• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France Tour de France 2023, stage 3: Amorebieta-Etxano - Bayonne/Baiona, 193.5k

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I like the way the favourites have been very visible in the beginning of this Tour. However, the sprinter teams must be hungry now, and since there are not too many flat stages in this stage race, I expect those teams to try to control as much as they can on stage 3 - and on the other flat stages, too. That can make it hard for the breakaway riders - we have already seen the breakaways be annihilated on the two first stages.

I can't see WvA winning this. His sprinting has followed a pattern rather similar to Boonen and Sagan who went from governing bunch sprints to sprinting for the podium. He just doesn't seem to have that speed this year.

Cavendish for the win but I also actually rate Girmay for this. He probably doesn't have the top speed of Philipsen or Jakobsen but he's got that young explosiveness.

Last edited:
I can't see WvA winning this. His sprinting has followed a pattern rather similar to Boonen and Sagan who went from governing bunch sprints to sprinting for the podium. He just doesn't seem to have that speed this year.

Cavendish for the win but I also actually rate Girmay for this. He probably doesn't have the top speed of Philipsen or Jakobsen but he's got that young explosiveness.
Van Aert has participated in exactly two proper bunch sprints this year - a Tirreno and a Suisse where he was underwhelming outside of the sprints too. Far too early to say, especially given that he finished in the top-3 of literally every bunch sprint he did in 2022. Also, Sagan still won a pan-flat stage in the 2018 Tour, the last year before he started to decline, so isn't the best example either.

Van Aert has participated in exactly two proper bunch sprints this year - a Tirreno and a Suisse where he was underwhelming outside of the sprints too. Far too early to say, especially given that he finished in the top-3 of literally every bunch sprint he did in 2022. Also, Sagan still won a pan-flat stage in the 2018 Tour, the last year before he started to decline, so isn't the best example either.
Yeah after Groenewegen and Gaviria left.