• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour Match Up: Gesink v Van Den Broeck

Page 51 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will finish higher in the Tour de France?

• TGBM!!!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Sure, as i have read other posts of him that have immensely annoyed me. And to be fair, i just responded to him with a youtube clip, and only further explained my post further when you asked about it. (And to be clear, that wasn't directed at you, but i think you know).

PS: i said 3rd tier climber, not rider, i did not mean to offend those guys.

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Dutchsmurf said:
One day short. Close, but once again bad luck indeed.

bad luck? when bad luck keeps happening to you, you will ask yourself is this really bad luck? I think Gesink's psychological state is already severely damaged. My remedy for him is to give up tour for one year focus on Giro or Vuelta instead. Winning or podium one of them might bring his confidence back.

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
maxmartin said:
bad luck? when bad luck keeps happening to you, you will ask yourself is this really bad luck? I think Gesink's psychological state is already severely damaged.

3546394008_efce35642d.jpg

to the bold you obviously havent been paying attention or whatsoever to Gesink.

May 19, 2011
Visit site
SafeBet said:
The point is not Gesink himself.
It's Rabobank. That's what you get for sending a horrible team to the Giro and keeping all of your GC men for the Tour.

True, so i hope Geisink can compete in Giro with a strong team support next year. I think it is very healthy for him to put Tour away for a year. But oh well seems dutch cyclists are only interested in Tour.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Can't really blame this one on Gesink. Might be a blessing in disguise actually... Now he might win a stage(he won't be heavily marked) instead of riding for an anonymous fifth place. Lose more time tomorrow(or the day after) and go for the polkadots then...

May 31, 2011
Visit site
Dr.Sahl said:
Seems like Gesink is having a hard time.. he looked so demotivated today

I think that's mainly disappointment as he felt he was in really good shape.

El Pistolero said:
Can't really blame this one on Gesink. Might be a blessing in disguise actually... Now he might win a stage(he won't be heavily marked) instead of riding for an anonymous fifth place. Lose more time tomorrow(or the day after) and go for the polkadots then...

You could be right. If he can recover properly and manages to climb among the best, he won't be the first they react to when he would jump out of the fav's group.

May 19, 2011
Visit site
El Pistolero said:

i think he said if he didn't feel comfortable he would pull out to focus on Vuelta to learn from last year mistake. I don't think he is in good condition after the crash, Pieter weening pushed him quite a few times trying to help him to catch the wheel. It is possible that he will pull out. Let's he how he rode tomorrow if his heart was still in it.

maxmartin said:
i think he said if he didn't feel comfortable he would pull out to focus on Vuelta to learn from last year mistake. I don't think he is in good condition after the crash, Pieter weening pushed him quite a few times trying to help him to catch the wheel. It is possible that he will pull out. Let's he how he rode tomorrow if his heart was still in it.

That's because he rode LL Sanchez' bike :rolleyes:

he switched bikes after that moment again because he really couldn't ride on sanchez his bike

Dekker_Tifosi said:
That's because he rode LL Sanchez' bike :rolleyes:

he switched bikes after that moment again because he really couldn't ride on sanchez his bike
And interestingly, after getting a new bike he finished 3 minutes ahead of the Weening group.

To call Gesink psychologically weak is just a disgrace. If I had been through what this guy has had to face so far in his short pro career, I'd have quit cycling. That's for sure.

May 31, 2011
Visit site
theyoungest said:
And interestingly, after getting a new bike he finished 3 minutes ahead of the Weening group.

I believe Gesink and Weening were at the back of the Mollema/Schleck group for a moment. Gesink was struggling to stay there. And like mentioned, it was heart-warming to see Weening push Gesink to try and keep him in that group. By the way, I think it's really tricky to ride as hard as you can to limit time losses on another rider's bike. As it's a different size, you'll ask other small muscles to do work they're not trained for. More stiffness next day possibly for the likes of Mollema and Gesink.