the stronger of the two and might be able to drop Pogacar if only he tried and althought there is still a stage 20 ITT to come there is no way you can gain that much on Vingegaard there, right?

Now change every instance of the name "Vingegaard" in the last sentence to "Roglic" and you will realize it perfectly summarizes what all of us were thinking during the Alps stages in 2020. I'm not saying history is going to repeat itself and there are certainly a few differences that go against Pog compared to two years ago, but I still want to stay cautious thinking of how I've been in a very similar situation before and was completely fooled.

Big result for Jonas today and his team Jumbo Visma sadly were nowhere, and dropped on the early peaks (Kuss 10min after front and Van Aert 20min) a little worrying with tomorrow stage in mind if they again drop that early
Jonas has also been alone on the previous mountain stages, but mostly at the final climbs where Pogacar had helpers.
Mainly AlpedHuez stage where Jonas had Kuss for some of the climb
Wicked support Bjerg and Mcnulty offered Pogacar today.

An extra 1:20 on a flat TT (vs. a mountain TT) feels like a world of difference.

You'd think so, but never know what could happen. It's a long enough TT so who knows. Vingegaard get a mechanical or crash and it could be all the difference. I know I'd rather try when I was feeling strong on terrain I'm good on to go for the kill and break Pogacar and take another 40/50 seconds than leave even a remote chance Pogacar thinks he can win

Big result for Jonas today and his team Jumbo Visma sadly were nowhere, and dropped on the early peaks (Kuss 10min after front and Van Aert 20min) a little worrying with tomorrow stage in mind if they again drop that early
Jonas has also been alone on the previous mountain stages, but mostly at the final climbs where Pogacar had helpers.
Mainly AlpedHuez stage where Jonas had Kuss for some of the climb
Wicked support Bjerg and Mcnulty offered Pogacar today.
Kuss was there with the last 5 guys. That’s not early.

Vingegaard looks completely in control now, but despite all of that the longer I think about it the more I realize how similar the narrative of Pog vs. Vingo has become after the Granon stage, to the narrative of Pog vs. Roglic in 2020.

Pogacar constantly tries to drop Vingegaard but only manages to outsprint him for bonus seconds, Vingegaard looks like he is actually the stronger of the two and might be able to drop Pogacar if only he tried and althought there is still a stage 20 ITT to come there is no way you can gain that much on Vingegaard there, right?

Now change every instance of the name "Vingegaard" in the last sentence to "Roglic" and you will realize it perfectly summarizes what all of us were thinking during the Alps stages in 2020. I'm not saying history is going to repeat itself and there are certainly a few differences that go against Pog compared to two years ago, but I still want to stay cautious thinking of how I've been in a very similar situation before and was completely fooled.
I agree that I don't think he can cut that time on Vigegaard. But they are being too extra cautious and anything can happen still. A flat in the ITT. A flat or mechanical on Friday. I would not risk it and go for the final kill tomorrow IMHO. You would think that Jumbo learned the lesson.

TRENDING THREADS