• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour of Britain 2023 (September 3-10)

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I spent two weeks in the UK in August and it rained maybe 2-3 days. The weather was wonderful.
We even had a sunny day in Yorkshire! :D
A
I've been taking arm warmers and gilet with me for most of the "summer", and that's when it's dry, I've probably got rained on more this year than the last 5 years combined. It wasn't a bbq summer for sure.
its bizarre how humans can normalise cloudless skies and 30C+ temps for days on end in the U.K. ...

And you can't even pin it on the stage host locations. The Manchester and Gloucester stages could both be a lot harder, not to mention the laughable Wrexham stage. Then put a TT in Felixstowe and you have a good route.
I live in Gloucestershire, honestly they could have created a Liege Bastogne Liege style stage through the Cotswolds. They actually went out of their way to make a stage through a very hilly area flat, absolute garbage stage design.
It's such ashame because the Tour of Britain became a fantastic race with lots of hilly/undulating stages. The 2012,13, 14,16,18,21 were fantastic editions (2014 was a particularly great edition which was pure carnage) that had really hard stages with no flat and great racing.

That explains why they're going through those areas, but not why they don't use what those areas have to offer. It's like we've said on the Women's Tour multiple times, it's like they just draw lines between the areas that are paying without paying any mind to what is in that area. The East Anglian Women's Tour stages riding straight past the only hills in the area before a finish too dangerous for a safe sprint are particularly galling.
The recipe for Wrexham in that last sentence.

Reactions: Axel Hangleck
I genuinely feel sorry for the organisers. Putting on a pro stage race in the UK nowadays must be nearly impossible. I'm sure they're as disappointed with the parcours/startlist as anyone but I don't suppose there's much they can do about it
I guess two things:

Usually the Tour of Britain is a good warm up for the Worlds. Obviously this year that’s not the case.

I wonder if the sprint heavy parcours was originally designed with Cav’s farewell season in mind.

The recipe for Wrexham in that last sentence.
The Wrexham stage was such a missed opportunity - you can literally head straight west from Wrexham and take in any number of crazy and not so crazy climbs. Hardly anyone on the roads either and you could always loop back and finish in Wrexham/Chester etc if you need that stage start money. What I don’t understand is how they can create such a good final stage, but such a poor Wrexham one. It would have broken up the Olav wins a bit too.

Reactions: Scarponi

Latest posts